If Jerami Grant slips into the second round tonight... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If Jerami Grant slips into the second round tonight...

A solid junior year would have made him a top 20 pick. If he can't develop a jump shot, he's not playing in the NBA, whether he returned or not.

You're right, but now was his time to capitalize on draft stock, that's the whole point.

10 years ago? Different ballgame now man.

Why is that relevant, and how is it different? Warrick was an athletic dunker who was physically underdeveloped with a limited offensive game. He came back, improved his physique, got better every year, demonstrated that he could hit outside shots, and became a first round pick. He parlayed that into a successful, lucrative journeyman career in the bigs.

Seems like a solid comparison, given that Grant is an athletic dunker who is physically underdeveloped and currently has a limited offensive game.

Why is that relevant, and how is it different? Warrick was an athletic dunker who was physically underdeveloped with a limited offensive game. He came back, improved his physique, got better every year, demonstrated that he could hit outside shots, and became a first round pick. He parlayed that into a successful, lucrative journeyman career in the bigs.

Seems like a solid comparison, given that Grant is an athletic dunker who is physically underdeveloped and currently has a limited offensive game.

10 years is a long time ago. If Warrick was in this draft as a senior he would probably be late second round for the reasons you're giving.

Slipping to the second round means non guaranteed contract. ..forgoing another year to physically develop and improve his shooting as an integral part of su's offense is a huge mistake
Even if he goes in the first round, my feeling hasn't changed.
It was a mistake to leave.
With another year in college Jerami Grant likely would have been a lottery pick.

...and I'm not saying he will--keeping my fingers crossed and rooting like hell for the kid--but I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts that have him sliding out of the first.

If that happens, will his decision to declare be a mistake? I'm thinking that it would be, on the order of magnitude of Donte Greene.

Why do you put any stock on mock drafts? Most of them are written by idiots who are just throwing against a wall. The few that have NBA sources are fed BS from their sources as a means of creating smokescreens.

If a team believes that in that year he'll improve his jump shot in college, why would they think that wouldn't happen in the same season as a professional? If they believe that, picking him up mid-to-late 1st round is a STEAL.
Maybe they don't believe it, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. If they don't believe it, he makes a roster, and his jumpshot improves, a lot of teams will be kicking themselves. If he doesn't make a roster, and he would've improved his jumpshot this year in school, he'll be kicking himself. The problem is nobody can see the future, so nobody knows if it was a good or bad decision.

Regardless, it was the right decision for him and his family. He comes from a family of basketball pros so I don't think the money was the crucial factor. Even if he goes undrafted, he'll have a chance to go to some team's camp or worst case, play in Europe.
It was his decision to make, he made it- and as fans we can disagree all we want, it is/was his call. I think he made the right call & wish him the best.
Btw- Donte made MILLIONS of dollars and probably would've made more if not for his untimely injury, yet there are those who still think it "was a bad decision". Yeah, right. Fan arrogance never ceases to amaze.:rolleyes:
Just like with Jerami, nobody knows for sure. If he comes back to school for one more year and dominates while playing for a team that makes a run in the tournament, maybe he's a lottery pick. He did make millions, but he may have been able to make millions more. We can't jump in the delorean and see how things would've transpired had he played one more year.

This year's draft was stronger for the SF position than next year's draft will be, so he should have stayed another year at SU. He'd be top 10 next year. Now he's struggling to make the first round.

Why do you put any stock on mock drafts? Most of them are written by idiots who are just throwing against a wall. The few that have NBA sources are fed BS from their sources as a means of creating smokescreens.

I thought I qualified it sufficiently in the OP. Just to be clear, I do not put stock in any mock drafts. Nor am I predicting that he WILL slip into the second round.

I'm merely asking the question if the trend suggested in some mock drafts comes to pass and he falls out of the first round, will his decision to leave early be a mistake.

Last edited:
Neither one of our early entrants should've went. We couldn't even crack 60 points, like ever, and people were talking like we had 2 early entrant lottery picks. Get real...they say "potential lottery pick" about like 40 guys in March-April.

Both apparently gambled and didn't hit their potential jackpots.
That's a long way from saying that "they lost".

I would've loved to have seen both stay for another year. I believe everyone would've profited in the long run.

it is a huge failure. I think these kids and families put too much into the ridiculous chad ford mocks during the college season. the nba scouts don't actually care about these guys until they can get them in the private workouts. the players and go either way, look at dion versus jerami's stock after the workouts.

it is a huge failure. I think these kids and families put too much into the ridiculous chad ford mocks during the college season. the nba scouts don't actually care about these guys until they can get them in the private workouts. the players and go either way, look at dion versus jerami's stock after the workouts.

I think there's a lot of validity to your take. Right around the end of the college season, I remember reading an ESPN interactive mock draft that projected BOTH Ennis and Grant in the lottery. With that kind of "intel," it was tough to knock their decisions at the time, but obviously things didn't turn out that way.

I think there's a lot of validity to your take. Right around the end of the college season, I remember reading an ESPN interactive mock draft that projected BOTH Ennis and Grant in the lottery. With that kind of "intel," it was tough to knock their decisions at the time, but obviously things didn't turn out that way.
I think the point is that college production gets overrated by college fans. if it was all about college production than CJ would be a first rounder. it would also seem that the draft projections by some outlets only serve to pump the profile of the college games they are promoting.

I don't think anyone projected that 4 guys who won't even come to the US for another 2 years would be picked in the 1st round. I mean most people here liked Early's chances more than Grant and he's watching a guy who averaged 4.9 points in Brazil last year.

RF2044 said:

He could have asked us our opinion; we saw him play 35 times. The draft experts saw him play maybe a half dozen times.

Jerami grant for rookie of the year, you heard it here first.

Kids who are going to leave early aren't going to be swayed by that. Would be better for the program to have another 1st round pick