IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse? | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse?

Personally, I think there is little chance Syracuse joins the Big Ten. If the Big Ten expands up to 24 teams, I bet they go down the east coast with some combination of Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State or Miami.

On the west coast, there’s Cal, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado and Kansas that deliver bigger markets than Syracuse
It’s not simply about markets anymore. It’s about brands as well.

Kansas is a bigger market???
If you include Kansas City, which you should, yes it's much bigger. Unless you are including NYC for Syracuse.

This thread should be what happens when the Big 12 breaks up. The have significantly more risk than the ACC right now because they have no top tiers and their rights are split between two media companies that will have major Big and SEC renewals before the ACC. Usually the simplest answer is the most likely. If Fox and ESPN know that they will have to up the ante to maintain their respective ownership positions with the Big and SEC respectively, it sure as hell would seem more likely they would pull from a lame Big 12 league.
I would love to have the big 12 break up first and the ACC grab a West Coast division to go with Cal Stanford and SMU. Would grab Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma St, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, ASU.

Once we lose our top brands to the Big Ten/SEC (UVA UNC NCST CLEMSON FSU MIAMI) we backfill and still have an excellent conference.

ACC EAST
Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Louisville

Virginia Tech
Duke
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
UCF

ACC WEST
Stanford
Cal
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah

Colorado
Kansas
Oklahoma St
Houston
SMU

Last edited:
I want to join the Mountain West schools with Cal and Stanford and likely BC and Wake for football only and go back to the Big East for everything else. Just the most perfect scenario there is with great places to visit for FB games late kickoffs you can watch at the bar and a chance to win it every year.

Winless conference seasons would be realities in the Big Ten or SEC no interest ending up there.

I don't think the Big 12 is better than the Mountain West + Cal and Stanford and a couple Big East schools. Ames? Manhattan KS? Lubbock? Get real... no thanks...

If you include Kansas City, which you should, yes it's much bigger. Unless you are including NYC for Syracuse.
Well at least NYC is in the same state as Syracuse.

Well at least NYC is in the same state as Syracuse.
Kansas City is an hour from Lawrence. It's called "Allen Fieldhouse East"

Last edited:
How about the Thruway corridor (Buffalo to Albany) for SU?
I'll defer to you on those stats, but metro KC is 2.2 or 2.3 million depending on the site.

I would think that NYS and other states legislators might get involved to ensure that things get back on track. What we have now is a complete disaster.
This is inevitable at this point. Congress will get involved at some point.

I'll defer to you on those stats, but metro KC is 2.2 or 2.3 million depending on the site.
Drove over to KC two weeks ago, every time I’m there I always forget how much I love that town. Hit Joe’s and F325 BBQ (recommended by an employee of the Lowes Hotel). I know it’s probably a tourist thing to say, but all the KC BBQ I try I always think Joes and the Z Man is the best

This is inevitable at this point. Congress will get involved at some point.
UConn has been saying this for years. It hasn't worked for them yet.

I think the Big 10 gets UNC and UVA.

SEC should grab the ACC schools that they have those annual rivalries with.

That's FSU (UF), GT (UGA), Clemson (USC), Louisville (Kentucky).

Each at 20. They are done.

The rest of the ACC merges with the B12 and expand somehow to get to 30 or 32 or 36 or 40, etc..

Drove over to KC two weeks ago, every time I’m there I always forget how much I love that town. Hit Joe’s and F325 BBQ (recommended by an employee of the Lowes Hotel). I know it’s probably a tourist thing to say, but all the KC BBQ I try I always think Joes and the Z Man is the best
There is one downtown,I think it is Q39, that is really good.Try it next time you go.

There is one downtown,I think it is Q39, that is really good.Try it next time you go.
I'm coincidentally going to a BBQ place tomorrow outside Savanah

I still favor Texas BBQ but Carolina and GA BBQ ain't bad.

I hope their Brunswick Stew is good

Years ago when Joes wasn't yet a Tshirt tourist trap it had the best BBQ in KC.

I w
I wasn't referring to population; just asking how far you would extend the area considered to be part of a program's home turf. Besides which, there must be substantial K-State, U of Missouri, maybe even Wichita St. fan bases in KC. SU doesn't have any P-5 competitors in most of Upstate.

I would love to have the big 12 break up first and the ACC grab a West Coast division to go with Cal Stanford and SMU. Would grab Houston, Kansas, Oklahoma St, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, ASU.

Once we lose our top brands to the Big Ten/SEC (UVA UNC NCST CLEMSON FSU MIAMI) we backfill and still have an excellent conference.

ACC EAST
Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Louisville

Virginia Tech
Duke
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
UCF

ACC WEST
Stanford
Cal
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah

Colorado
Kansas
Oklahoma St
Houston
SMU
ACC West is hot garbage. Yuck.

I w

I wasn't referring to population; just asking how far you would extend the area considered to be part of a program's home turf. Besides which, there must be substantial K-State, U of Missouri, maybe even Wichita St. fan bases in KC. SU doesn't have any P-5 competitors in most of Upstate.
That's a good question and it can be debated. Lawrence is 40 miles from KC so I personally think that's reasonable.

You are right that there are substantial K State and Mizzou fans in the KC Metro area also. That's why they quite often try to play a game in the T-Mobile Center when they can. Kansas State is 130 miles from Kansas City and Mizzou is 125. In general, I'd say Kansas gets the most coverage on the local news, but there's no question all 3 get coverage, particularly if they are doing well.

I will concede whatever point you'd like me to. I just wanted to point out that the Kansas market is larger than you might think from someone who has a local perspective.

An ACC West division of Stanford, Cal, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma St, Houston and SMU is hot garbage??

Look at the market coverage: Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, SLC, SF, KC, Tucson, Tulsa/OKC. As a 3rd conference i think its excellent.
Market coverage yes, but as far as brand power, no.