IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse? | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse?

Market coverage yes, but as far as brand power, no.
maybe you’re the type of fan that wants Syracuse in the big east for all sports and as an eastern independent in football.

Personally, I don’t like that set up at all. I want Syracuse in an all sports conference with like-minded teams that gives us a chance for a conference championships.

maybe you’re the type of fan that wants Syracuse in the big east for all sports and as an eastern independent in football.

Personally, I don’t like that set up at all. I want Syracuse in an all sports conference with like-minded teams that gives us a chance for a conference championships.
Get football and basketball back where they should be and the Big 10 is the place to be.

This is the crux. Although this has been the historical paradigm, there is no reason for it to continue. The NFL isn't involved in baseball or basketball. The NBA has nothing to do with football or hockey (except to sometimes share arenas). And that's not even considering the individual sports.

The pro leagues are in a much better place than are NCAA college leagues.

As has been mentioned here and in many other places, the big-time football schools should break off and form their own organization. As it is now, D-I football is the one sport that the NCAA is not involved in (the CFP is in charge).

Then schools could reorganize into regional leagues for all of the non-football sports, returning some sanity to the whole project. (Not to mention saving travel costs and giving their athletes a chance to be real students.)

The question is--would SU qualify to be in a Big Boy Football League?

Personally, I don’t like that set up at all.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Just saying the teams in that proposed conference, especially the ACC West, would not excite the casual fan. And whether you like it or not, we need the casual support.

Su seems ok but this guy's ratings are crazy

Yeah, he’s got Pitt waaaaaaay too high.

And Rutgers - LOL.
It really all depends on what his factors are. And he never really specifies them.

I have to assume proximity to a major metropolitan area, and access to cable boxes are highly weighted.

No other explanation for Rutgers' score. It certainly can't be any sporting accomplishments.

100% agree, a private school conference

The NFL isn't involved in baseball or basketball. The NBA has nothing to do with football or hockey (except to sometimes share arenas). And that's not even considering the individual sports.

As has been mentioned here and in many other places, the big-time football schools should break off and form their own organization. As it is now, D-I football is the one sport that the NCAA is not involved in (the CFP is in charge).

Then schools could reorganize into regional leagues for all of the non-football sports, returning some sanity to the whole project. (Not to mention saving travel costs and giving their athletes a chance to be real students.)
College supports all the sports. This is like NFL owners also being MLB and NBA owners. Do you think they will not support any other team they are putting something into? Do you not assume there would be some sort of “profit share” amongst sports? This is why conferences exist in the first place. Now think about state schools. Do you think they will be allowed to pocket or reinvest all that tax revenue into one sport? Won’t tax payers want to see some of the windfall revenue from their own tax dollars put back into schools or road maintenance, or Especially one that doesn’t have many if any female athletes? If there is a football super conference, isn’t that baseball or hoops, or lax one around the corner? How many conferences will a school want or need to belong to?

Congress has lots of things they can ignore. They're very good at it.
Much agreed!!! There are certain states that control most of this country and NYS is definitely one of those states. Watch old Chucky get involved if SU is left out.

As I said before, it’s amazing to me that the power teams in the ACC that made the decisions are now regretting their own decisions and want out of the ACC due to their own decisions. FSU, Clemson, and UNC along with Duke and UVA have run this conference.

Last edited:
100% agree, a private school conference
How's this to start: Syracuse, BC, Wake, Georgia Tech, Miami, Stanford, Duke Tulane, SMU, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Northwestern, BYU. I never can figure out if Louisville, Cincy, Pitt are public or private. Also would consider Maryland, WVU, Cal, Washington St., Oregon St. Some schools might balk and go or stay elsewhere (Miami, Northwestern, Vandy, Big 12 schools) but I think you could put together a competitive conference that would interest the fan bases at those schools.

Last edited:
don't they have bigger things to worry about
well, they just recently dismissed the UFO rumors (again) so that should free them up to deal with this mess.

I would think that NYS and other states legislators might get involved to ensure that things get back on track. What we have now is a complete disaster.
You would think, if for anything Economic impact, Academic integrity. My confidence level is very low in the governing bodies. Going to be ok however for sure!

USL vs MLS

I think this is relevant to our potential future in a non P2 conference. The 2nd division league in soccer had a better network rating than the 1st division game. Now to be fair most MLS fans likely watched the game on Apple. But that in itself is an argument for a leftover ACC still getting decent TV money. The network TV watchers in soccer are more likely to be your casual soccer fans. And casual soccer fans are not buying Apple to watch games. Just like IMO casual CFB fans are not buying Peacock to watch B1G FB. So it seems from last weekend that more casual soccer fans tuned in to watch the 2nd division than the 1st. Although again to be fair the MLS game was at night and up against the NCAAT.

If you are going to reach casual fans you need access to games. Also with 4 major networks (5 if TNT ever entered the market), there is plenty of need for CFB content. There are more B1G/SEC fans than non B1G/SEC fans. But if one is trying to maximize profit from those fans, you end up cutting off access for casual fans and fans from other conferences. That is still a lot of eyeballs, so the money will be there.

Details about the proposed Super League:

This won't happen, of course, but it's an interesting concept. The geographically realigned divisions are great, but would need some tweaking (for example, there's no way Florida allows itself to be placed in a quasi-ACC). The rules for revenue sharing by player class are fascinating (and clearly intended to keep guys in school as long as possible).

Too messy. The last 10 you do not need. For the others why not keep conferences?

PAC 10
Big 10
SEC OGs

Are all at 10.

ACC OG + South Carolina
Big 8 + BYU/Utah
Big East OG + Penn State/Notre Dame/Louisville
SWC + ?/?

Just fill in those 2 blanks. Maybe UNLV as one. Maybe Tulane. Cincy ends up getting left out. UCF too.

The only way this super conference works is with unequal revenue sharing. A combo of brand and performance base. Ofcourse this brings it's own issues as institutions hate inconsistent income streams.

I do agree the leagues need some tweaking. For football regional is great but sometimes history should take precedent.

Alas, it won't happen...So we continue to drive college sports to the train station

Last edited:
Too messy. The last 10 you do not need. For the others why not keep conferences?

PAC 10
Big 10
SEC OGs

Are all at 10.

ACC OG + South Carolina
Big 8 + BYU/Utah
SWC + ?/?

Just fill in those 2 blanks. Maybe UNLV as one. Maybe Tulane. Cincy ends up getting left out. UCF too.

Is this what prompted the SEC and B1G to form their exploratory steering committee, LOL??

PAC 10
Big 10
SEC OGs

Are all at 10.

ACC OG + South Carolina
Big 8 + BYU/Utah
SWC + ?/?

You can't leave out Cincy and UCF. Both won the Golden Ticket out of AAC land.

I think the relegation conference is kinda cool. It would drive some eyeballs to games we normally don't watch.