If we shock the world on Saturday night... | Syracusefan.com

If we shock the world on Saturday night...

Eric15

Living Legend
That would be the biggest win for the Syracuse football program since... <year> <opponent>?

98 Michigan? 91 Florida? 87 PSU? 84 Nebraska? ...?

Hmm...don't really know how "shocking" it would be for anyone outside of us Orange fans. This years version of USC doesn't have very high expectations.

Are you serious? The whole football world would be schocked if we won saturday. People still view usc as usc and still view us as g-robs orangeman.

Hmm...don't really know how "shocking" it would be for anyone outside of us Orange fans. This years version of USC doesn't have very high expectations.

Actually, that is untrue. I'm a Trojan. You can throw away last season. Dealing with the sanctions, new coaching staff, big defensive losses, lack of motivation, etc. Trojan fans are much more excited about this season. This is still a team with loads of Top 5-10 talent. It's also asinine to me how people on here perceive USC as being so evil. The Bush situation was so minor compared what went on at OSU and obviously Miami. You think other Heisman winners or their families elsewhere never received any perks??! Please.

ND @ ND wasn't that big of a win, as far as the program is concerned. If it had been in Marrone's first year it would've, but it was more of a last hurrah for G-Rob, and a damnation of ND's program under Weis.

I still loved that game though. Having a large ND contingency in my family made it pretty sweet.

Nebraska was number one in the country. Florida was ranked real high but we were up there, too.

Thats pretty much my point Faegan...The OP mentioned teams that were ranked when we beat them...USC would be a great win for us don't get me wrong and it would probably SHOCK USC fans too, but how high it ranks...I just don't see it ranking that high.

That would be the biggest win for the Syracuse football program since... <year> <opponent>?

Different ways to look at it. If you're talking biggest win on a national level, that is @ND. If you're literally talking about biggest win for the "program", it was probably the Pinstripe Bowl or possibly @WVU last year.

None of those wins come close to what nebraska did for this program. It came in '84. We were a power from '87 to 2002. A win at usc would really launch this program. But i can't see us winning. How do we score? How would we kill the clock at the end of a game?

Nebraska was number one in the country. Florida was ranked real high but we were up there, too.

A win Sat night wouldnt be close to as big as those 2 wins. Not even in the same ball park. Not even in the same city.

USC is a borderline top 25 team who has looked awful so far this year. But it is a national powerhouse since 2001 and has great talent according to nfl alums and recruiting rankings.

Actually, that is untrue. I'm a Trojan. You can throw away last season. Dealing with the sanctions, new coaching staff, big defensive losses, lack of motivation, etc. Trojan fans are much more excited about this season. This is still a team with loads of Top 5-10 talent. It's also asinine to me how people on here perceive USC as being so evil. The Bush situation was so minor compared what went on at OSU and obviously Miami. You think other Heisman winners or their families elsewhere never received any perks??! Please.

Mayo...USC?

A win against USC would be nice, but I wouldn't be shocked. Not anywhere near some of our wins in the past.

Definitely biggest since Nebraska. The Nebraska win validated the SU program and launched a period of success. Florida? Both teams were ranked. WV was a conference game and they all run together, which year? We've beat WVU many times. Notre Dame stunk and no one was willing to admit that Weis was such a bad college coach. Again, not shocking that SU won. USC is still USC. The Pinstripe Bowl meant more to SU fans than to anyone nationally. HCDM needs a defining win to get the program to jump up a level in respect. Winning a first year bowl game against the 8th, 9th or 10th best team in the Big 12 did not do that.

USC so far...

Date Opponent* Result

Sept. 3, 2011 Minnesota W 19-17
Sept. 10, 2011 Utah W 23-14

Minnesota so far...

Date Opponent* Result Record
Sept. 3, 2011 at USC L 19-17 0-1
Sept. 10, 2011 New Mexico St. L 28-21 0-2

Utah so far...

Date Opponent* Result Record
Sept. 1, 2011 Montana St. W 27-10 1-0
Sept. 10, 2011 at USC (Versus) L 23-14 1-1 (0-1)

Not that we're world beaters, but so far USC looks pretty average.

98 Michigan doesn't even belong in the category - that 98 Cuse team was loaded and had high expectations

Not a "shock the world" game. USC is too deep into probation for anyone nationally to really care. Shock Orange Nation...absolutely. But nothing more than that.

44cuse

Not a "shock the world" game. USC is too deep into probation for anyone nationally to really care. Shock Orange Nation...absolutely. But nothing more than that.

44cuse

Disagree considering you have had various writers predicting we get pounded. Which is ok ... I would love to see a W ... And right now the only limitation SC has to deal with is a post-season ban ... they don't have a scholarship limit because of the appeals process ... if they didn't have 85 scholarship players then I would say they are deep into probation.

None of those wins come close to what nebraska did for this program. It came in '84. We were a power from '87 to 2002. A win at usc would really launch this program. But i can't see us winning. How do we score? How would we kill the clock at the end of a game?

Agree a win would be really good pub for us ... we would score by kicking field goals, scoring touchdowns or recording safeties ... as for killing the clock a shotgun is my weapon of choice although a rifle is a much longer range weapon ...

think since PSU...that game announced we were back in college football. This game could have a similiar effect

Not on the same level as Michigan, Penn State, Florida or Nebraska. More like beating Notre Dame under Robinson. SoCal isn't even ranked.

Shock the world? Probably not. Register on the national college football landscape big time? Absolutely. People will take notice, especially recruits who grew up watching Bush/Leinart. USC might not be ranked, but for 14-17 year olds, they know USC as a recent dominant program. This would be a huge win.

For those of you guys pointing out that USC isn't ranked - if given the choice would you rather we play and win at #19 Baylor as opposed to unranked USC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom