If we want to avoid the NIT this year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If we want to avoid the NIT this year

Well literally nobody thought we would win at Louisville 2 years ago either. We saw what happened there.

We may as well roll over and die. I guess I won't even watch.

Statements like this are annoying.
keep the faith, kid.

you never know what JB will do to get the victory...

space-jam.jpg

I'd say instead of Nova being the second best team we're gonna play this year (possible, tough call between Lville and UVA and them) this should be the second toughest game of the year because it's on the road and Lville and UVA come here.

Against many teams, maybe the road thing would matter. Here, playing Villanova downtown on a Saturday afternoon during Christmas break, I'm not sure it'll be unusually tough.

EDIT: They're a strong opponent and a bad matchup for Syracuse; this was just a comment on the venue.

Against many teams, maybe the road thing would matter. Here, playing Villanova downtown on a Saturday afternoon during Christmas break, I'm not sure it'll be unusually tough.

EDIT: They're a strong opponent and a bad matchup for Syracuse; this was just a comment on the venue.

I get that, and I'll do my best to make sure the venue is good for us, but it's still going to be tougher than playing Louisville or UVA at home was my point. Nova might not be better than UVA, but I think we have a better chance of beating UVA at home than winning in Philly.
I still think, unless we completely crater, this will be the second biggest line we face all year.

I get that, and I'll do my best to make sure the venue is good for us, but it's still going to be tougher than playing Louisville or UVA at home was my point. Nova might not be better than UVA, but I think we have a better chance of beating UVA at home than winning in Philly.
I still think, unless we completely crater, this will be the second biggest line we face all year.

I could see UVA sending us to the line an awful lot. When I have watched them this year they fouled a ton and not just those that were called. That game could come down to us making FT's or not making them because their halfcourt defense is very good and they have multiple shooters + experienced ball handlers to go against the zone.

Its not about winning or resume right now its about getting better. This will be a different team in feb, and the comittee will factor that in.

The committee views a result from November no different than a result from February.

Now if the team gets better the results will come anyway, and luckily being in a good conference you can overcome a bad start.

If we want to avoid the NIT we can have the rest of the team other than Rak and Chris continue to shoot 37%.

I am sure the CBI will be happy to invite us.

If we want to avoid the NIT we can have the rest of the team other than Rak and Chris continue to shoot 37%.

I am sure the CBI will be happy to invite us.

Similar to my answer of the easiest way to avoid the NIT being to follow the example of MCW/Grant and their teammates on Philly. I dont think anyone appreciated the humor though. I'm warning you friend, tough crowd here!

I've watched the Orange play in many venues including Wells Fargo. Do not underestimate playing there. It was one of the worst game watching experiences I ever had. The Nova crowd was loud, rude, obnoxious. It was not a good time there. I found it just as intimidating as many other venues. It was also a Saturday noonish game I went to. Probably about 5-6 years ago. Lots of Orange, yes, but do not think this is a MSG situation. We were totally out numbered, out cheered, we virtually disappeared in the crowd.

I've watched the Orange play in many venues including Wells Fargo. Do not underestimate playing there. It was one of the worst game watching experiences I ever had. The Nova crowd was loud, rude, obnoxious. It was not a good time there. I found it just as intimidating as many other venues. It was also a Saturday noonish game I went to. Probably about 5-6 years ago. Lots of Orange, yes, but do not think this is a MSG situation. We were totally out numbered, out cheered, we virtually disappeared in the crowd.

A Philly crowd loud and obnoxious? Shocking!!!

A Philly crowd loud and obnoxious? Shocking!!!

Do they have a built in courthouse like they do for the Eagles? I have to give them credit for expedient revenue generation.

Was that the year the Flynn team gave up 100+?

If so, I was there for that one. Real unpleasant. Big difference between this and that, though: that was February and tomorrow is Christmas week.

(Another difference that might offset that: we're a worse team this season.)

That probably was the game Otto.
Also was just on the phone with SU Alumni relations, and had a conversation about the Nova pre game event. It is different than when it was at McFaddens because they can accommodate everyone inside the venue if not inside the exact bar location. So no more outside lines.

Was that the year the Flynn team gave up 100+?

If so, I was there for that one. Real unpleasant. Big difference between this and that, though: that was February and tomorrow is Christmas week.

(Another difference that might offset that: we're a worse team this season.)

I remember Jonny and Paul killing them @ Wells Fargo in 07/08 and then they beat us in the Dome and in the final matchup in the BET which was our NCAAT nail in the coffin after also coughing up that one to Pitt at the Dome.

I think it was 08/09 that they unloaded on us @ Wells Fargo. That was Cunningham's Senior season an he killed us which set up all their shooters if I recall.

I remember Jonny and Paul killing them @ Wells Fargo in 07/08 and then they beat us in the Dome and in the final matchup in the BET which was our NCAAT nail in the coffin after also coughing up that one to Pitt at the Dome.

I think it was 08/09 that they unloaded on us @ Wells Fargo. That was Cunningham's Senior season an he killed us which set up all their shooters if I recall.

That's exactly it. Harris had one of his best games down there on Super Bowl weekend in '08. We laid a total egg the next year in a game played with two referees (one of them got hurt early on). Cunningham was great. We played no defense. Ugly afternoon.

OMG that game was the worst - it was basically over at the under 12 timeout of the first half.

OMG that game was the worst - it was basically over at the under 12 timeout of the first half.

Agreed, very hard to watch. Cunningham had a spectacular senior season for them that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom