If you're coach HCDB what do you change? | Syracusefan.com

If you're coach HCDB what do you change?

OrangeFoo

All American
It's easy to criticize from a couch... what would you change this week if you were the coach? If you are HCDB and you change nothing then you are not a good coach.

Changes I would make...
- Custis to the bench... Looks great... can't catch
- Devito plays a few series next week so we can see what we have. A) this won't burn his redshirt and B) Dungey is not going to last the year so we need a plan B
- Strickland needs to go bye bye. We need to either make Elmore the starting RB or go with the freshman.
- Scripting plays where the first read is the slant or the seam pass and force Dungey to either throw it there or hit the bench
- Introduce a wildcat option look with Erv as the QB... it would be a way to get the ball into the hands of our best runner
- Get Riley off punt returns ASAP... can Strickland or Erv return punts?
- Practice the screen pass over and over and over and over... we are going to see a TON more blitzes and we need a way to slow them
- Get more pitch plays into the mix so that the RB is not always attacking the same gap every freaking play

I'm not an Xs and Os football guy so I have no idea if any of these or legit or not and I'm sure others have much better ideas than me. All I do know is that if HCDB makes zero changes after this week then he is a meathead coach just like we call Shafer and Marrone although in a completely different way.

You go with 4 WRs or empty like last year. That was when Dungey was at his best and allows him to use his feet if need be. By bringing a tight end and fullback in it allowed Shafe to disguise blitzes off the edge. IMO Dungey seems more comfortable in empty or 4 wr sets.

- Devito plays a few series next week so we can see what we have. A) this won't burn his redshirt .

Huh?

And Babers is a good football coach. He knows what he's doing.

It's easy to criticize from a couch... what would you change this week if you were the coach? If you are HCDB and you change nothing then you are not a good coach.

Changes I would make...
- Custis to the bench... Looks great... can't catch
- Devito plays a few series next week so we can see what we have. A) this won't burn his redshirt and B) Dungey is not going to last the year so we need a plan B
- Strickland needs to go bye bye. We need to either make Elmore the starting RB or go with the freshman.
- Scripting plays where the first read is the slant or the seam pass and force Dungey to either throw it there or hit the bench
- Introduce a wildcat option look with Erv as the QB... it would be a way to get the ball into the hands of our best runner
- Get Riley off punt returns ASAP... can Strickland or Erv return punts?
- Practice the screen pass over and over and over and over... we are going to see a TON more blitzes and we need a way to slow them
- Get more pitch plays into the mix so that the RB is not always attacking the same gap every freaking play

I'm not an Xs and Os football guy so I have no idea if any of these or legit or not and I'm sure others have much better ideas than me. All I do know is that if HCDB makes zero changes after this week then he is a meathead coach just like we call Shafer and Marrone although in a completely different way.

Devito playing ONE play would do this. The new rule is just being talked about not approved yet.

give our wr's a football to carry around all week. give the freshman wr some more reps as he is supposedly our fastest wr since ish,custis( is he hurt?), butler dont scare anyone vertically

You go with 4 WRs or empty like last year. That was when Dungey was at his best and allows him to use his feet if need be. By bringing a tight end and fullback in it allowed Shafe to disguise blitzes off the edge. IMO Dungey seems more comfortable in empty or 4 wr sets.
/
Wouldn't that mean giving up on the run game entirely? At some point last year Dungey stopped throwing in between the hashes so I'm not sure 4 wide would help.

Get Pierre in there. Having a RB with real and true instincts could make up for the abysmal OL at least a little bit. OL is a HUGE problem. Not going to get better this season I think. Both run and pass game it's a problem. Get Nykien in there. No more Riley. Need some receivers who can get separation. Pierce is a non-factor so far it seems. Def no more Custis. Dungey maybe starting to feel skiddish but it is clear he has trouble with decision making and seeing the field. "Vision problems" as per Babers. Dungey is what he is. An ATH trying to play QB with bad mechanics and such. I admire his heart but, for better or worse, we have to live or die with him until DeVito.

Last edited:

They had to bring the TE and FB in because the OL was getting demolished on those blitzes. They tried spreading them out the first 3 series and had -26 yards. Without the extra protection Dungey would be dead right now.

Changes I would make:

Buter in for Custis
Pierre splits carries with Strickland
Neal to the slot
Johnson in for Riley as punt returner
Erv needs to get involved. He is the only play maker they have on offense. Find a way to get him the ball
Have to shake up the interior OL. Obviously this isn't working.
Get Pierce the ball in the middle of the field. He keeps getting the ball in the flat where he isn't going to make many people miss.

What everyone else said. And if #6 is half the player he was hyped as all summer, then start throwing him the ball.

Our offensive line is so bad I can't name our other inside receiver. Erv and? It's one-maybe two- reads and throw. If we can figure out blocking maybe we can figure out the whole catching next.

• Throw more passes over the middle and get some of our guys in space (Phillips and Pierce).
  • When you receive the ball on the opponents four yard line, give the ball to Elmore.
  • When momentum is shifting/shifted, call a creative play to potentially get a big play.
  • Do a few zone blitzes where a lineman drops into coverage. Confuse the quarterbacks a little.
  • The offensive line is not strong currently so call a few rollouts for Dungey to get him outside and it gives him a few options in front of him.
  • Stop making every RB run a dive off of the guard. Call an off-tackle run that isn't out of that new, weird formation we tried today.

Since Custis went to the locker room holding his shoulder, I wouldn't worry about him playing for a while.

Our Running Game Coordinator is Mike Lynch, allegedly. Our running scheme blows. Change it.

I thought there was a rule about playing in 4 games before burning the shirt?
That would be incorrect. I believe the rule you are thinking about is for injuries an to obtain a medical red shirt.

Let the young guys play. Riley, and Custis, no.

I still think we can win six. This game was just odd in so many ways.

Time to move on to next week, but there are players out there that can do the job.

Have to use the middle of the field more. The damn throwing to the outside is getting nauseating.

Dino will get it together. They had us pegged, and gave us chance after chance. I won't get into the referees, but damn. Teach someone to snap the ball when the D is handing you a free penalty.

Anyway, LGO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom