If you're coach HCDB what do you change? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If you're coach HCDB what do you change?

If it's 4th and 1 and you're not confident the team can run for it, just kick the FG.

Also, DUNGEY! Stop assuming offsides flags are coming. I distinctly remember that happening last year at BC as well.
Yeah. If he's going to lob it up he has to see the flag flying first. We just can't assume the free play.

I think going to freshman backs and receivers, Custis has poor hands. If McGloster is our best right tackle, then I question our depth. Not sure why they abandoned Elmore, and it seemed like Erv did not get enough touches. Neal needs to touch the ball as a receiver not as a RB.
Riley did a nice job on KO returns, but has to go as punt returner, totally changed the momentum of the game, for a minute I thought Steve Rene was back, use Neal, Phillips or Bradshaw anyone.

It's easy to criticize from a couch... what would you change this week if you were the coach? If you are HCDB and you change nothing then you are not a good coach.

Changes I would make...
- Custis to the bench... Looks great... can't catch
- Devito plays a few series next week so we can see what we have. A) this won't burn his redshirt and B) Dungey is not going to last the year so we need a plan B
- Strickland needs to go bye bye. We need to either make Elmore the starting RB or go with the freshman.
- Scripting plays where the first read is the slant or the seam pass and force Dungey to either throw it there or hit the bench
- Introduce a wildcat option look with Erv as the QB... it would be a way to get the ball into the hands of our best runner
- Get Riley off punt returns ASAP... can Strickland or Erv return punts?
- Practice the screen pass over and over and over and over... we are going to see a TON more blitzes and we need a way to slow them
- Get more pitch plays into the mix so that the RB is not always attacking the same gap every freaking play

I'm not an Xs and Os football guy so I have no idea if any of these or legit or not and I'm sure others have much better ideas than me. All I do know is that if HCDB makes zero changes after this week then he is a meathead coach just like we call Shafer and Marrone although in a completely different way.

I would imagine that on offense, a lot of the issues have to do with the poor play of the OL. Need to find a way to improve both run blocking and pass protection, both of which are lacking. And then hope the reinforcements coming in next season are ready, and a step above what we currently have.

If our guys catch the ball we win this game.

I agree on Butler. Want to see Johnson and MP more. The OL doesn't need a shake up, needs time.

It's easy to criticize from a couch... what would you change this week if you were the coach? If you are HCDB and you change nothing then you are not a good coach.

Changes I would make...
- Custis to the bench... Looks great... can't catch
- Devito plays a few series next week so we can see what we have. A) this won't burn his redshirt and B) Dungey is not going to last the year so we need a plan B
- Strickland needs to go bye bye. We need to either make Elmore the starting RB or go with the freshman.
- Scripting plays where the first read is the slant or the seam pass and force Dungey to either throw it there or hit the bench
- Introduce a wildcat option look with Erv as the QB... it would be a way to get the ball into the hands of our best runner
- Get Riley off punt returns ASAP... can Strickland or Erv return punts?
- Practice the screen pass over and over and over and over... we are going to see a TON more blitzes and we need a way to slow them
- Get more pitch plays into the mix so that the RB is not always attacking the same gap every freaking play

I'm not an Xs and Os football guy so I have no idea if any of these or legit or not and I'm sure others have much better ideas than me. All I do know is that if HCDB makes zero changes after this week then he is a meathead coach just like we call Shafer and Marrone although in a completely different way.

A wholesale panic isn't one. Since Pierre played might as well give him a series or two and see what we have..

Last edited:
So, why not play him four games and then fake an injury? It works for MTSU.
Injury must be medically substantiated, granting of this kind of red shirt is far from automatic.

You just try to clean up the mistakes. That's what killed us more than anything. You won't fix all of them, but it needs to be significantly less this week.

At some point you try to work in the true freshmen whose redshirts are already burned (assume that was for a reason).

I frankly hope everyone's job is on the line. The mistakes were bad enough to warrant having a seat on the bench, including Dungey. I assume the most consistent practice players are getting the PT but who the heck knows. Maybe they're giving the veterans more leeway to make mistakes?

Butler has four drops and a fumble now in two games how can you keep running him back out there and throwing passes to him. Ishmael and Erv 's drops we're just awful but they're the best guys we have. i think you have to look at other guys Like Avant, Sharrod, RTB and Pierre/Perkins at RB.

Maybe try Bryne again at center, if even just to put pressure on Servais.

And for the love of god, Dungey needs to start pitching the ball on the option.

How about Mo Meal as a kick returner?

I would look at each component of the running game from the players to personnel to technique and the game plan. Make changes as necessary.

Custis was targeted at least 5 times and had 0 catches. Sad to see him get injured but the kid was not helping Dungey at all. Need to find a receiver that can 1) get open downfield and 2) catch the ball/draw PI flags.

Dungey needs to learn when to get rid of the ball. Too many scrambles he was caught from behind and put the offense or special teams in a bad spot. Throw it at the sidelines instead of losing 4-8 yards.

When you get the ball at the opponent's 4 yard line and have to kick a field goal from the 6 that is a failure. Should have been a momentum changer and MTSU came out feeling like they got away with something.

You can't play down to your competition and let them feel they have a chance to win the game. MTSU gave us 3 turnovers with great field position and we got 3 points out of it. Unacceptable.

Shocked about Pierce.

Why? We dont use, even consider the middle of the field. Kid should get outta dodge asap. Not sure what this staff promised him, but at this point, if you cant run to the sideline on the snap, then you have no future as a reciever. Hopefully the kid is enrolled properly and studies hard, bc there will be more credits than targets. Yup, another post about Dino's scheming, or lack there of.

It's one game but I think there needs to be close eyes on Dungey. Watched the game again (painful) and he missed so many reads. A couple on the RPO where he should have handed it off.. quite a few times where he had two options to throw it and pulled it down plus the pitch that would have been an obvious TD. Mahoney came in and immediately analyzed the game better making correct calls and seemed far more decisive.

Also agree on let's see the younger guys out there. Give nykiem some more sweeps, may be a wheel route or three, Pierre out there with Elmore.

Also one thing that really stood out was how many times our tackles were beaten off the edge. It actually was even more evident on running plays where strickland and moe got caught by the ankles by MTSU's ends.

Just watching OU it's hilarious how much more advanced their offense and concepts are. I do not know football Xs and Os nearly as well as most but it's pretty painful to watch Babers slam it up the middle on every run when it's never there and the OLine can't block. You need to add some deception with motion. OU's head coach is putting on a clinic with sending different guys in motion. We never run a pitch or an off tackle run play. And then when we do run our HB dive up the middle it's not with Elmore who is the only one capable of getting consistent positive plays. Next, Babers NEVER throws to the middle of the field. I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I watch our offense operate. Dungey doesn't even LOOK at the middle of the field. The only passing plays we run are quick hit to the outside or the occasional streak. No deception or variety at all. Now to add on, I like Babers. I think he will do fine but today he sucked. It's very tough to do anything with a garbage OLine but godly, if you don't have an OLine you better get the defense on their heels with some motion and variety in your pre snap actions.
That "kid" coach had his team ready to go. Sort of took Urban and company to the woodshed and that is saying something. That said - swap QB's and OSU probably wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom