If you're coach HCDB what do you change? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you're coach HCDB what do you change?

It's easy to criticize from a couch... what would you change this week if you were the coach? If you are HCDB and you change nothing then you are not a good coach.

Changes I would make...
- Custis to the bench... Looks great... can't catch
- Devito plays a few series next week so we can see what we have. A) this won't burn his redshirt and B) Dungey is not going to last the year so we need a plan B
- Strickland needs to go bye bye. We need to either make Elmore the starting RB or go with the freshman.
- Scripting plays where the first read is the slant or the seam pass and force Dungey to either throw it there or hit the bench
- Introduce a wildcat option look with Erv as the QB... it would be a way to get the ball into the hands of our best runner
- Get Riley off punt returns ASAP... can Strickland or Erv return punts?
- Practice the screen pass over and over and over and over... we are going to see a TON more blitzes and we need a way to slow them
- Get more pitch plays into the mix so that the RB is not always attacking the same gap every freaking play

I'm not an Xs and Os football guy so I have no idea if any of these or legit or not and I'm sure others have much better ideas than me. All I do know is that if HCDB makes zero changes after this week then he is a meathead coach just like we call Shafer and Marrone although in a completely different way.

Play Nykeim Johnson

Let the young guys play. Riley, and Custis, no.

I still think we can win six. This game was just odd in so many ways.

Time to move on to next week, but there are players out there that can do the job.

Have to use the middle of the field more. The damn throwing to the outside is getting nauseating.

Dino will get it together. They had us pegged, and gave us chance after chance. I won't get into the referees, but damn. Teach someone to snap the ball when the D is handing you a free penalty.

Anyway, LGO.
snapping the ball will do no good unless refs call the penalty, which they did today 1 out 3 or 4 times they had to many men

Get Pierre in there. Having a RB with real and true instincts could make up for the abysmal OL at least a little bit. OL is a HUGE problem. Not going to get better this season I think. Both run and pass game it's a problem. Get Nykien in there. No more Riley. Need some receivers who can get separation. Pierce is a non-factor so far it seems. Def no more Custis. Dungey maybe starting to feel skiddish but it is clear he has trouble with decision making and seeing the field. "Vision problems" as per Babers. Dungey is what he is. An ATH trying to play QB with bad mechanics and such. I admire his heart but, for better or worse, we have to live or die with him until DeVito.
Shocked about Pierce.

snapping the ball will do no good unless refs call the penalty, which they did today 1 out 3 or 4 times they had to many men

It would have been called before random guy fell over as they were rushing off the field. That one they would have had to call. Well, you would think. Instead we have guys pointing around. The offside free play would have been nice instead of a so-called INT.

Just watching OU it's hilarious how much more advanced their offense and concepts are. I do not know football Xs and Os nearly as well as most but it's pretty painful to watch Babers slam it up the middle on every run when it's never there and the OLine can't block. You need to add some deception with motion. OU's head coach is putting on a clinic with sending different guys in motion. We never run a pitch or an off tackle run play. And then when we do run our HB dive up the middle it's not with Elmore who is the only one capable of getting consistent positive plays. Next, Babers NEVER throws to the middle of the field. I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I watch our offense operate. Dungey doesn't even LOOK at the middle of the field. The only passing plays we run are quick hit to the outside or the occasional streak. No deception or variety at all. Now to add on, I like Babers. I think he will do fine but today he sucked. It's very tough to do anything with a garbage OLine but godly, if you don't have an OLine you better get the defense on their heels with some motion and variety in your pre snap actions.

Just watching OU it's hilarious how much more advanced their offense and concepts are. I do not know football Xs and Os nearly as well as most but it's pretty painful to watch Babers slam it up the middle on every run when it's never there and the OLine can't block. You need to add some deception with motion. OU's head coach is putting on a clinic with sending different guys in motion. We never run a pitch or an off tackle run play. And then when we do run our HB dive up the middle it's not with Elmore who is the only one capable of getting consistent positive plays. Next, Babers NEVER throws to the middle of the field. I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I watch our offense operate. Dungey doesn't even LOOK at the middle of the field. The only passing plays we run are quick hit to the outside or the occasional streak. No deception or variety at all. Now to add on, I like Babers. I think he will do fine but today he sucked. It's very tough to do anything with a garbage OLine but godly, if you don't have an OLine you better get the defense on their heels with some motion and variety in your pre snap actions.
Oh come on, now. Dungey threw his interception towards the middle of the field.

You can add whatever fanciness to your game plan but football has always been about hvaing talent on the lines. If you don't you have nothing. It's been this way for nearly 20 years now for SU.

You can add whatever fanciness to your game plan but football has always been about hvaing talent on the lines. If you don't you have nothing. It's been this way for nearly 20 years now for SU.
Betting the two 4 star OL in the 2018 class are actually dancing with glee. Guaranteed playing time next year, for sure.

Was please with Slayton and Kayton. Thought they had a good game.

Betting the two 4 star OL in the 2018 class are actually dancing with glee. Guaranteed playing time next year, for sure.

Was please with Slayton and Kayton. Thought they had a good game.
They are ok imo. Not dominant upfield pressure guys but good contain types.

I agree with you. But we don't have one. Start to do some different stuff rather than run it right up the gut. And if you do run right up the gut at least have a guy in motion going opposite of where you're running to

I agree with you. But we don't have one. Start to do some different stuff rather than run it right up the gut. And if you do run right up the gut at least have a guy in motion going opposite of where you're running to
I would wager part of the reason we don't put guys in motion is for the speed at which we try and play. Once you get lined up, the plan is snap the ball and execute. So you can line up, snap it and execute again within 15 seconds. That doesn't mean we can do it, but that's the plan. If you add motion, it delays the snap which gives the defense more time to catch their breath, gather their wits and potentially diagnose what is still a simple play at its core.

Amen.

Shafer left the cupboard bare on the OL. We're starting two RF on the interior, one of whom was injured during preseason. And the guys in their 3rd year were coached by Joe Adam.

Babers said they're waiting for the elephants to grow up. Grab a beer and find what good you can. It's going to take a while. Rearranging deck chairs until then.

That would be incorrect. I believe the rule you are thinking about is for injuries an to obtain a medical red shirt.
So, why not play him four games and then fake an injury? It works for MTSU.

Tired of everyone waiting for the year 2, game 4 switch. Thats a load of crap. All teams are different. Dino was Grob bad today and his speak will turn into preach around here very quickly if he doesn't start beating teams he has more talent than. The talent excuse is over. The play calling is comical throwing to the flat over and over and that fake ir give with Erv in motion. MTSU didn't have to worry about 60% of the field today. We faked over and over to the side and reciever we ended up throwing the ball to. Zero shots deep. Only need a 3 or 5 step drop to throw the ball 20+ yards. Dino going for the block on that punt before the half was a turning point nobody is mentioning. Lay off, gain possession and score before half for a 7 or 11 pt lead at half. Brutal.

Never allow a kick off return for balance of season. Find kicker who can kick into or through end zone. Call soccer team or whatever. Our coverage continues to be horrid.

It's easy to criticize from a couch... what would you change this week if you were the coach? If you are HCDB and you change nothing then you are not a good coach.

Changes I would make...
- Custis to the bench... Looks great... can't catch
- Devito plays a few series next week so we can see what we have. A) this won't burn his redshirt and B) Dungey is not going to last the year so we need a plan B
- Strickland needs to go bye bye. We need to either make Elmore the starting RB or go with the freshman.
- Scripting plays where the first read is the slant or the seam pass and force Dungey to either throw it there or hit the bench
- Introduce a wildcat option look with Erv as the QB... it would be a way to get the ball into the hands of our best runner
- Get Riley off punt returns ASAP... can Strickland or Erv return punts?
- Practice the screen pass over and over and over and over... we are going to see a TON more blitzes and we need a way to slow them
- Get more pitch plays into the mix so that the RB is not always attacking the same gap every freaking play

I'm not an Xs and Os football guy so I have no idea if any of these or legit or not and I'm sure others have much better ideas than me. All I do know is that if HCDB makes zero changes after this week then he is a meathead coach just like we call Shafer and Marrone although in a completely different way.
i thought the few plays mahony was in they moved the ball---brightest spot of the day.

Since Custis went to the locker room holding his shoulder, I wouldn't worry about him playing for a while.
Custis returned in street clothes with his left arm in a sling. He is done.

Work on the basics. Continuously practice goal line offense and be able to convert on 4&1 inside the ten yard line.
:bat:

If it's 4th and 1 and you're not confident the team can run for it, just kick the FG.

Also, DUNGEY! Stop assuming offsides flags are coming. I distinctly remember that happening last year at BC as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom