Im glad that TC is such a good D player | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Im glad that TC is such a good D player

I tried too, but I just can't let this statement go. Townie, I mostly enjoy your posts, but this comment surprised me.

If it wasn't complicated, almost anyone could do it well. In the grand scheme of things, very few people get paid crazy money to coach basketball teams. It is truly a handful of people who are able to be successful at the upper levels of D1 basketball. As that is the case, it would be difficult to infer that it "isn't complicated"

And as for "minor talent", I have two comments to make. 1) As one of the "handful" of people who has done what is necessary to be successful, JB did not get there by recruiting and playing "minor talent", nor would he be able to stay there recruiting and playing "minor talent". 2) As a roughly top 75-100 player, TC would statistically be considered to be amongst the top 300 - 400 players eligible to play college basketball. I'm not sure what the total number of kids 18-22 yrs old, but I am fairly certain that represents the top couple %. Hardly "minor talent".

Would it be fair to say that your statement may have had a hint of hyperbole to it?

Running any college basketball program is a complicated job in it's entirety. Recruiting, player development, alumni and press relations, handling campus politics, scheduling, deciding who to play and all that is a significant management challenge. The astronomical total compensation packages bear witness to just how few people can do it successfully.

The x's and 0's not so much. The whole body of knowledge is about half as hard as freshman algebra.

Of course on this forum you are talking about some of the greatest basketball minds. If you were around for the great "Boeheim won't be successful until he starts playing more man-to-man" era on the board you know what I am talking about. Half the people on here are convinced they are smarter that JB, Bobby Knight, and Red Auerbach combined.

It's extremely difficult to play at a program of SU's caliber against the competition they face. Not every Boeheim recruit has been able to do it.

I tried too, but I just can't let this statement go. Townie, I mostly enjoy your posts, but this comment surprised me.

If it wasn't complicated, almost anyone could do it well. In the grand scheme of things, very few people get paid crazy money to coach basketball teams. It is truly a handful of people who are able to be successful at the upper levels of D1 basketball. As that is the case, it would be difficult to infer that it "isn't complicated"

And as for "minor talent", I have two comments to make. 1) As one of the "handful" of people who has done what is necessary to be successful, JB did not get there by recruiting and playing "minor talent", nor would he be able to stay there recruiting and playing "minor talent". 2) As a roughly top 75-100 player, TC would statistically be considered to be amongst the top 300 - 400 players eligible to play college basketball. I'm not sure what the total number of kids 18-22 yrs old, but I am fairly certain that represents the top couple %. Hardly "minor talent".

Would it be fair to say that your statement may have had a hint of hyperbole to it?

He's was a 3 star recruit - PERDIOD - playing like a 3 star recruit - PERIOD - getting playing minutes like a 5 star recruit - and he's basically playing on teams where virtually all of the players are going to go one to play at some sort of professional level

Tony DeFranco said:
He's was a 3 star recruit - PERDIOD - playing like a 3 star recruit - PERIOD - getting playing minutes like a 5 star recruit - and he's basically playing on teams where virtually all of the players are going to go one to play at some sort of professional level

Andy Rautin's was a 1 star. Triche, AO and Kris Joseph were all 3 stars. They are all playing professionally.

Cooney was a 4 star recruit. Recruiting rankings are overrated, and very rarely accurate. We've seen this over and over. It's not the bible. By the way, Wes Johnson was a two star recruit and he is in the NBA.

I believe Cooney was a 4 star consensus top 100 kid but like Cusefan0307 said its pretty arbitrary. If I recall MCW coming in in the same class was also a 4 star although he was more like a top 50 kid.

Cusefan0307 said:
Cooney was a 4 star recruit. Recruiting rankings are overrated, and very rarely accurate. We've seen this over and over. It's not the bible. By the way, Wes Johnson was a two star recruit and he is in the NBA.

Depends on the site. Some had him 3, some 4.

espn and scout had him 4 stars and rivals 3 star

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom