I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

Not a show guy, but watched Stranger Things over thanksgiving break because I was home for holidays and my sister said I should watch it with literally nothing to do. I think it was entertaining. Nothing blew me away, but enjoyed watching it. Only other show I have watched is Breaking Bad which was absolutely amazing and the standard now for me.

Lots of good shows out there I should look into.

You should watch The Wire if it is still on Netflix. Totally different premise, but equal in quality and intensity as Breaking Bad, IMHO.

You should watch The Wire if it is still on Netflix. Totally different premise, but equal in quality and intensity as Breaking Bad, IMHO.
Really?

Wow.

Any other shows you would recommend?

If I start binge watching a show then it gets a big thumbs up from me. Punisher, and Godless, I couldn't stop. Binge watched both. Punisher was way better than I ever would've imagined. Godless was a really good Western.

The Killing, mentioned above by FAL, was a fantastic series. This is usually the 1st thing I recommend, if you like crime dramas, mysteries, serial killers.

Haven't watched the Unibomber story yet on Netflix, but have heard it's great and my DEA friend loved it. He said his FBI buddy (lol) worked on the case and recommended it, said it's very close to the real thing. (haven't watched it, I'm just the messenger.)

It’s not on Netflix but it’s on Amazon Prime(which is a steal if you order from Amazon because it’s got a solid selection of shows). Also HBO Now offers a free trial for the first month. You could probably binge watch a couple seasons at least for free.

I was bored out of my mind the first time that I watched the first episode of the Wire, but things really fell into place after a few episodes. So many characters to be introduced to and you kinda have to “learn” how to watch the show. But it’s incredible. I think season 4 is my favorite season of TV of all time. Season 3 was incredible too.

Not as thrilling as Breaking Bad in terms of heart pounding, edge of your seat, yelling at the TV stuff, but also better for repeat watches IMO. I caught so many things rewatching the series that I missed the first time through. The scope of that show is just so large. It tells so many smaller stories that tie into one major story. Amazing writing, really.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. Your review was spot on!

I’m a huge fan of the Michael Connelly “Bosch” books and think Amazon has done a great job of adapting it to a TV series. Have you checked it out yet?

Thanks for the correction. Your review was spot on!

I’m a huge fan of the Michael Connelly “Bosch” books and think Amazon has done a great job of adapting it to a TV series. Have you checked it out yet?

Nope, will have to look into that. Haven’t gotten into a new show in awhile which is why I came back to this post looking for ideas.

Reactions: FAL
Nope, will have to look into that. Haven’t gotten into a new show in awhile which is why I came back to this post looking for ideas.

A very good cop show based on a great series of books. Enjoy—preferably both ways!

It’s not on Netflix but it’s on Amazon Prime(which is a steal if you order from Amazon because it’s got a solid selection of shows). Also HBO Go offers a free trial for the first month. You could probably binge watch a couple seasons at least for free.

I was bored out of my mind the first time that I watched the first episode of the Wire, but things really fell into place after a few episodes. So many characters to be introduced to and you kinda have to “learn” how to watch the show. But it’s incredible. I think season 4 is my favorite season of TV of all time. Season 3 was incredible too.

Not as thrilling as Breaking Bad in terms of heart pounding, edge of your seat, yelling at the TV stuff, but also better for repeat watches IMO. I caught so many things rewatching the series that I missed the first time through. The scope of that show is just so large. It tells so many smaller stories that tie into one major story. Amazing writing, really.

I know there are a ton of good shows out there, but part of me almost wants to just retire after watching breaking bad. What a show.

I know there are a ton of good shows out there, but part of me almost wants to just retire after watching breaking bad. What a show.

I felt the same for a long time after it ended. I’ve run through the whole series a few times, and then got it into Better Call Saul once it started. Honestly that might be the only new show I’ve liked that came out after B.B., and obviously it’s a prequel of B.B. so it might have ruined me from other new shows too, lol.

Breaking Bad and the Wire are my 1/1A, though very different shows and great in different ways.

Also really liked Mad Men, which is also very different from them.

I think I'm ready for a re-watch of The Wire. It's one of the best of all time, if not the best.

Just finished my third full trip through. So many great nuggets that I didn't notice before. Johnny Fifty from the port season was under the bridge when McNulty was interviewing street people in Season Five, that kind of thing.

Just finished my third full trip through. So many great nuggets that I didn't notice before. Johnny Fifty from the port season was under the bridge when McNulty was interviewing street people in Season Five, that kind of thing.

Did you count how many times McNulty banged a girl on the hood of a car? I kept a mental note to count that for my 2nd watch.

Netflix recommendations in order of enjoyment/satisfaction: The Killing, Godless, Bloodlines, Longmire, Penny Dreadful.
Penny Dreadful is phenomenal. Calibans speech will stick with me for a long time - One of the most powerful moments I've ever seen in television.

Reactions: FAL
I just finished Big Little Lies. I see what the hype was all about, it was amazing.

Pretty sure I'm the only one here who will find the show funny but American Vandal is a fantastic parody on the "who done it?" genre.
I was wondering if anyone else on here had watched this. Very funny parody of the typical true crime series out these days. It's fairly thorough for a parody.

I still gotta know who drew the !

Anyone watch Last Chance U on Netflix? Documentary about the Mississippi JUCO?

I only watched the first episode, and I found myself wanting to watch more.

Just hope it doesn't end up disappointing. What a weird place. But if you like college football, it's up your alley.

I know this is an old post but I just finished season one and thought it was utterly gripping and compelling. No surprise because I look forward to Hard Knocks every year also. It really made me appreciate how lucky I was to grow up in a safe environment with people who cared about me and were able to be positive role models.

The fight was pretty crazy. On one hand, I think the coach is giant hypocrite for calling his players thugs when he himself got suspended for fighting an official (also amazing lol). I typically think running up the score is classless but holy crap, if one of your staff gets assaulted by the the other teams players before the game, and they take out your QB on a cheapshot, I don't blame him one tiny bit for trying to score every point possible. I heard Season Two isn't as good, but I will definitely give it a watch. Crazy that the one kid is going to do a life sentence for murder.

Just finished Godless on Netflix

In the words of Larry David .. “pretty pretty good “