I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

'Under The Banner Of Heaven' was compelling. It's a true crime story about a Mormon family that embraces 'Mormon originalism', aka polygamy.

I had read the book years ago, and the limited series didn't disappoint. BTW, yet another Culkin bro has a key role.
My wife loves it. I just couldn't get there with it.

What did you guys think of Quantico?

On paper, it should have been a show about FBI agents investigating which one of them bombed Grand Central Station.

In reality, it was about female FBI agents hooking up, breaking up, and talking about it later. And in their spare time they investigated the bombing.

Closer to Desperate Housewives than to 24.

I lasted a season and a half, then gave up on it.

I just finished Barry. I was expecting it to get better and it never did. I stuck through it until the end and it just wasn’t nearly as funny as I had hoped it would be. If not for NoHo Hank, I would have bailed during Season 1.

I just finished Barry. I was expecting it to get better and it never did. I stuck through it until the end and it just wasn’t nearly as funny as I had hoped it would be. If not for NoHo Hank, I would have bailed during Season 1.
I know a lot of people love Barry but I just don’t find it that great. I like NoHo too. Otherwise, not interested.

If you have Hulu, watch The Bear. Seriously , watch it.
It’s one of the best shows you are going to see this year.

Watched Midnight Mass on Netflix this week. Had some really interesting cinematography and some really good dialogue, but overall very disappointing.
Used the search function to see if anyone had mentioned Midnight Mass. Loving it through episode 5. Unfortunately, spoiled part of the ending for myself surfing cast info...
Hamish Linklater is just killing it as Father Paul.
Limited 7 episode series so not too much of a commitment.

Incidentally, female lead Kate Siegel is a 2004 Syracuse graduate.
1657093076417.png

If you have Hulu, watch The Bear. Seriously , watch it.
It’s one of the best shows you are going to see this year.
I've heard the same thing. Plowing through a Wire re-watch with my wife as she had never finished it and we now live between DC/Balt. Just started season 5 last night and once we get through it, The Bear is next on the list.

Nope. I assume any big budget Chris Pratt lead thing is going to be as awful as whatever that last garbage movie was.
old school revenge/conspiracy story - it’s better than dinosaur time jump nonsense

Last edited:
I like slow burns with all the small details meticulously sorted out, where stuff eventually hits the fan.(Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire are some of my favorites)

It doesn’t have to be documentary level realistic, but I don’t like stuff that’s way over the top (think Ozarks - it was too much for me)

I don’t like zombies, dragons, etc. I need human characters with no superpowers.

Any suggestions?

I like slow burns with all the small details meticulously sorted out, where stuff eventually hits the fan.(Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire are some of my favorites)

It doesn’t have to be documentary level realistic, but I don’t like stuff that’s way over the top (think Ozarks - it was too much for me)

I don’t like zombies, dragons, etc. I need human characters with no superpowers.

Any suggestions?

It only lasted two seasons, but I really enjoyed Lodge 49 on AMC. It has that slow burn factor, mixing in some mystery and comedy. I can't say that it really had that "hit the fan" payoff at the end, but that's partly because I think it needed one more season (although there is some closure at the end of season 2).

It only lasted two seasons, but I really enjoyed Lodge 49 on AMC. It has that slow burn factor, mixing in some mystery and comedy. I can't say that it really had that "hit the fan" payoff at the end, but that's partly because I think it needed one more season (although there is some closure at the end of season 2).

Thanks, I will look into this.

The sheer amount of shows and avenues to watch them can make it overwhelming to know where to start, and can easily allow things to slip by you.

Nope. I assume any big budget Chris Pratt lead thing is going to be as awful as whatever that last garbage movie was.
I'm not really a Pratt fan, but this is well-made (big budget). I do have some problems with the content, though. And the one review i saw yesterday paints the series negatively—a one-note vengeance thing. But, the execution is better than that, if you can get over the gun/violence glorification. I also hate flashbacks and whatever little cinematic tricks directors use to show 'mental stuff.' And still, it's watchable and not dull.

Rewatching The West Wing for the third time. I had never seen it until about 2016. I’m not sure how I missed it when it originally aired.
I still have not seen that—not more than half of the first episode. Even though i LOVE our alum A-Aron Sorkin's The Newsroom.

There's something just super-dated about The West Wing that keeps me from going back to check it out now.

I still have not seen that—not more than half of the first episode. Even though i LOVE our alum A-Aron Sorkin's The Newsroom.

There's something just super-dated about The West Wing that keeps me from going back to check it out now.
I guess I don’t see it. Well, other than the pagers and flip phones.

I liked The Newsroom but not sure if I’d go back for a rewatch. Besides the monologue from the pilot, I loved “That’s How I Got to Memphis” from the finale(?). I didn’t realize at the time that Johnny Gallagher won a Tony for Spring Awakening on Broadway.

I guess I don’t see it. Well, other than the pagers and flip phones.

I liked The Newsroom but not sure if I’d go back for a rewatch. Besides the monologue from the pilot, I loved “That’s How I Got to Memphis” from the finale(?). I didn’t realize at the time that Johnny Gallagher won a Tony for Spring Awakening on Broadway.
Maybe it's Martin Sheen that triggers that feeling for me? But, i just looked at the cast, and it's pretty impressive. I'll check it out.

The Newsroom, though—oh, man. I fell for that. Hard. I practically evangelized that show. Pestered some good friends to watch it. And when they didn't act quickly enough, i bought the DVD set, and sent it to them and then had them forward the set to the next person. In my top 10 shows.

Wasn't ware of Gallagher's Tony, but i'm pretty stage/Broadway-ignorant.

Maybe it's Martin Sheen that triggers that feeling for me? But, i just looked at the cast, and it's pretty impressive. I'll check it out.

The Newsroom, though—oh, man. I fell for that. Hard. I practically evangelized that show. Pestered some good friends to watch it. And when they didn't act quickly enough, i bought the DVD set, and sent it to them and then had them forward the set to the next person. In my top 10 shows.

Wasn't ware of Gallagher's Tony, but i'm pretty stage/Broadway-ignorant.
That monologue/rant in the pilot is quintessential Sorkin.