I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

It does. I'm (semi-)enjoying it.
Not sure about s3 of The Crown, though. So far, (two episodes in), i don't like it nearly as much as season 2, which i thought was fantastic. I don't enjoy Olivia Colman as much as Claire Foy, for one thing. And even Bonham Carter is less charming than Vanessa Kirby. But, there's still time...
Season 3 gets better about midway through. Prince Charles and Prince Philip really steal the show.

Finished all of The Durrells in Corfu (actual near-broke Brit family on Greek island from 1935 to 1939), then a follow-up documentary on what happened to them. Very sweet and idyllic. Almost too good-hearted, like Downton Abbey. Very relaxing.

Also started season 3 of The Crown; royal family now in late 1960s and onward. Heavily hyped, but lives up to it more often than not. Episode 3 a gloomy recalling of a mining town tragedy in Wales. Episode 2 a great, amusing depiction of the Queen's sister partying up LBJ for a bailout. A bit jaw-dropping, but he was really like that.

I still haven’t seen a scene this ridiculously funny but also deep at the same time since Chappelle’s Show.

From season 1 Atlanta. So great...

Got amazon prime via a free 30-day trial for some reason, when I bought something, so I’m cramming in as much bingewatching as possible this month.

Started with s2 of Jack Ryan. Just okay.
I’m almost finished with Modern Love, which I kinda like, except it makes me sad, for never having been in love myself. And I think the first few episodes have been far better than the latter couple. Sorta like the other anthology thing I recently watched, the romanoffs.
Goliath’s last season, I did not care for.
Tried to watch e01 of The Boys, but I was bored throughout.

Got amazon prime via a free 30-day trial for some reason, when I bought something, so I’m cramming in as much bingewatching as possible this month.

I’m almost finished with Modern Love, which I kinda like, except it makes me sad, for never having been in love myself. And I think the first few episodes have been far better than the latter couple. Sorta like the other anthology thing I recently watched, the romanoffs.
Watch Undone! Do it! It's great!

Watch Undone! Do it! It's great!
I’ll give it a five minute trial. I traditionally don’t do well with animation.

I ‘discovered’ CATASTROPHE on amazon last night, after trialing a few shows and not liking them. Including only getting through the trailer of The Expanse...

Catastrophe is a lot of fun. I did not expect to like it, but the dialog is great.

I ‘discovered’ CATASTROPHE on amazon last night, after trialing a few shows and not liking them. Including only getting through the trailer of The Expanse...

Catastrophe is a lot of fun. I did not expect to like it, but the dialog is great.
The animation is necessary for the story telling. Stay with it.

Great writing on Catastrophe; based on your posting, it seems like the kind of thing you'd enjoy a lot.

I'm with you on animation as well, just can't break that prejudice.

Great writing on Catastrophe; based on your posting, it seems like the kind of thing you'd enjoy a lot.

If you're going to do it, the two to do it on are Undone and Into the Spiderverse, but for very different reasons.

If you liked Catastrophe, you'd probably like Sharon Horgan's show with Ainsling Bea, This Way Up. I had just watched that on Hulu a couple of months ago.

Yeah, i liked The Simpsons when i was in- just out of college, and i like South Park, but haven't watched it since the first few seasons. And i've liked some odd, smaller stuff in small doses over the years (PowerPuff Girls and Making Fiends). But, that's about it. Friends swear by Archer, but i actively dislike it. Never liked Family Guy either. Not sure why.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Rachel Brosnahan's comedic timing is impeccable and her scenes with Alex Bornstein and Tony Shalhoub are one of the reasons why the show has won so many Emmy's. Watch while you have your free trial.

I also loved Flea Bag, only two seasons and from what I understand there won't be anymore. The first 3 episodes kind of drag but stick with it, only 8 episodes per season so it's a quick binge.

If you liked Catastrophe, you'd probably like Sharon Horgan's show with Ainsling Bea, This Way Up. I had just watched that on Hulu a couple of months ago.

Yeah, i liked The Simpsons when i was in- just out of college, and i like South Park, but haven't watched it since the first few seasons. And i've liked some odd, smaller stuff in small doses over the years (PowerPuff Girls and Making Fiends). But, that's about it. Friends swear by Archer, but i actively dislike it. Never liked Family Guy either. Not sure why.

Early Simpsons remains a classic. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force was pretty funny in college. But substances were prominently involved in the latter.

Cannot stand Family Guy.

Early Simpsons remains a classic. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force was pretty funny in college. But substances were prominently involved in the latter.

Cannot stand Family Guy.
Aqua Teen is just brilliant.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Rachel Brosnahan's comedic timing is impeccable and her scenes with Alex Bornstein and Tony Shalhoub are one of the reasons why the show has won so many Emmy's. Watch while you have your free trial.

I also loved Flea Bag, only two seasons and from what I understand there won't be anymore. The first 3 episodes kind of drag but stick with it, only 8 episodes per season so it's a quick binge.
I saw season one of Maisel, and it was okay. But, i read (here?) that season 2 was "disappointing," so i didn't go back to it. But, i'll try it anyway.

I do kinda want to try again with Fleabag. It annoyed me in episode 1, but i did get the sense that it was just something i needed to 'get used to.'

Animation: I kinda liked Ren & Stimpy, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Beavis and Butthead back in the day. The low brow stuff...

Not sure if in the 32 pages of this thread if the Expanse has been mentioned. I just started last week and am through season 2. It is fantastic.

Not sure if in the 32 pages of this thread if the Expanse has been mentioned. I just started last week and am through season 2. It is fantastic.
Okay, tell me about this. I decided to try it last weekend, as i love sci-fi, but the intro or trailer showed a 'contemporary era' dude, wearing a fedora, possibly in a hallucination or something(?), and i was immediately like, Nope—can't do it and switched off.

I have some pretty stringent criteria for Sci-fi. I hate too many bright, happy colors, and when something tech-y is going on and there's an 'energy/plasma' thing happening, i hate that it's always green. Weird, idiosyncratic stuff like that. Sci-fi, for me, should look like Star Wars/Blade Runner. Not Total Recall and Fifth Element, although i can deal with it in some instances...

I think i just started season 3 of catastrophe. Still really liking it. It's a bit too conflict-y, and contrivedly potty-mouthed for me at times, and i've always hated when there are marital problems on shows, but they get in and out of arguments and back to funny stuff so quickly, it's still good. So much quick, funny dialog in every episode. The dude reminds me more and more of Will Ferrell. Like it's his brother or somesuch.

And Ashley Jensen is awesome. I've loved her since Extras with Ricky Gervais, and had a hang with her once, as we had mutual friends—she's a super lady. Weird, that this is the only 'unlikable' role i've seen her in, and she kills it.

And Ashley Jensen is awesome. I've loved her since Extras with Ricky Gervais, and had a hang with her once, as we had mutual friends—she's a super lady. Weird, that this is the only 'unlikable' role i've seen her in, and she kills it.

That's cool, I've enjoyed her in both of those shows, my wife loves her. She was hilarious in Extras, she a very skilled comedic actor.

Okay, tell me about this. I decided to try it last weekend, as i love sci-fi, but the intro or trailer showed a 'contemporary era' dude, wearing a fedora, possibly in a hallucination or something(?), and i was immediately like, Nope—can't do it and switched off.

I have some pretty stringent criteria for Sci-fi. I hate too many bright, happy colors, and when something tech-y is going on and there's an 'energy/plasma' thing happening, i hate that it's always green. Weird, idiosyncratic stuff like that. Sci-fi, for me, should look like Star Wars/Blade Runner. Not Total Recall and Fifth Element, although i can deal with it in some instances...

The guy with the hat is played by Thomas Jane and is a pretty interesting character. He is basically a space cop. If you can look past the hat it is worth your time imo.

The guy with the hat is played by Thomas Jane and is a pretty interesting character. He is basically a space cop. If you can look past the hat it is worth your time imo.
A space cop. Oh, no.

Desperate for something to watch. Took a chance on Brigham City on Prime. Pretty good flick.

Desperate for something to watch. Took a chance on Brigham City on Prime. Pretty good flick.
The one with Wilford Brimley?

Man, you really dug into the archives to find that if so. I've actually met briefly the director/lead and the young guy actor from that movie if it's the one I'm thinking of.

The one with Wilford Brimley?

Man, you really dug into the archives to find that if so. I've actually met briefly the director/lead and the young guy actor from that movie if it's the one I'm thinking of.
Yup. That's the one.