I'm so burnt out on SU football | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I'm so burnt out on SU football

well dino has also thrown the "talent" under the bus. so its not just recruiting. or wait maybe it is.

I don't get how Dino has thrown his talent "under the bus"?

What I see is a Coach who is implementing his style of play that only some of the current roster are suited for. People could argue that the HC needs to adapt, but he wasn't taking over a program that was winning at a high level and had an established, winning style of play. He basically has to audition his style of play for future recruits and work with what he has now.

While the offense has been a bit of a disappointment, it was serviceable until the injuries and lack of depth has basically ground production to a halt. I do think he showed enough early in the year to entice some HS recruits, and maybe some important post-grad transfers to look at the program harder than they would. I am very happy with the improvements I have seen on the defensive side of the ball, with imo a bunch of players that physically aren't a fit for the scheme. I think Ward has done a great job and the unit has shown the improvements throughout the season that I was hoping to see from both sides of the ball.

I think Dino is the man for the job. I would be really surprised if we aren't penciling in 7 or 8 wins a year after year 4.

Conspiracy theory alert

Dome renovation won't happen because the higher ups know we won't be competitive in D1 football again. When JB leaves and we get left out of the next conference realignment the story of Syracuse athletics will be closed.

Nonsense

I don't get how Dino has thrown his talent "under the bus"?

What I see is a Coach who is implementing his style of play that only some of the current roster are suited for. People could argue that the HC needs to adapt, but he wasn't taking over a program that was winning at a high level and had an established, winning style of play. He basically has to audition his style of play for future recruits and work with what he has now.

While the offense has been a bit of a disappointment, it was serviceable until the injuries and lack of depth has basically ground production to a halt. I do think he showed enough early in the year to entice some HS recruits, and maybe some important post-grad transfers to look at the program harder than they would. I am very happy with the improvements I have seen on the defensive side of the ball, with imo a bunch of players that physically aren't a fit for the scheme. I think Ward has done a great job and the unit has shown the improvements throughout the season that I was hoping to see from both sides of the ball.

I think Dino is the man for the job. I would be really surprised if we aren't penciling in 7 or 8 wins a year after year 4.

Dungey, Clark, Palmer, Emerich, Dowels, and many others hurt and out.

And that's after we start with a depleted roster.

We are playing an extraordinary number of frosh.

Let the guy recruit and let these kids mature.

We're going to be fine.

Now, about the clown uniforms we saw today . . .

PJ Fleck was 1-11 his first year,

More interesting is Mike McIntyre from Colorado. 10 total wins his first three years. And now look at them in year four. Colorado was bad for about as long as we've been bad. It's hard to watch, but I have faith in Dino. We should have more depth next year and hopefully we'll hit the grad transfer market again.

Air Raid got WSU to at least 8 wins this year, and has a fighting chance for noine with the Apple Cup at home vs UW. The Cougars were in worse shape pre Leach than SU was pre-Babers. I'm keeping the faith in Dino.

Conspiracy theory alert

Dome renovation won't happen because the higher ups know we won't be competitive in D1 football again. When JB leaves and we get left out of the next conference realignment the story of Syracuse athletics will be closed.

6171f929f36f223e91f803b8f8e00390.jpg

Being in a bowl game doesn't really matter theee days other than the extra practice. You are obviously too young to remember when 7 win teams (like us) wouldn't get a bowl bid. It used to be earned. Now you can schedule 4 patsies, get two wins in conference and you go to a meaningless bowl (BC). Ask BC fans if they are happy with a bowl bid and getting The Dazzler back as coach.
I'm not that young . The year we had 7 wins , we lost a home game to Texas after one of the best comebacks in SU history on an endzone celebration call (IMO) . But my point earlier was , we are in the even lower group of mediocre to bad teams , the ones who can't even make an also ran bowl . And in regards to Addazio , he redshirted Anthony Brown this year , he got everything out of that team that was there . BC college football fans are a lot like SU fans , short sighted and impatient .

Not so sure what everyone sees in Babers, but I'll give him my support for a few more years.

Here is what I see that is very obvious...

1) He is playing a modern style of football that has proven success in this era
2) He has the respect of the players
3) He is recruiting better than the people before him at Syracuse
4) His in-game decisions for the most part make total sense
5) He has a track record of winning at other schools and isn't a first year head coach learning on the fly

I think it was a mistake to fire Shafer, and I believe that it would be a mistake to somehow lose Babers. I am not a fan of the "revolving door" approach to managing a coaching staff.

Will say this, though, the Tampa 2 crap's gotta go. It's the equivalent of letting someone throw a sht-ton of jabs in order to stop the hay-maker knockout punch.

I think it was a mistake to fire Shafer, and I believe that it would be a mistake to somehow lose Babers. I am not a fan of the "revolving door" approach to managing a coaching staff.

Will say this, though, the Tampa 2 crap's gotta go. It's the equivalent of letting someone throw a sht-ton of jabs in order to stop the hay-maker knockout punch.
You just can't play it without elite pass rushing DEs. It seems to work ok when the team generates a pass rush with four guys. If Sheppard and Thompson had been here the year it may have been a very different defense.
It wouldn't be my first choice. In this day in age I would run 4 2 5. It seems impossible to play 3 line backers against speed of the other teams.

That's the year to measure him.

We should be competitive in almost every game and not worrying about if we get to a bowl game, but which one.

This takes time. I believe we finally have the right chancellor, AD and coach to get back to being a top 25 program.

Waiting sucks, though. For sure.

I refuse to use injuries as a reason for our struggles. Didn't the last 2 years and won't this year. This is Football. Look at every team at this time of the year and you will see 2nd and 3rd stringers all over the field. That's just what this game does to you. What our problem is there is no depth. These other programs have guys who can step in and be serviceable back ups. We just aren't where we need to be from a depth standpoint and something Babers really needs to build up the next 3 years. I think recruiting bigger players could be of a benefit as well.

Sorry to go off on a rant, but I just hate using injuries as an excuse to losing in football. More than any other sport it's just part of the game you expect year in and year out. I blame the depth.

Injuries are THE primary reason for a struggles this season. You mentioned the solution in your post as well -- we have zero depth. We are not Bama, Ohio State, or even Pitt at this point. We are missing our starting QB (Dungey), WR (Ish), C (Emerich), G (Palmer), DT (Clark), S (Cordy), CB (Dowels). We are also missing our back up center (Byrne), rotational DE (Pickard), and rotational WR (Butler).

For a program like Syracuse, that's just too much to overcome. Look at how miserable Michigan looked against Indiana when they had to start O'Korn. He could barely move the ball.

I agree with you that the primary issue is the lack of size the previous staff decided to bring into the program. Some of these kids are tough as nails, but at some point the bigger body is going to win out -- there's a reason fighting has weight classes.

I wouldn't be upset if Dino went scorched earth like Marrone before him and told a bunch of kids to move on. We ar most likely going to have to bring in a group of JUCOs and grad transfers to help smooth this ride out a bit. It is evident to me we have a bunch of players that just don't belong playing p5 football.

I think we are going to have to go out and grab a JUCO or grad transfer at RT, TE, DL, S, and QB. Those are glaring holes on our roster right now.

On a positive note, I really like what I am seeing from some of these young guys out there. I think Black and Coleman are going to be contributors for a long time. I really like what I saw from Andrew Armstrong yesterday. He is extremely explosive and was a steal for us last year (was a d1 baseball prospect and hell of a basketball player too). I think a lot of these young guys at OL are really going to benefit from getting beat up a bit this season. Love what I have seen from Conway, Roberts, and Byrne.

I saw a ton of blitzes yesterday. I'm going to disagree with you all day on us sitting in a soft cover two shell. I've seen very little of it over the last few weeks.

I saw a ton of blitzes yesterday. I'm going to disagree with you all day on us sitting in a soft cover two shell. I've seen very little of it over the last few weeks.
They got beat in the cover 2 at least twice by the FSU tight ends.

I'm not that young . The year we had 7 wins , we lost a home game to Texas after one of the best comebacks in SU history on an endzone celebration call (IMO) . But my point earlier was , we are in the even lower group of mediocre to bad teams , the ones who can't even make an also ran bowl . And in regards to Addazio , he redshirted Anthony Brown this year , he got everything out of that team that was there . BC college football fans are a lot like SU fans , short sighted and impatient .

Oklahoma, not Texas.

I know because I still, to this day, have difficulty listening to the Boomer Sooner song they play ALL the time.

This is what I don't get with some of you people. Do you think if SU was playing another style of defense this year the likes of Clemson, L'ville, and FSU wouldn't have blown us out? There isn't a defensive system invented yet that would have prevented us from getting blown out in those games. Those teams were all putting 40+ on us this year. End of story!!

It's not the system its the players. We don't have enough good players. Stop bashing the system for crying out loud that has nothing to do with anything on defense.

I saw that, too. Didn't see much of that, though, for roughly the first half of the season.

This is what I don't get with some of you people. Do you think if SU was playing another style of defense this year the likes of Clemson, L'ville, and FSU wouldn't have blown us out? There isn't a defensive system invented yet that would have prevented us from getting blown out in those games. Those teams were all putting 40+ on us this year. End of story!!

It's not the system its the players. We don't have enough good players. Stop bashing the system for crying out loud that has nothing to do with anything on defense.
Dude. No matter what you say, the Tampa 2 sucks. Alabama doesn't run it, Michigan doesn't run it, Ohio State doesn't run it, Clemson doesn't run it. And, last year, when NOT running it, we kept it fairly close against Clemson and LSU.

Tampa 2 sucks.

BTW, the best success we had yesterday, defensively, is when Ward starting dialing up some blitzes.

I see far more positives heading into next season than I have in a quite a few years. The defense is improving, the offensive system will only get better, there are more young guys coming in.

I know it's hard to wait, but we'll get a winner soon.

Dude. No matter what you say, the Tampa 2 sucks. Alabama doesn't run it, Michigan doesn't run it, Ohio State doesn't run it, Clemson doesn't run it. And, last year, when NOT running it, we kept it fairly close against Clemson and LSU.
Great, so you're saying we should do exactly what four of the top teams in college football do? You can do anything you want with the size and talent those teams have.

And I'm so sick of the "fairly close against Clemson and LSU" angle. We lost by ten to both teams, and Fournette ran for like 300 yards against us. Shafer's system stopped working because there was no talent playing it. That same system that "kept it close" couldn't get off the field against UVA, Pitt, or NC State.

The system we have is fine. Just need to grow into it.

Great, so you're saying we should do exactly what four of the top teams in college football do? You can do anything you want with the size and talent those teams have.

And I'm so sick of the "fairly close against Clemson and LSU" angle. We lost by ten to both teams, and Fournette ran for like 300 yards against us. Shafer's system stopped working because there was no talent playing it. That same system that "kept it close" couldn't get off the field against UVA, Pitt, or NC State.

The system we have is fine. Just need to grow into it.
Be sick, then. But, it worked, regardless of what you're sick of.

Being in a bowl game doesn't really matter theee days other than the extra practice. You are obviously too young to remember when 7 win teams (like us) wouldn't get a bowl bid. It used to be earned. Now you can schedule 4 patsies, get two wins in conference and you go to a meaningless bowl (BC). Ask BC fans if they are happy with a bowl bid and getting The Dazzler back as coach.

Psst: all bowl games are meaningless exhibition games. They help with perception, maybe. And extra practices do matter.

Be sick, then. But, it worked, regardless of what you're sick of.
It worked when there was talent. But Shafer didn't recruit much of that. Our defense was SO BAD last year.