I'm so burnt out on SU football | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

I'm so burnt out on SU football

LSU gave him an offer to stop him from going to Tulane . LSU still fears Tulane after all these years.
He was headed to Rutgers before the LSU offer. LSU fearing Tulane is like Michigan fearing Western Michigan.

Cubs - Those teams were not as young as this team. Jackson is the difference vs Louisville. At Clemson vs home. We also played keep away offense vs aggressive offense.

VaTech plays a version of the Tampa2 at times. We don't play it exclusively either.
More so than we should.

And then they sucked, bad, and Chizik got fired in 2012. Also, did you see how many points their opponents put up on them in 2010?
I would say that D did well against Alabama, South Carolina, and Oregon. NOW obviously Chizik flamed out but you can never take that NC.
With the Tampa 2 you need an elite offense. Right now we don't have an elite offense.

I would say that D did well against Alabama, South Carolina, and Oregon. NOW obviously Chizik flamed out but you can never take that NC.
With the Tampa 2 you need an elite offense. Right now we don't have an elite offense.
I would say that Cam Newton did well against those teams. Without Cam, I seriously doubt they'd have won those games.

Last edited:
He was headed to Rutgers before the LSU offer. LSU fearing Tulane is like Michigan fearing Western Michigan.
Tulane is equal to WMU . That is some yankee thinking there .

Tulane is equal to WMU . That is some yankee thinking there .
You didn't get my point. LSU doesn't fear Tulane they are the big dog in the state and will be. LSU is the state flagship public school.
Tulane is a tiny private school with small enrollment.
One game at LSU probably equals 4 games at Tulane.
Scott going to Tulane doesn't bother LSU one iota.
LSU cares about Alabama.

It's only okay to blah it on a message board then? You made it the entire forum's business.

That's my point.

I know what you're trying to do. Tell ya what, I'll let YOU take up the slack. Have fun.

I know what you're trying to do. Tell ya what, I'll let YOU take up the slack. Have fun.[/QUOTE

Put words in your mouth like "the Tampa 2 sucks"??????

Turning someone's argument into a totally different one that you're making into an issue? That's some message board thinking right there.
He stated that there was no depth recruited at the QB position by SS and I replied that he left Dungey , and had highly rated Rex and Louisianian high school POTY Scott coming in . That seems more than adequate to me .

He stated that there was no depth recruited at the QB position by SS and I replied that he left Dungey , and had highly rated Rex and Louisianian high school POTY Scott coming in . That seems more than adequate to me .

But you're not Babers.

The exact comment I was referring to was when you said "Tulane is equal to Western Michigan? That's some yankee thinking right there." Which isn't at all what Alsacs was trying to say. But you flipped it in a different way and tried to turn it into an insult.

The exact comment I was referring to was when you said "Tulane is equal to Western Michigan? That's some yankee thinking right there." Which isn't at all what Alsacs was trying to say. But you flipped it in a different way and tried to turn it into an insult.
Tulane is one of the finest universities in the South . They just built a new stadium and hired a new coach and are located in NOLA . There is no reason to think they couldn't be as good as Baylor , TCU , Stanford or Southern Cal . WMU is a good low level state school .

bcubs9497 said:
I know what you're trying to do. Tell ya what, I'll let YOU take up the slack. Have fun.

Being the father of one of the best players on a young defense decimated by injury in year one of a new system and calling the coaches out on a internet form is bush league in my opinion. Not sure what could possibly be gained by doing so.

Tulane is one of the finest universities in the South . They just built a new stadium and hired a new coach and are located in NOLA . There is no reason to think they couldn't be as good as Baylor , TCU , Stanford or Southern Cal . WMU is a good low level state school .
Tulane has been irrelevant since Shaun King and Tommy Bowden.
They have a tiny fanbase. It's all alums and they don't pump out a lot of
Alums a year.
Tulane will not be a player in CFB consistently.

What's so confusing? ND in 2014 scored 31 (not Tampa 2). This year, 50 (Tampa 2). Louisville scored 41 points last year, 28 in 2014 (not Tampa 2). This year? 62 points and a metric sht ton of yards. 800+ of total offense, as a matter of fact. Clemson, 2015, 37 points (not Tampa 2). In 2014, 16 points (not Tampa 2). This year? 54 points.

I like Babers offense; there's potential to put up a ton of points, once everything falls into place. But, as far as I'm concerned, the Tampa 2 is as desirable as a used suppository. Seemingly, no one with a winning record runs it. I can't think of anyone.

Is it the scheme or just the pace of the game? I'd be interested in seeing points given up vs. number of possessions.

I'd also say that this was probably our youngest, least experienced defense too, which tends to happen with coaching changes. They were clueless vs. Louisville, but have clearly improved since then.

To Dino it's year 1. :rolleyes:

To SU fans it's year 15. :oops:

But that doesn't change Dino's situation so maybe we better start using his clock, not ours. This isn't about pulling rabbits out of your hat. It's about building a football program. Dino has just begun the job of doing that. Previous coaches didn't get the chance to do that or left before the job was finished. That's why we are in the position we are in. Yes, the signs were not good that Robinson or Shafer were going to do that. The bottom line is that if you change coaches every 3-4 years, this is what you are going to get. Babers has a proven system and a proven track record and we really can't afford for him to fail, so we've got to give him every chance to succeed.

Look at Baylor's record when Briles took over in 2008: Baylor Historical Scores
How do you think they felt after 12 straight losing seasons and then two more under Briles?

I get why people just feel like tuning out. Overall since 2001, we're probably THEE worst p5 program in football. Only one other team has gone that long without being ranked (Iowa State). Every single school has had at least 1 "where did that come from" type of season. BC, Rutgers, Wake, Virginia, Washington State, Colorado, Kansas...every crap program comparable to us, has had seasons where they ranked in the top 10 at some point, and that is what gives me hope. Why can Kansas put together a top 10 team. Why can BC? Washington State was a laughing stock. They're as secluded in the Northwest as we are in the Northeast.
What I can't get, is why specifically after this season, people are ready to throw in the towel. We got pretty much exactly what Dino told us we'd have, and pretty much exactly what reasonable fans assumed we'd achieve. We're most likely going to win 4 games. Most realistic fans predicted 4-5 wins with a healthy Dungey. I'm willing to bet that if Dungey was healthy, we beat NC state, and if we don't play in a monsoon, we beat Wake, putting us at 6 wins right now. I know...a lot of if's, but that has to be weighed into how we view this season. We all knew this would take a while to build. Depth, to me, is the biggest issue moving forward. I'm not all that worried about the talent level. I think with proper depth, we can win 7-9 games most years with the kind of talent we can reasonably expect here. We haven't even gotten out of first gear. Dino has not brought in 1 single recruit that he wants for his team. Even with all the injuries, lack of talent, and depth, we had a team good enough to win 6 games.
I hope you're in for the long haul, because depth won't be built over night, but I feel optimistic about our trajectory, so long as Dino is steering the ship.

Whether HCDB is the man to turn the ship around is an unknown at this time. We all hope he is as we are the core of a dwindling base of fans who even care about Syracuse football.

What is known, beyond theory and eye test, is we did not take any measurable steps forward this year to reaching our goal. In comparison to last year the offense has been statistically worse, the defense is equal or lesser in most relevant categories and we likely will not improve in wins and losses.

I've already renewed my tix for next year so I'm in on HDCB but I'm out on the faith without evidence. Gonna have to show me the money moving forward. Success or failure for me will be measured in the W-L column without deviation.

We have our highest rated recruiting class in 5 years. Babers had 1 QB on the roster, no DE pressure, a weak secondary and people are acting like this year is shocking.
Our roster is bare thin. We actually have a leader and vision now. He needs to get multiple recruitng classes before we see big results.
We were never going anywhere with the previous regime. I believe Babers with his guys will have a good offense in the future. Our best player this year has been a 5th year guy who Babers brought in.