I'm so burnt out on SU football | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

I'm so burnt out on SU football

It worked when there was talent. But Shafer didn't recruit much of that. Our defense was SO BAD last year.
What was the final against Louisville last year? This year? ND in 2014; Notre Dame 2016?

Sht, WF beat us this year running the Tampa 2.

You just can't play it without elite pass rushing DEs. It seems to work ok when the team generates a pass rush with four guys. If Sheppard and Thompson had been here the year it may have been a very different defense.
It wouldn't be my first choice. In this day in age I would run 4 2 5. It seems impossible to play 3 line backers against speed of the other teams.
I'm intrigued. Nickel as a "base" would be interesting.

What was the final against Louisville last year? This year? ND in 2014; Notre Dame 2016?

Sht, WF beat us this year running the Tampa 2.
Your argument that one defense was better than another on teams that went 3-9, 4-8, and at best 5-7 confuses me like crazy.

A system we ran for seven years started off dominant in 2010 and regressed into a sieve in 2015. A new, much different system started off as a sieve in 2016 and has steadily improved all season.

Your argument that one defense was better than another on teams that went 3-9, 4-8, and at best 5-7 confuses me like crazy.

A system we ran for seven years started off dominant in 2010 and regressed into a sieve in 2015. A new, much different system started off as a sieve in 2016 and has steadily improved all season.
The offense broke down the last 2 years ( 2014 , 2015 ) because of QB injuries . The defense was good but not deep and strong enough to carry the team in the ACC .

This is year one of a four year project to be nationally relevant. We should make lower bowls in the next 2 years.

This roster had 1 P5 QB, little quality returning OL depth, and a young DL.
We need more DBs.

I trust in Dino.

The offense broke down the last 2 years ( 2014 , 2015 ) because of QB injuries . The defense was good but not deep and strong enough to carry the team in the ACC .
Who was in charge of recruiting QBs?
We can thank Dino for our highest rated recruit in a decade QB Tommy DeVito.

What's so confusing? ND in 2014 scored 31 (not Tampa 2). This year, 50 (Tampa 2). Louisville scored 41 points last year, 28 in 2014 (not Tampa 2). This year? 62 points and a metric sht ton of yards. 800+ of total offense, as a matter of fact. Clemson, 2015, 37 points (not Tampa 2). In 2014, 16 points (not Tampa 2). This year? 54 points.

I like Babers offense; there's potential to put up a ton of points, once everything falls into place. But, as far as I'm concerned, the Tampa 2 is as desirable as a used suppository. Seemingly, no one with a winning record runs it. I can't think of anyone.

Who was in charge of recruiting QBs?
We can thank Dino for our highest rated recruit in a decade QB Tommy DeVito.
Does DeVito have some special protection that precludes him from being injured ?

What's so confusing? ND in 2014 scored 31 (not Tampa 2). This year, 50 (Tampa 2). Louisville scored 41 points last year, 28 in 2014 (not Tampa 2). This year? 62 points and a metric sht ton of yards. 800+ of total offense, as a matter of fact. Clemson, 2015, 37 points (not Tampa 2). In 2014, 16 points (not Tampa 2). This year? 54 points.
But your argument assumes that college football is stagnant and nothing ever changes.

Louisville has Lamar Jackson, who took a huge step forward this season. Clemson had major QB issues in 2014, and Watson was injured when we played them. Notre Dame committed five turnovers in the first half in 2014 (our leading rusher that day was Riley Dixon).

You can't compare individual games and say we should improve year by year when not accounting for the fact that every team changes year after year, unless you're Alabama.

I thought the defense was awful last year, especially in the pinches. And the defense hasn't been great this year, but there's been enough improvement that if Babers wants to give it another year, I'm okay with that.

Dude. No matter what you say, the Tampa 2 sucks. Alabama doesn't run it, Michigan doesn't run it, Ohio State doesn't run it, Clemson doesn't run it. And, last year, when NOT running it, we kept it fairly close against Clemson and LSU.

Tampa 2 sucks.

BTW, the best success we had yesterday, defensively, is when Ward starting dialing up some blitzes.

First off, I'm sure coach would appreciate you telling him his "defense sucks." In fact, I suggest you text him that some time. I'm sure Steven would appreciate it. Maybe you don't agree with it, but as the parent of a player in the program, I would think you might try to head in a different direction.

Secondly, UM plays a ton of base 4-3 with a two high look. It's pretty easy for Clemson and Bama for run out different fronts because they can easily recruit the athletes needed for a 3 man front. We don't have that luxury right now.

The issue with our defense is compounded because we have a bunch of first time starters and young kids that limit the ability for us to roll out different coverages and blitzes. Our secondary has been decimated with injuries. Our DL is in the same boat.

It stinks right now to watch this go on, but I certainly understand it. The issues have been exacerbated with the injuries on the offense as well. They can't stay on the field and Babers' isn't going to go slow all of the sudden.

Here is what I see that is very obvious...

1) He is playing a modern style of football that has proven success in this era
2) He has the respect of the players
3) He is recruiting better than the people before him at Syracuse
4) His in-game decisions for the most part make total sense
5) He has a track record of winning at other schools and isn't a first year head coach learning on the fly
I don't know...that's sounding very tin-foil-hat-wearing to me...

First off, I'm sure coach would appreciate you telling him his "defense sucks." In fact, I suggest you text him that some time. I'm sure Steven would appreciate it. Maybe you don't agree with it, but as the parent of a player in the program, I would think you might try to head in a different direction.

Secondly, UM plays a ton of base 4-3 with a two high look. It's pretty easy for Clemson and Bama for run out different fronts because they can easily recruit the athletes needed for a 3 man front. We don't have that luxury right now.

The issue with our defense is compounded because we have a bunch of first time starters and young kids that limit the ability for us to roll out different coverages and blitzes. Our secondary has been decimated with injuries. Our DL is in the same boat.

It stinks right now to watch this go on, but I certainly understand it. The issues have been exacerbated with the injuries on the offense as well. They can't stay on the field and Babers' isn't going to go slow all of the sudden.

Already had that conversation with Steven.

Does DeVito have some special protection that precludes him from being injured ?
Dungey got a concussion because a dirty CMU player hit him helmet to helmet.
That is a complete freak situation he wasn't injured because he is prone to injury.
Then Shafer left him in a blowout and got him killed.

This year he got crunched. What happened to Dungey has nothing to do with DeVito.
Atleast we will finally have QB depth. Our former coach left us no depth across the board.

But your argument assumes that college football is stagnant and nothing ever changes.

Louisville has Lamar Jackson, who took a huge step forward this season. Clemson had major QB issues in 2014, and Watson was injured when we played them. Notre Dame committed five turnovers in the first half in 2014 (our leading rusher that day was Riley Dixon).

You can't compare individual games and say we should improve year by year when not accounting for the fact that every team changes year after year, unless you're Alabama.

I thought the defense was awful last year, especially in the pinches. And the defense hasn't been great this year, but there's been enough improvement that if Babers wants to give it another year, I'm okay with that.
Name me a winning P5 team that, consistently, over the past several years, has run the Tampa 2.

Name me a winning P5 team that, consistently, over the past several years, has run the Tampa 2.
Auburn under Gene Chizik won a NC with Cam Newton on offense and a Tampa 2 defense.

Dungey got a concussion because a dirty CMU player hit him helmet to helmet.
That is a complete freak situation he wasn't injured because he is prone to injury.
Then Shafer left him in a blowout and got him killed.

This year he got crunched. What happened to Dungey has nothing to do with DeVito.
Atleast we will finally have QB depth. Our former coach left us no depth across the board.
He brought in Rex .

I like Babers offense; there's potential to put up a ton of points, once everything falls into place. But, as far as I'm concerned, the Tampa 2 is as desirable as a used suppository. Seemingly, no one with a winning record runs it. I can't think of anyone.

Cubs - Those teams were not as young as this team. Jackson is the difference vs Louisville. At Clemson vs home. We also played keep away offense vs aggressive offense.

VaTech plays a version of the Tampa2 at times. We don't play it exclusively either.

He brought in Rex .
2 QBs in 3 years is not good. We haven't had depth. Shafer couldn't afford to RS. Eric Dungey and Babers basically gambled by RSing Culpepper.
He did and we don't have any depth.

2 QBs in 3 years is not good. We haven't had depth. Shafer couldn't afford to RS. Eric Dungey and Babers basically gambled by RSing Culpepper.
He did and we don't have any depth.
He also had Scott coming who didn't fit Baber's system but would have been dynamic in Lester's system .

Once Scott got an LSU offer he was never coming here. The kid will be interesting to see if he is a player there.
LSU gave him an offer to stop him from going to Tulane . LSU still fears Tulane after all these years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom