I'm so burnt out on SU football | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

I'm so burnt out on SU football

it's worth mentioning that we were 106th in defensive yards per play last year.
But the real question is where are we this year, not better I think.

100th, so far, this year. HUGE change...

Coupled with this:
"I haven't commented at all about the direction of the program and what it will look like next year or in 4 years. I have only stated that the offense has been a statistical disaster this year despite the window dressing of pace of play. That is an factual statement and I don't have to manipulate/cherry pick statistics to prove the same. If you wanna argue that this year's offense is better than last year's offense (not in theory, talking about actual results) I don't think you can make a good case but it is an arguable point.

We are averaging 22.45 points which is 112th in FBS football and the bottom of the barrel for P5 schools and that's at an accelerated pace. From a points per possession basis (adjusting for the 29th toughest schedule to date) we are averaging 1.60 ppp which is 102nd in FBS football. Last year we had the 16th toughest schedule at the end of the season and we averaged and adjusted ppp of 2.13 which was 57th in FBS football. At a much slower pace we still averaged 27.25 points per game in 2015. These specific statistics matter on offense. They are not made up. They remove fandom, emotion and the eye test and give you an objective basis as to where we stand against our own past and more importantly against our peers. I could go on and on with plenty of advanced metrics to prove the depth of my point but it would be like kicking a dead horse at this point.

I fully understand that HCDB needs time to fully implement his system. I am behind that as I believe this program needs consistency in the AD and the staff much more than we have had over the past 15 years. While I don't agree that a faster pace with lesser athletes is a definitive recipe for success I don't mind giving it a try after so many abysmal seasons. Why the hell not? I'll be there to see if the experiment works. It just didn't this year.

And I'm not just an internet fan, I back up my fandom with time, attendance and money and everyone who knows me knows this as I where it on my sleeve. What I don't get from the most fervent backers of HCDB and his offensive scheme is an inability to see that this year it didn't work and to be able to critically analyze that failure. Instead, they lash out and say you're not a real fan and to Have a nice day! and just attack. You're not one of them as you can have actual constructive discourse which I actually appreciate reading and responding.

Anyway, here's to better days moving forward with the football program and for the always nice transition to hoops season moving forward."

If I remember correctly, Babers said that the reason for the Tampa 2 is because it's allegedly the defensive scheme that gives his offense the most trouble. VT didn't give us too much trouble. And, I'm pretty sure there was a lot more aggressive play on our part, defensively.
last year we got more defensive scores and had overtime short field possessions

if you want to call it advanced, you need to exclude those

last year we got more defensive scores and had overtime short field possessions

if you want to call it advanced, you need to exclude those

That's Louie and Bouie's. Merely quoted.

Baylor doesn't run a Tampa 2. They're pretty aggressive defensively.

We'll sure. Babers has a different idea about how they fit together. And it's an open question to whether that can work here. But it's not time to write an obit for the Syracuse Tampa 2 just yet.

i spent way too much time nerding out over this last year - please don't make me do it again ha
I won't =D

But, honestly, I do really appreciate your analysis.

without dungey running around all the time we never beat virginia tech

with dungey running around all the time we never beat anyone other than maybe BC after he gets hurt

they're in a pickle

baylor offense has QBs pick up easy yards on simple reads that dungey didn't even seem that good at

we have him getting slaughtered running some spread version of the RJ anderson draw plays

next year, when we have a more capable backup, watch them run him less because the running backs have no where to go but up

Through the FSU game, we're 119 in team D, 117 in passing D and 96 in rushing D according to NCAA. None of those numbers are good.

The offensive and defensive systems are deployed to compliment each other. I'm not sure how much we learn until we see the O really click (game 4, of next year?)

I think Ward's done a nice job - there have been way fewer blown coverages. Rewatch Louisville and then Clemson (actually, don't that's bad for anyones health) - but the players were at least in the right spots. That will get better as the players get more experienced. And as kids recruited for those positions play more.

so everything clicks at lsu next year as that is the 4th game next year

I haven't commented at all about the direction of the program and what it will look like next year or in 4 years. I have only stated that the offense has been a statistical disaster this year despite the window dressing of pace of play. That is an factual statement and I don't have to manipulate/cherry pick statistics to prove the same. If you wanna argue that this year's offense is better than last year's offense (not in theory, talking about actual results) I don't think you can make a good case but it is an arguable point.

We are averaging 22.45 points which is 112th in FBS football and the bottom of the barrel for P5 schools and that's at an accelerated pace. From a points per possession basis (adjusting for the 29th toughest schedule to date) we are averaging 1.60 ppp which is 102nd in FBS football. Last year we had the 16th toughest schedule at the end of the season and we averaged and adjusted ppp of 2.13 which was 57th in FBS football. At a much slower pace we still averaged 27.25 points per game in 2015. These specific statistics matter on offense. They are not made up. They remove fandom, emotion and the eye test and give you an objective basis as to where we stand against our own past and more importantly against our peers. I could go on and on with plenty of advanced metrics to prove the depth of my point but it would be like kicking a dead horse at this point.

I fully understand that HCDB needs time to fully implement his system. I am behind that as I believe this program needs consistency in the AD and the staff much more than we have had over the past 15 years. While I don't agree that a faster pace with lesser athletes is a definitive recipe for success I don't mind giving it a try after so many abysmal seasons. Why the hell not? I'll be there to see if the experiment works. It just didn't this year.

And I'm not just an internet fan, I back up my fandom with time, attendance and money and everyone who knows me knows this as I where it on my sleeve. What I don't get from the most fervent backers of HCDB and his offensive scheme is an inability to see that this year it didn't work and to be able to critically analyze that failure. Instead, they lash out and say you're not a real fan and to Have a nice day! and just attack. You're not one of them as you can have actual constructive discourse which I actually appreciate reading and responding.

Anyway, here's to better days moving forward with the football program and for the always nice transition to hoops season moving forward.
Aside from defensive scores, returns and over time, you have include Murphy's troubles. Hard to blame coaching or schemes for that in times where it was imprudent to go for it

Psst: all bowl games are meaningless exhibition games. They help with perception, maybe. And extra practices do matter.[/QUOTE
Yeah, like my post said "other than the extra practice" but thanks.