Class of 2014 - In the end 2014 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 In the end 2014

Shaggy

Scout Team
When we are all said and done on signing day I foresee the following.

=AJ upgraded to four star by all sites.
=Franklin upgraded to four star by some sites.
=KJ downgraded to three stars by most sites.
=Ismael and Custis signed.
=A decent D-line man, plus Wayne Williams.
=A juco offensive lineman. And the the one that wants to wear Cuse orange, not Illini orange. And watch out for a center. Possible local kid (nys) or possible long shot.
=Hallmon
=Witter and maybe Contravious (possible switch to LB for the latter).
=I know I didn't include two others from last year, but one may end up elsewhere. Overall, we are in a place we haven't been since the mid 90s with a recruiting class. Cheers to the new staff!!!
=Maybe, just maybe. Not sure and research does not prove this, but I have a feeling about a CBA kid (just a teaser). No he is not the QB and lacrosse recruit.

Overall-our class will break the top 35 when all said and done. I did some computing and speculation after a bunch of outside research and also comparing what other schools with our current people have left for spots and positions. We are in very, very good shape. Shun me if you have to, but this is what I have found and stick firm to what I am quoting here.

=A juco offensive lineman. And the the one that wants to wear Cuse orange, not Illini orange. And watch out for a center. Possible local kid (nys) or possible long shot.
=Hallmon
=I know I didn't include two others from last year, but one may end up elsewhere. Overall, we are in a place we haven't been since the mid 90s with a recruiting class. Cheers to the new staff!!!
=Maybe, just maybe. Not sure and research does not prove this, but I have a feeling about a CBA kid (just a teaser). No he is not the QB and lacrosse recruit.

Overall-our class will break the top 35 when all said and done. I did some computing and speculation after a bunch of outside research and also comparing what other schools with our current people have left for spots and positions. We are in very, very good shape. Shun me if you have to, but this is what I have found and stick firm to what I am quoting here.
You have enough good speculations not to send me into another state of depression that requires medication(" kidding") I gotta ask who is contravious?? I haven't read about that name to my recollection.!:noidea:

=Hallmon

I don't see the bumps to AJ and Zaire. There just isn't any incentive for them to do so. Rankings are barely based on statistics, but more on potential, and production against other elite competition. Take AJ's statistics last season for example, plus he led his team to a state championship. 37:1 Td to INT ratio, and a state title only gets you 2 and 3 stars according to a few sites. Unless he grows another 2 inches, and puts on 15lbs it's just not happening. Same with Zaire. They aren't going to bump a 6'1 215lb OLB who is committed to Syracuse, a site with limited subscribers.

In the long run it doesn't matter. Sure it has a small effective on perception, but just as long as these are the guys the staff wants we should be excited. There are so many players all over the country, and especially in the northeast that go so little coverage that they slip through the cracks. Look at guys like Jerome Smith, Justin Pugh, Sean Hickey, Alec Lemon, Jay Bromley. All northeast guys, who weren't "camp" kids. With the whole camp circuit now a days if kids don't attend they are held against them. For example this season Steve Ishmael wasn't a camp kid, but he is a kid who we feel is flying under the radar. He performed at a high level in one of the best leagues in the country, but he's "only" a low 3 star recruit because he didn't attend all these camps. I also believe this is what effecting AJ's grade. I know he was supposed to attend a rivals camp, but didn't make it last minute. The next week he was switched from QB to athlete. Same happened with scout where he was only given 2 stars. There is so much more that goes into these ratings then actual performance, and in some cases rankings they deserve.

I have been thinking along the same lines - this is going to be the best class in years - how many years who knows.

Interesting post / analysis, Shaggy. Hope you are right!

I don't see the bumps to AJ and Zaire. There just isn't any incentive for them to do so. Rankings are barely based on statistics, but more on potential, and production against other elite competition. Take AJ's statistics last season for example, plus he led his team to a state championship. 37:1 Td to INT ratio, and a state title only gets you 2 and 3 stars according to a few sites. Unless he grows another 2 inches, and puts on 15lbs it's just not happening. Same with Zaire. They aren't going to bump a 6'1 215lb OLB who is committed to Syracuse, a site with limited subscribers.

In the long run it doesn't matter. Sure it has a small effective on perception, but just as long as these are the guys the staff wants we should be excited. There are so many players all over the country, and especially in the northeast that go so little coverage that they slip through the cracks. Look at guys like Jerome Smith, Justin Pugh, Sean Hickey, Alec Lemon, Jay Bromley. All northeast guys, who weren't "camp" kids. With the whole camp circuit now a days if kids don't attend they are held against them. For example this season Steve Ishmael wasn't a camp kid, but he is a kid who we feel is flying under the radar. He performed at a high level in one of the best leagues in the country, but he's "only" a low 3 star recruit because he didn't attend all these camps. I also believe this is what effecting AJ's grade. I know he was supposed to attend a rivals camp, but didn't make it last minute. The next week he was switched from QB to athlete. Same happened with scout where he was only given 2 stars. There is so much more that goes into these ratings then actual performance, and in some cases rankings they deserve.

I only say this in regards to AJ because he is being mentioned as possible player of the year in the state and the Gatorade player of the year. If he puts up the same numbers as last year and wins a state championship he will get bumped. I also think Ziare gets a bump because some of the big boys are going to come calling soon. Some already have.

I only say this in regards to AJ because he is being mentioned as possible player of the year in the state and the Gatorade player of the year. If he puts up the same numbers as last year and wins a state championship he will get bumped. I also think Ziare gets a bump because some of the big boys are going to come calling soon. Some already have.

I can say that I am pretty confident KJ's ranking isn't going anywhere. Farrel absolutely loves him over at Rivalz. He killed it at a couple of their camps and Farrel has raved about him on a few occasions, also saying he has no idea why he isn't a 20 offer guy. I just really believe that in season on the field performances for these kids isn't heavily factored into the rankings.

I can say that I am pretty confident KJ's ranking isn't going anywhere. Farrel absolutely loves him over at Rivalz. He killed it at a couple of their camps and Farrel has raved about him on a few occasions, also saying he has no idea why he isn't a 20 offer guy. I just really believe that in season on the field performances for these kids isn't heavily factored into the rankings.
You are probably right. I don't know why Brian Dohn doesn't have more of a liking for KJ.

I don't know that we will ever see Wayne Williams in a Syracuse uniform.

I doubt we see him this fall, but if the kid learned his lesson we will see him in January.

I saw there was an article up on TOS today where the teaser stated he had been working hard this summer. I assume it was referring to getting his grades in order.
BTW.. every time I see the title of this thread I start to hear..."In the year 2525"...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/183/syracuse

Coach Mac once said that the program will have arrived when we start landing the 300+lb linemen that are being recruited by the big schools.

While there are some nice skill position players on that ESPN list of commitments, the heaviest one so far is 221 lb.

We need to start landing some of the big bodies. Football games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage, between the tackles. Just sayin'.

Hopefully, some quality linemen will see the list of recruits coming in and say, "Yeah, I'd like to play there, too."

He's on track to be here FYI.

He was also on track to be here this summer. There's a reason the big schools moved on and I'm only saying don't bank on him. Would be nice if he gets here, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom