Interesting Tidbit on tickets | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Tidbit on tickets

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
@darrenrovell: Syracuse, Penn State & UNLV have hired @IMGCollege to outsource & maximize their ticket sales.

Anyone know anything about this or what this means?

Smart. Always good to use industry leaders in specific things instead of hamfistedly trying to do those things yourself.

i like it. IMG will have much pricing data to mine from other schools. AD can stick to fundraising - focus on that

I want to be there for the first consultant meeting.

IMG - What would you consider to be the biggest area of development for your ticket sales?

Gross - Look between the 30s

At that point, IMG breaks into the Asian waxing lady from 40 year old virgin when he takes his shirt off. "We're going to need more wax! And cancel all my appointments!"

how much do you charge for seats in endzone?

$2.50

isn't that low?

we make it up on volume

how much for good seats?

about fifteen grand

how many of them do you sell?

about fifteen.

[crickets]

don't worry, we make it up in margin.

how much do you charge for seats in endzone?

$2.50

isn't that low?

we make it up on volume

how much for good seats?

about fifteen grand

how many of them do you sell?

about fifteen.

[crickets]

don't worry, we make it up in margin.

Did we mention we sell beer and run an offense that makes even the children buy them 2 at a time?

There are a couple uber executives at IMG who are Syracuse grads and quite committed to the school. Not a coincidence.

Calling the Box Office is messed up enough as it is.

I can't imagine what'll happen when it's "outsourced" to India. ;)

TGD's quote from the release IMG made and linked above.

"We are looking to the experts at IMG to help ‘New York’s College Team’ reach a much larger audience, including the substantial number of alumni living in New York City.”

Maybe he means they are outsourcing their ticket sales because they outsourced our football games and shortly basketball games to NYC.

If we packed the dome for football games, there wouldn't be a need to take our big home non conference football games to NYC.

If we packed the dome for football games, there wouldn't be a need to take our big home non conference football games to NYC.

Then do things to pack the Dome.

There may be a large alumni base in NYC, and it's wise to reach out to them, but TGD and NC are laying it on a bit thick. The reality is the SU is in Syracuse, not NYC. It's gotten to the point where it reads like they are denying who and where they are. Instead of Syracuse pride, it's smoke and mirrors.

Then do things to pack the Dome.

Honest question from me, bees... and I realize in advance this comparison is not terribly similar, but it's the broader point I want to make...

When I was a kid the Red Sox would sell out every game from basically May to mid-September and run at 90+% capacity for the entire season. At the same time Sox ownership was practically outright hostile to fans. Fenway Park, for all it's historical charm, was one of the most uncomfortable places to sit for 3 hours on Earth. And getting there could range from "difficult" to "absolute freakin' nightmare". And yet they'd sell out as long as the team was relatively in contention.

At the same time whenever the Pats, who had truly abysmal ownership, would sell out as soon as the team got reasonably good. The old Foxboro Stadium was a complete dump, and traffic was a 3 hour exercise in torture.

What does SU need to do? I get that the program has been crappy for many years now, so I'm not really arguing that point. But when things were good in the 90s, we still didn't pack the place consistently. Why do CNY fans need to be catered too so severely beyond just having a competitive team?

Honest question from me, bees... and I realize in advance this comparison is not terribly similar, but it's the broader point I want to make...

When I was a kid the Red Sox would sell out every game from basically May to mid-September and run at 90+% capacity for the entire season. At the same time Sox ownership was practically outright hostile to fans. Fenway Park, for all it's historical charm, was one of the most uncomfortable places to sit for 3 hours on Earth. And getting there could range from "difficult" to "absolute freakin' nightmare". And yet they'd sell out as long as the team was relatively in contention.

At the same time whenever the Pats, who had truly abysmal ownership, would sell out as soon as the team got reasonably good. The old Foxboro Stadium was a complete dump, and traffic was a 3 hour exercise in torture.

What does SU need to do? I get that the program has been crappy for many years now, so I'm not really arguing that point. But when things were good in the 90s, we still didn't pack the place consistently. Why do CNY fans need to be catered too so severely beyond just having a competitive team?

There is absolutely NOTHING that the AD can do to cater to the CNY locals when it comes to football. They've certainly tried (giving away tickets by the bucket loads for example). CNY is just a really, really poor football town. Unless we decide to go independent and schedule the previous seasons AP Top 7 teams, then maybe people will show. CNY cares much more about the match-up than their actual team.

There are easier ways to fill the Dome, like running buses and doing more advertising in Binghamton, Watertown, Utica, Rochester, Buffalo and Albany. We've never done a great job of that. Plus let's get bus service going from area malls like they do for the Fair.

I know, Jake has already posted that Centro advertises this on its web site, but Centro buses to the game are like the Downtown buses from Armory to the Game. Nobody knows where they are, when they leave, from where, or when they return.

Other than that, they are great services !!!

I wonder if the lack of interest in football is based on the fact that SU is the only major football team within probably 4-5 hours. There aren't any natural rivalries that get people interested in college football. You know, to be bred to hate your rival and root for your home team. There are plenty of NFL fans, basketball fans and baseball fans. So I don't think it is that we don't have sports fans here or do enough for them. People are busy with family life all across the country so it can't be that. The economy sucks all over so I don't buy that. We've been more successful lately so that doesn't seem to be it. I don't buy the nice fall weather and people hate to be inside because the weather sucked Saturday yet we only drew 41K. Maybe IMG can figure out a way to create interest or find a price where people would be interested in coming.

There is absolutely NOTHING that the AD can do to cater to the CNY locals when it comes to football. They've certainly tried (giving away tickets by the bucket loads for example). CNY is just a really, really poor football town. Unless we decide to go independent and schedule the previous seasons AP Top 7 teams, then maybe people will show. CNY cares much more about the match-up than their actual team.

Then the locals won't show up because they'll fear a blowout.

But when things were good in the 90s, we still didn't pack the place consistently.

Well we did have Jake and Coach P back then "promoting" the games. I think with Marrone and TGD we sell out those entire seasons. However with lost population and the fact that every game is now on TV in HD, I don't think we can get more than 45k a game outside of a Top 10 season.

i'm compelled to make this point everytime it comes up. the amount of traffic has a little something to do with the the amount of people.

there's no traffic in syracuse, the place should be packed! never mind that there's no traffic in syracuse because there are no people in syracuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom