Is anyone ready to entertain | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is anyone ready to entertain

If I was an NBA GM, I would not waste a first round pick on Lydon if he keeps playing like this. What does he do that's an NBA caliber skill? He's about average NBA PF height and lighter/weaker than most. He's got good athleticism but nothing that wows you. He can shoot if everybody stays a few feet away from him but can't get himself open. His up-and-under is solid.

What would an NBA GM see that would make him spend a few million to experiment with Lydon right now?
I agree with everything you said which is why I'm baffled that everyone just assumes he's a top 20 pick. I just don't see it.

I agree with everything you said which is why I'm baffled that everyone just assumes he's a top 20 pick. I just don't see it.

I don't think he is at this point. Maybe late first round early second.

I don't think he is at this point. Maybe late first round early second.
I would say early second. He has a lot of limitations. I don't see him being in the NBA very long. He seems like an overseas type of player. He would thrive in the more finesse European game.

He wants NBA money but he is not playing like a player that is debuting for the scouts which is what players do when they know that this is their year. He refuses to force shots. I think that it will come down to the tryouts and workouts. Therefore, it would not surprise me if he comes back.

If I was an NBA GM, I would not waste a first round pick on Lydon if he keeps playing like this. What does he do that's an NBA caliber skill? He's about average NBA PF height and lighter/weaker than most. He's got good athleticism but nothing that wows you. He can shoot if everybody stays a few feet away from him but can't get himself open. His up-and-under is solid.

What would an NBA GM see that would make him spend a few million to experiment with Lydon right now?
Lydon is the main focus of most opposing teams. In the NBA - he will probably be the 3rd guy off the bench his first few years. Teams won't pay attention to him and I think he will get open looks. He's also a very good rim protector. He might get out-muscled but he's still a fairly decent athlete for a guy who will bring other positives to an NBA team.

Lydon is who he is - coming back will ultimately only hurt his stock.

I would say early second. He has a lot of limitations. I don't see him being in the NBA very long. He seems like an overseas type of player. He would thrive in the more finesse European game.
The NBA is turning towards a game that loves stretch 4s. He'd have no chance guarding Al Jefferson in the post - but if he had to guard Ryan Anderson? He'd be fine

I don't understand why people are so down on Lydon. When's the last time we have had a sophomore with as good as numbers as him. I hope he comes back, I think he will. He could improve more next year as a junior, but let's remember Jerami left and he was probably less skilled.

The NBA is turning towards a game that loves stretch 4s. He'd have no chance guarding Al Jefferson in the post - but if he had to guard Ryan Anderson? He'd be fine
The real question is would he actually shoot the ball or just pump fake? I think he has made more pump fakes than shots have been taken. NBA players let loose, he's too gun shy.

I don't understand why people are so down on Lydon. When's the last time we have had a sophomore with as good as numbers as him. I hope he comes back, I think he will. He could improve more next year as a junior, but let's remember Jerami left and he was probably less skilled.
Jerami was a freak athlete and a great defender. There are places in the NBA for those type of players. Tall shooters are abundant around the league. Lydon does nothing exceptionally well.

Lydon is the main focus of most opposing teams. In the NBA - he will probably be the 3rd guy off the bench his first few years. Teams won't pay attention to him and I think he will get open looks. He's also a very good rim protector. He might get out-muscled but he's still a fairly decent athlete for a guy who will bring other positives to an NBA team.

Lydon is who he is - coming back will ultimately only hurt his stock.

I think NBA scouting reports will say one thing about Lydon... don't let him shoot because he can't dribble or score inside at this level. Teams keyed on Hakim Warrick, too. That didn't stop him from dunking on all 5 players at the same time. And Warrick was only a journeyman NBA player. If Lydon can't score against garbage college players keying on him, he can't score against NBA players who aren't keying on him.

Jerami was a freak athlete and a great defender. There are places in the NBA for those type of players. Tall shooters are abundant around the league. Lydon does nothing exceptionally well.

Defense is what makes Grant so appealing. He can probably guard any 3 in the league. Is he Leonard? No, but he has a legit nba skill.

I think NBA scouting reports will say one thing about Lydon... don't let him shoot because he can't dribble or score inside at this level. Teams keyed on Hakim Warrick, too. That didn't stop him from dunking on all 5 players at the same time. And Warrick was only a journeyman NBA player. If Lydon can't score against garbage college players keying on him, he can't score against NBA players who aren't keying on him.

I think lydon does have an nba skill, problem is he is soooooo gun shy he takes the one NBA skill out of his game.

I think lydon does have an nba skill, problem is he is soooooo gun shy he takes the one NBA skill out of his game.

This is a good point. Why isn't he shooting 10 3's per game?

That Lydon will be back? He was dominated tonight.

He's had a rough 2-3 week stretch. Missing layups, getting taken to the basket, shot being blocked because of hesitation.

He's softer than charmin.
why would he come back? if he comes back he will only be made to look worse with this d-2 roster we have put together. he would be playing with either a frosh guard that was a total reach or another grad transfer at guard that plays like god knows what.

I know what you're getting at - but Warrick largely relied on athletic ability to score - in the NBA that doesn't fly.

Lydon's main skill translates to the NBA. There's plenty of guys who made a living in the NBA just shooting and not being able to do much of anything else.

I think a question to you would be - what does Lydon gain by coming back? Will he improve his NBA stock that much?

Defense is what makes Grant so appealing. He can probably guard any 3 in the league. Is he Leonard? No, but he has a legit nba skill.
Yes, that's why he is a bad comparison for Lydon. If you can defend and rebound you can make it. Lydon isn't defending NBA 3's or 4's and doesn't take advantage of his beautiful stroke.

This is a good point. Why isn't he shooting 10 3's per game?

The scary part is he probably has a chance at 10 threes a game but that slow pump fake just brings the defender close to him and he's done for the next 5 seconds on the shot clock. Probably more frustrating to me than D.C. dribbling in the post.

He shoots the 3 at 40%. Like it or not there's more Lydon types and less Grant types every year.

I also think it's funny we want guys to stay four years then are ready to throw them out the door and say they stink during their sophomore year, like he's not going to improve at all. It makes zero sense to me.

Lydon needs 30 mpg to be most effective. He's just not a 40 mpg (and that's not a knock)

I'm disappointed in how he apparently handled his off-season. He gained bad weight, instead of putting on muscle. He was on the Gerry fishing regiment. Oh, that's not true. He did a lot of hunting too. I don't get it. He should've been working on adding good muscle. There are times he looks very sluggish out there. I know he's playing big minutes but I think him being soft is a huge factor.

This should've been a good matchup for him. Smart move by Pastner playing the matchup zone. We prepped for man. It through us off.

I know what you're getting at - but Warrick largely relied on athletic ability to score - in the NBA that doesn't fly.

Lydon's main skill translates to the NBA. There's plenty of guys who made a living in the NBA just shooting and not being able to do much of anything else.

I think a question to you would be - what does Lydon gain by coming back? Will he improve his NBA stock that much?

I think he has dropped to the 2nd round at this point. If he comes back, he won't drop any lower (unless he somehow continues to regress).

The first year in the NBA is typically make or break. If you don't do well you get lost in the shuffle and it's hard to make it out of the d-league.

Lydon needs to put 15 more pounds of muscle on and develop the mentality that he is the man. His timid ways and lack of muscle will get him barried on the bench by guys who want to eat his lunch.

Come back and get his mind and body right so that he gives himself his best shot in his first year in the league.

Can anyone actually think Lydon is going to defend NBA 3-men (SF) playing m-2-m? Never. He's too undersized to play the 4...would have to put on 20 lbs of muscle.
If they think that, they just simply don't watch enough of the NBA. All you can really say to that. Who knows tho, Tyler seems like a great kid and I think I have heard he has a solid work ethic so maybe he does tack on quality muscle in an NBA training program. But if I had to predict, I just do not see him lasting.

I'm disappointed in how he apparently handled his off-season. He gained bad weight, instead of putting on muscle. He was on the Gerry fishing regiment. Oh, that's not true. He did a lot of hunting too. I don't get it. He should've been working on adding good muscle. There are times he looks very sluggish out there. I know he's playing big minutes but I think him being soft is a huge factor.

This should've been a good matchup for him. Smart move by Pastner playing the matchup zone. We prepped for man. It through us off.
You speak the truth, Iommi. Doesn't seem like he took his offseason that serious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom