Is anyone ready to entertain | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is anyone ready to entertain

I'm disappointed in how he apparently handled his off-season. He gained bad weight, instead of putting on muscle. He was on the Gerry fishing regiment. Oh, that's not true. He did a lot of hunting too. I don't get it. He should've been working on adding good muscle. There are times he looks very sluggish out there. I know he's playing big minutes but I think him being soft is a huge factor.

This should've been a good matchup for him. Smart move by Pastner playing the matchup zone. We prepped for man. It through us off.
Some kids don't have an offseason - they are basketball 365 days a year; some kids need a few months to get away and relax - but it shows in their game.

Honestly, we can't get mad at the kid for having a life. But I think we all want these kids to give their 100% focus and dedication to their game no matter if it's December or July. It's just some kids aren't built for that. And that's fine. Lydon is entitled to do what he wants in the offseason. But if his ultimate goal is the NBA - he has to be in that 365 mindset

I think he has dropped to the 2nd round at this point. If he comes back, he won't drop any lower (unless he somehow continues to regress).
I don't know. He's weird - I think a team could look at him and really like his game and think that he could come off the bench now and give 15 minutes. All it takes is 1.

If he did come back, I don't see him coming back as a guy who can handle the rock and take people off the dribble. I think he is who he is and will probably end up leaving

He shoots the 3 at 40%. Like it or not there's more Lydon types and less Grant types every year.

I also think it's funny we want guys to stay four years then are ready to throw them out the door and say they stink during their sophomore year, like he's not going to improve at all. It makes zero sense to me.
Remember that the NBA is cyclical like everything else. For Lydon to stick he has to shoot a lot and at an effective clip or dominate defensively or on the boards.

If he is resting on being a more than adequate 3 point shooter but repeatedly doesn't shoot, he will never make it. His strength is his shooting, but you wouldn't be able to tell by his lack of shots.

Something to consider as well is that if we don't make the tourney, Lydon will certainly get passed by some guys who have amazing tournament runs. This is something that happens every year seemingly ala Malachi Richardson. In this scenario he will also be an afterthought for a a few months until the combine. Recent memories have a big effect on people's perception.

Something to consider as well is that if we don't make the tourney, Lydon will certainly get passed by some guys who have amazing tournament runs. This is something that happens every year seemingly ala Malachi Richardson. In this scenario he will also be an afterthought for a a few months until the combine. Recent memories have a big effect on people's perception.

If that's the case there's zero excuse for us to not have a good team next year with he,Battle and Thompson returning.

Agreed...and theres zero nba hype around him.
Unless you are a transcendent offensive talent, being a defensive liability is not a good look. I just can't see him guarding a bigger stronger 4 man or keeping up with an NBA 3. I was watching him tonight closely and he moves sluggish.

Just curious...your an nba gm who u drafting first? Lammers or Lydon

Lammers. If the Plumley's can carve out a niche, Lammers can be even better. Lammers will stay and be even better next year. As Cuse House said, Lammers is a pure center.

If that's the case there's zero excuse for us to not have a good team next year with he,Battle and Thompson returning.
That would be a great core. It would come down to who comes in as a guard or how FH develops between now and next year. We've seen how important good guard play is in JBs nonexistent offense.

Unless you are a transcendent offensive talent, being a defensive liability is not a good look. I just can't see him guarding a bigger stronger 4 man or keeping up with an NBA 3. I was watching him tonight closely and he moves sluggish.

Lydon would never play the three in the NBA. He's young, he can rebound well and stroke the crap out of the ball. Lydon can gain muscle and has skill while being close to the same size as Lammers who plays a position that is changing in the NBA.

I'm not rooting for an injury. I'm actually rooting for him to go off and carry us into the second round of the tourney.

I wasn't saying anyone was rooting for an injury, I'm just saying that's probably the only way he's back. We'd all love it if he went off and took us on a run.

Can anyone actually think Lydon is going to defend NBA 3-men (SF) playing m-2-m? Never. He's too undersized to play the 4...would have to put on 20 lbs of muscle.

He could put on 10-15 pounds in an offseason, but it'd be much easier as a pro/preparing for the draft than as a college athlete.

That would be a great core. It would come down to who comes in as a guard or how FH develops between now and next year. We've seen how important good guard play is in JBs nonexistent offense.

We wouldn't be any better. No point guard. FH is not the answer. I won't mention how much more optimistic I'd be with that Philly guard who shall not be named in our back pocket.

Some kids don't have an offseason - they are basketball 365 days a year; some kids need a few months to get away and relax - but it shows in their game.

Honestly, we can't get mad at the kid for having a life. But I think we all want these kids to give their 100% focus and dedication to their game no matter if it's December or July. It's just some kids aren't built for that. And that's fine. Lydon is entitled to do what he wants in the offseason. But if his ultimate goal is the NBA - he has to be in that 365 mindset

Yeah, he absolutely can do what he wants. I wonder if other programs mandate players being in an offseason conditioning program? I imagine some do. In his case, it would've been in his best interests but whatever floats his (fishing) boat. He will still get paid.

Last edited:
Two big red flags for me if I am an NBA scout/GM:
- Tyler's biggest strength is shooting but he has a REALLY REALLY SLOW set shot which he can't seem to get off even against college players
- His second biggest strength is supposedly the athletic mismatch he can cause as a springy 4 but he couldn't take the big dude from Tech off the dribble when he came out to guard him on the perimeter

Lammers projected to be drafted in second round, about 45th pick.

The play where he drop stepped...and then dribbled for no reason, followed by a pumpfake for no reason, and then he got swatted by the help defender who just made a beeline from far away and had time to get there because Lydon just took so long! So frustrating. He had the easy, quick hoop off the drop step!

He should watch some Antawn Jamison college tape. Guy had a quick release down low. As soon as he had the shot, that ball was through the hoop. Lydon takes so long and hesitates so much at times when he doesn't need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom