Is Gus gone? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is Gus gone?

Big loss but aren't we supposed to have two RB studs that red-shirted this year, plus potentially another in Ashton? Suddenly these guys are bums?

No doubt that losing Gus hurts some. I don't think it kills NYC pipeline. If Reddish and WW (and others) can be great, it keeps us in the spotlight. Especially if Ishaq, EO and Gus don't play a lot or don't show well.

Like others have said - we need to be a strong presence with the new staff still. Keep momentum going.

Big loss but aren't we supposed to have two RB studs that red-shirted this year, plus potentially another in Ashton? Suddenly these guys are bums?

Always need a pipeline and Morris/Mac are different kind of backs vs Gus. AAM is not the answer (although he showed signs of life).

The Ashton chatter as a running back is just not realistic. He doesn't want to play the position, he wasn't a RB in high school and my guess is will transfer is that's his only option.

I don't think we are as deep as some folks think.

U guys really think he is gonna play instead of Ray lewis's son??He is committed to the U at the RB postition too

I saw a Rivals article today confirming that Gus is down to FSU and Miami. I guess the prospect of playing FB in the Sunshine State was too much to overcome. At least we had an idea that this would happen for weeks now. Bummed but not surprised. Would love to get Laray now or maybe have our LB recruit from Rochester play RB instead.

Always need a pipeline and Morris/Mac are different kind of backs vs Gus. AAM is not the answer (although he showed signs of life).

The Ashton chatter as a running back is just not realistic. He doesn't want to play the position, he wasn't a RB in high school and my guess is will transfer is that's his only option.

New staff probably means a fresh shot at a new position. Let's see what McDonald does before writing him off as a transfer.

we need at least one back in this class - preferably two.

the good news is that there are lots of RBs that have D1 potential and we don't have to get a widely known name to get a decent back.

Jerome Smith wasn't even ranked nationally if I recall...

I can't believe the NCAA gace the ok to contact recruits as many times as u want via social media...This will only get worse...I like to follow some of these kids just to get the latest info and straight from the source but to call out a 17 or 18 yr old is a but crazy

What I'm hearing is that he is down to U-M and Syracuse. Haven't heard Syracuse being removed. Hope that is true at least.

I told this to a few people yesterday.

I know these kids are just that, kids, but their logic is head scratching sometimes. When Gus committed it was all about the family and brotherhood of playing with his good buddies and former teammates. He also cited the improved facilities.

So the coaching staff leaves, the two things he cited as reasons why he committed in the first place have not changed, yet he is considering decommitting, lol.

I dont really blame the kids, they are kids, dont really know better. But I do blame the handlers, parents, guardians etc. I wish for once these kids would be honest, and say "When I committed to Syracuse, they were the only show in town, now some of the bigger dogs are offering me, and I'd rather go there." Even though they are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th options after school X has whiffed on their primary targets.

During the EO recruitment, I always had a feeling that EO felt too big for SU, and wanted to be known as a NATIONAL recruit. So he chooses Clemson. Now dont get me wrong, Clemson football day experience to the SU gameday experience is NIGHT AND DAY, and there are plenty of reasons to pick Clemson, but the BS reasoning he gave during the UA Allstar game was mind boggling, closer to home?

Ishaqs dad was right, the coaches are always going to take care of the reigional recruits first. You think Clemson or Miami are going to care if they bury these kids on the bench, of course not.

Miami has been medicorce for YEARS. They MAY get the NCAA hammer. Miami is 1300 miles away from Staten Island. Golden could leave for another job next year, then what?

I just dont get the logic these kids use to pick schools. If Gus commits to Miami, I wish he would just be honest and say Miami is my dream school. I'd rather that than the BS coaches left even though ALL OF HIS FRIENDS are still here lol.

There is no school he can transfer to that will want him as a QB. None.

Ashton should be used like Harvin on the Vikings if he is playing on offense. He is not a pure RB he is not a pure QB.

Straight from Gus...
Young_King@GodsGiftGUS
Smh I didn't even de-commit!

So now do we have to start a new thread that says stories of Gus decommitting untrue?

Regardless of whether he decommitted today or not, I have long expected him to do so and still expect him to go to Florida. It appears it'll be Miami now but we have to move on. No need to send him hate tweets. How can you hate on the decision? He's going to Coral Gables... A whole lot of fiiiiiiine women there, probably lined his pockets a little bit, and was probably told he has a shot to compete at RB (or FB, I don't know if Gus like the idea or not). Let him go. Runningbacks are a dime a dozen. If there is one position where you can almost always reload some sort of talent, it's got to be RB.

He's a very good player but it's not like losing him is going to make or break this team. It stings a little right now but there will be other great runningbacks. Move on and stop acting like the sky is falling because it is not. I'd rather keep Carter or Brown than Augustus.

not really.

Kid won a state championship at quarterback, throwing up big dual threat statistics - total fluke.
2012 was his freshman yr, a new spread offense was added in the weeks prior to the season and having 2.5 QB's in front of him had nothing to do with it.

Coach P would start him tomorrow!

Just hope Syracuse sends their full coaching contingent down to see Gus for an in-home.

AE getting vocal now is why its never a good idea to bash a kid until (at least) the ink is dry.

Speaking of twitter - I've noticed HOG fans all over Cooper twitter basically begging him to still visit this weekend. Gotta love a couple of the blondies on there begging him to; as well as miami and fsu fans on Gus' twitter.

Somebody start a "Gus not going to a Florida school" tweet-rumor. Then watch what FSU and Cane fans say.

I'd bet their loonies are crazier than ours :).