Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die?

Should SU retire clapping until the first basket at the start of each half?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 74 44.0%
  • No, tradition is more important

Votes: 94 56.0%

• Total voters
Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN

I wish there was a C. I don't care. Because, at this point in my life, I really don't care if people stand waiting on the first field goal of a basketball game. Traditions are great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Absolutely fair. Also hilarious
Btw, I don't blame you for asking the question, it is a great question. It provokes an interesting discussion. Some people remain passionate about the little things, and "little things" is subjective, I understand that. I consider this tradition as a little thing, when compared to the current state of college athletics, let alone the state of our country. As a young man, I thought things would always work themselves out, but I have since lost faith in general public and their ability to reason. So, I try to add humor and with it sometimes direction. Although, whether I am suitable to provide the later...or former...is debatable.

It should absolutely NOT be gotten rid of. Every year, there are posts lamenting our lack of traditions. So we should get rid of one of the very few...maybe the ONLY one we have? Sure, we stole it from New Mexico. But that was long ago and it is now ours.

We once had the "Who's He?" cheer, but that was defanged so as to not offend the masses.

We once had the Manley Zoo. In an effort to appear more sporting, SU neutered The Zoo by moving it to the other end of Manley and calling it The Kennel Club. It was OK but by the time we moved to The Dome, it was no more. Perhaps even prior to that, I no longer recall.

For football, we have the keys thing, but many schools had that before us. I seem to recall Purdue doing it many years ago when Leroy Keyes was there. It isn't even a tradition.

When I was a student, the freshmen had placard cheering at football games. We stole that too, probably from a southern California school where the cheerleaders didn't wear woolen uniforms and brush the occasional snowflake from their hair. By the end of my freshman year, I think it was gone.

Contrary to what people post annually, traditions cannot be "created". They develop organically. The stand and clap thing may be hokie to some and boring to some, but it is ours. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. It's a free country. But it should not be officially ended. We have so little else.
There’s only one tradition I care about and feel we should keep: Winning.

The people have spoken. Glad to see the participation we had.

Theyre wrong of course, but they have spoken.

Also, I should have required you to input your age when voting.
I had the best take in this thread tho, imho.

It should absolutely NOT be gotten rid of. Every year, there are posts lamenting our lack of traditions. So we should get rid of one of the very few...maybe the ONLY one we have? Sure, we stole it from New Mexico. But that was long ago and it is now ours.

We once had the "Who's He?" cheer, but that was defanged so as to not offend the masses.

We once had the Manley Zoo. In an effort to appear more sporting, SU neutered The Zoo by moving it to the other end of Manley and calling it The Kennel Club. It was OK but by the time we moved to The Dome, it was no more. Perhaps even prior to that, I no longer recall.

For football, we have the keys thing, but many schools had that before us. I seem to recall Purdue doing it many years ago when Leroy Keyes was there. It isn't even a tradition.

When I was a student, the freshmen had placard cheering at football games. We stole that too, probably from a southern California school where the cheerleaders didn't wear woolen uniforms and brush the occasional snowflake from their hair. By the end of my freshman year, I think it was gone.

Contrary to what people post annually, traditions cannot be "created". They develop organically. The stand and clap thing may be hokie to some and boring to some, but it is ours. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. It's a free country. But it should not be officially ended. We have so little else.
The "Who's He" cheer was lame, glad that went away

The people have spoken. Glad to see the participation we had.

Theyre wrong of course, but they have spoken.

Also, I should have required you to input your age when voting.

I would also say that 57% "for" a tradition isn't really a ringing endorsement of it. (perhaps I view it that way since I am part of the 43%)

Now lets get a few big home wins next year so we can storm the court, and have some more threads with posters telling other fans what they should and should not do, and how they are better fans etc. (as an aside I am in the pro storm and why give a "****" crowd)

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to hate the home crowd more and more haha.

I don’t hate the standing and clapping as much as I hate the ‘oh, phew, we scored. I can sit down now and move as little as possible.’

Tangentially related, I cannot stand when the crowd lets an opposing player silence them. It’s maddening when the crowd is into it and loud just to groan and shut up because some dude hit a 3 or did a neat dunk. You can keep cheering through that. If the crowd can actually affect players, I’d imagine continuing to clap and shout after some dude tea-bags our big man, as if it’s no big deal, would work better than giving them the satisfaction of shutting up. “You did a 360 windmill from the foul line on our 7 footer’s head? Yawn; couldn’t care less, bro.”
Opponents didn't dare try that stuff during the DC years. Georgetown became a rival then because we finally beat them, and had someone they were afraid of.

Aaaaaaammmeeennn, Aaaaaaammmeeeennnnnn………..

I thought it was a dumb tradition in 1985. Just because it has persisted for so many years doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't dumb still.

Keep it because it's old? We just made a similar decision in the other direction.

Two reasons why it's dumb:
• If you score immediately, it's moot. If you take a bunch of possessions to score, it's an illustration of futility.
• It's pretty much a guarantee that everyone just sits down and stops whatever energy the game began with, just because we finally score.

FWIW I don’t think everyone who wants to get rid of it wants to do it for the same reason. For me anyway, it’s counterproductive. The longer it goes on, the worse the energy gets because everyone just wants us to score.

It’s not even really about “stealing” anything. I like the train whistle. It makes me think of October and Dungey or Schraeder just trucking clowns en route to the end zone. Pretty sure we ripped that off Purdue. I also loved “Hey you suck.” But again…Maryland.

I like traditions in general…just not for the sake of having them though.

Isn’t that the case whether there is clapping or not?

Yeah I wasn’t sure the right way to state that.

I think as had been Stated before it it would have better if we reversed it and cheered until the opposing team scored.

Keep it and add a cue so everyone is on the same page. It's half-hearted because there's no cadence.
Like a damn good song that has a recognizable rhythm!

I’m going to write about this in the alumni game thread, but people stood up and clapped very rapidly. It gave a very different vibe to beginning of each half. I wondered whether they had been reading this board? :rolleyes:

I’m going to write about this in the alumni game thread, but people stood up and clapped very rapidly. It gave a very different vibe to beginning of each half. I wondered whether they had been reading this board? :rolleyes:
I’m just trying to help ‘be the change I want to see in the world’

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom