Is Oshae having the worst FG shooting stretch in SU history? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is Oshae having the worst FG shooting stretch in SU history?

Yeah, I wasn’t real concerned last year because he was a freshman forced into a bigger role than he was ready for. It’s still very early, but I am concerned at the lack of improvement shown so far.

Hopefully it comes around. He’s out there an awful lot. Need him to put the ball in the hole with a reasonable level of efficiency.

Well the good news is he'll likely have 2 more years after this to figure it out.

This guy has won us games before I'd rather he struggle in November than March.

I still think this weakness is definitely he can and will improve on. Plenty of basketball left to be played.

Yeah, I wasn’t real concerned last year because he was a freshman forced into a bigger role than he was ready for. It’s still very early, but I am concerned at the lack of improvement shown so far.

Hopefully it comes around. He’s out there an awful lot. Need him to put the ball in the hole with a reasonable level of efficiency.
He must be on the Gerry McNamara off season fly fishing work our regimen. The most surprising (disappointing?) off season non development is Oshea’s frame. There is no reason for him not adding 10lbs of muscle—which would help him finish at the rim.

Not to mention, he’s not attacking inside and is awfully content to take 3s this year.

Based on the absurdly low shooting stats in the 1950's NBA, I am sure there were players at Syracuse that did much worse at the time.
What about corrected for era of play ?

He must be on the Gerry McNamara off season fly fishing work our regimen. The most surprising (disappointing?) off season non development is Oshea’s frame. There is no reason for him not adding 10lbs of muscle—which would help him finish at the rim.

Not to mention, he’s not attacking inside and is awfully content to take 3s this year.
He looks pretty damn sculpted and strong to me. All the TV guys have remarked the same about his strength. not sure where this observation is coming from.

Every game I expect his breakout game. Now that the pieces are all back together, I'm going with next game. Oshaaaaaaaaaae!

He looks pretty damn sculpted and strong to me. All the TV guys have remarked the same about his strength. not sure where this observation is coming from.

I tend to agree. To me, he just spazzes out at the rim for some reason. He is big enough to use his body to finish at the rim.

Last edited:
First time I saw him live was at msg. Actually he looked smaller than I expected. Pretty slight and probably 6’6 or 7. He looked about the same size as Hughes. He seems to have to contort his body to finish over taller/bigger players. Just my impression. Wasn’t really impressed. Oregon and Iowa each had multiple guys who seemed more athletic.

That being said I think the potential is there. And would love for him to prove me wrong.

If he stays he's going to have a monster junior year. I also see him having a stretch of 5-6 games this year, particularly during ACC play, where he averages well over 20PPG. He's not as bad as many are making him out to be. If his floor is 17 and 9 against the Colgates of the world, i'll take that. Perhaps that translates to an average of 14/7 against ACC play? We'd all sign up for that right now.

If he stays he's going to have a monster junior year. I also see him having a stretch of 5-6 games this year, particularly during ACC play, where he averages well over 20PPG. He's not as bad as many are making him out to be. If his floor is 17 and 9 against the Colgates of the world, i'll take that. Perhaps that translates to an average of 14/7 against ACC play? We'd all sign up for that right now.
He averaged 14.3/7.8 in conference play as a freshman and shot about 35% from deep on over 7 attempts per game, and that was for a severely offensively-challenged team. I'm expecting we'll see better numbers and more efficient scoring from him before the dust settles on this season.

I just don’t see him going as even an option unless he becomes a 38+% 3 point shooter who can finish.

He’s a scorer who to this point has shot incredibly poor %’s. He’s not a good passer or playmaker for others, not a good secondary ballhandler.

He’s gotta put the ball in the hole efficiently to get a look IMO. Any NBA talk is solely based on his measurables and potential at this point IMO.

I just don’t see him going as even an option unless he becomes a 38+% 3 point shooter who can finish.

He’s a scorer who to this point has shot incredibly poor %’s. He’s not a good passer or playmaker for others, not a good secondary ballhandler.

He’s gotta put the ball in the hole efficiently to get a look IMO. Any NBA talk is solely based on his measurables and potential at this point IMO.

Would you say he's got more NBA potential than a guy like Jerami Grant? Because I was shocked that Grant left after two years. He hasn't really done too much in the NBA so far IMO, but he got a nice contract this offseason, again based on potential and his ability to put up defensive stats.

Will Oshae's athleticism and potential be enough to leave after two years if his shooting %s don't improve? We'll see.

Would you say he's got more NBA potential than a guy like Jerami Grant? Because I was shocked that Grant left after two years. He hasn't really done too much in the NBA so far IMO, but he got a nice contract this offseason, again based on potential and his ability to put up defensive stats.

Will Oshae's athleticism and potential be enough to leave after two years if his shooting %s don't improve? We'll see.
Brissett is a cut below Grant in terms of athleticism but seems to have a higher upside as a deep shooter, IMO. I'd argue that Grant has been pretty good to this point, and is building himself a nice, long NBA career.

No. Grant seems taller, longer, and a better overall athlete to me. Oshea’s gotta shoot it well to be better than Grant.

Grant is starting and averaging 11 and 5, and is starting to make 3’s this year. He’s making 1 per game on 35% from 3. He’s doing pretty well.

Recall that he fortunately broke in with the Sixers who were trying to lose, and gave him a lot of minutes even though he wasn’t good. He shot 35% as a rookie and was a terrible offensive player. He has gradually improved over 5 years and is now very effective in his role.

No. Grant seems taller, longer, and a better overall athlete to me. Oshea’s gotta shoot it well to be better than Grant.

Grant is starting and averaging 11 and 5, and is starting to make 3’s this year. He’s making 1 per game on 35% from 3. He’s doing pretty well.

Recall that he fortunately broke in with the Sixers who were trying to lose, and gave him a lot of minutes even though he wasn’t good. He shot 35% as a rookie and was a terrible offensive player. He has gradually improved over 5 years and is now very effective in his role.

Yeah, I hope he sticks around in the NBA for a while. Has he been in the league for FIVE years already?? Wow. Time flies. Looking at his #s, his stocks (steals & blocks - fantasy basketball term) are solid. Anything close to 2.0+ is a great number. Glad to see his shooting has improved. I enjoyed watching Jerami when he was here. He flew under the radar a bit.

jerami is the best syracuse alum in the association right now. and it isn't remotely close.

it's also a low bar, but whatever

And speaking of Grant...with Carmelo getting near the end and in limbo and Waiters still out with a major injury, Grant is currently the best NBA player from Syracuse.

We need some more guys. I don’t see any on the horizon at the moment, and none of our recent guys drafted seem to be making it so far.

I would think that OB would need to gain a lot more muscle weight to be a strong NBA player, in addition to improving his shooting. Grant's athleticism is off the charts, but I see Brissett as more of a fighter in the paint. If he can muscle himself up, he should be able to make a bunch more put-backs.

Last edited:
jerami is the best syracuse alum in the association right now. and it isn't remotely close.

it's also a low bar, but whatever

And the minute he’s healthy and puts his Miami Heat uniform on, Waiters will snatch that mantle.

Grant is significantly more athletic, and bigger. And a legit defender for a team that requires that role from its 5th-7th man.

It's truly amazing how bad a finisher at the rim OB is.

Soft at the rim and content on being a finesse player. He needs to go up strong and dunk the ball.

And speaking of Grant...with Carmelo getting near the end and in limbo and Waiters still out with a major injury, Grant is currently the best NBA player from Syracuse.

We need some more guys. I don’t see any on the horizon at the moment, and none of our recent guys drafted seem to be making it so far.

For having 10 years of a row first round picks or something crazy like that, it's insane that Wes Johnson and Jeremi Grant are the two best players in the league representing the Cuse right now.