Is Red our next HC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is Red our next HC

"Mullin is struggling at SJC."

handed us a 93-60 home loss.if you wanna knock a coach try not to pick one who kicked our a$$ recently.

Other than against SU, how is Mullin doing? Hint: There are other teams on the SJC schedule. (Am I going to fast for you?)

I can't wait until Hop plays high pressure man to man at Washington and wins 20 within two years and everyone wants him back to replace JB. It's bound to go that way.

That way you're ideas about what SU's style of play should be would be confirmed?

Of course, this is a fantasy. Hopkins will play a lot of zone at UW and may even transition to 100% zone, (See his comments at the UW intro press conference on his plans. "The Zone is a weapon".)

Please ask Wildhack when you guys are having dinner later why he has this sourness toward Gerry.

That makes zero sense. Do you have a sourness towards Autry since you assume the less experienced, younger, less accomplished coach would get the head job over him?

Someone thinking the young, number 2 assistant(just moved up from number 3) isn't going to get the SU head coaching job in the next few years is not sourness.

Other than against SU, how is Mullin doing? Hint: There are other teams on the SJC schedule. (Am I going to fast for you?)

hey if that makes you feel better when you finally wake up and try to crawl off the canvas to your corner.
"we're the better team. it was a lucky punch...lucky punch i tell ya... where am i and what day is it again ?"

That makes zero sense. Do you have a sourness towards Autry since you assume the less experienced, younger, less accomplished coach would get the head job over him?

Someone thinking the young, number 2 assistant(just moved up from number 3) isn't going to get the SU head coaching job in the next few years is not sourness.
It has nothing to do with Autry who I love as a coach. From his senior day on, I envisioned Gerry McNamara as the future head coach of Syracuse. He is synonymous with this place second only to Boeheim. I have no inside info. You can pick that apart as you like. I only push it when people spew venom about him being some golden child who hasn't earned anything. I would be fine with Adrian Autry being given the chance. I just believe that someday it will be Gerry.

That way you're ideas about what SU's style of play should be would be confirmed?

Of course, this is a fantasy. Hopkins will play a lot of zone at UW and may even transition to 100% zone, (See his comments at the UW intro press conference on his plans. "The Zone is a weapon".)

Not a chance, imo. He said he doesn't like being predictable. 100% zone is the definition of predictable.

It has nothing to do with Autry who I love as a coach. From his senior day on, I envisioned Gerry McNamara as the future head coach of Syracuse. He is synonymous with this place second only to Boeheim. I have no inside info. You can pick that apart as you like. I only push it when people spew venom about him being some golden child who hasn't earned anything. I would be fine with Adrian Autry being given the chance. I just believe that someday it will be Gerry.
Your opinion is your opinion but Gerry McNamara isn't one of the top 5 most important players of JB's tenure.
Carmelo Anthony
Roosevelt Bouie
Louis Orr
Pearl Washington
Sherman Douglas
Ronny Seikaly
Derrick Coleman
Billy Owens
Laurence Moten
John Wallace

If we are talking the modern era the last 15 years fans nationwide wouldn't put GMac first behind Boeheim.
All have done more for Syracuse and more synonymous with Syracuse basketball than Gerry McNamara. Put him second though and call me a hater because I think we can do better than Gerry McNamara as the next HC.

Last edited:
Sorry, but this is just silly. In 2019, Hop would've had a full offseason to implement his D (i.e. M2M) & Offensive schemes. In no way would that have been the "same exact circumstances" as his 9-game stint carrying out JB's schemes last season.

Did Hop have the freedom to switch to M2M at any time during those 9 games? I think not. He was the equivalent of a substitute teacher following the lesson plan left for them.

So losing was better than trying to win when down a dozen points at halftime? His job was to win the game. Once you fall behind you need to try whatever it takes to win. Even JB will go to a press to get back into games (which is the only reason why we got to the Final Four that year). It is idiotic if you think he was just there to baby sit.

Are you serious? If so what have you seen from GMac that tells you he is qualified to be a HC.
Nevermind an elite P5 job without HC experience.

I mean your statements about GMac being the next HC honestly are hilarious. Wildhack doesn't have sourness towards GMac he was the guy most instrumental in keeping GMac from going to Washington.

It's honestly funny you think the guy would get the keys to the palace.

What has GMac proven to be the next SU HC. Thank you for laughs as I go into Palm Sunday service.

He is my favorite player and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside so he is perfect to be our next HC.

It just seems like that's based on nothing.

And I'm with you on the people who seem to go out of their way to knock GMac. It's weird.

But I don't see any reason that he's the next SU coach at this point. He's not Hopkins...a guy that was here for a long time before the head coach talk started and a guy that was regarded nationally as one of the best recruiters and top assistants in the country.

So losing was better than trying to win when down a dozen points at halftime? His job was to win the game. Once you fall behind you need to try whatever it takes to win. Even JB will go to a press to get back into games (which is the only reason why we got to the Final Four that year). It is idiotic if you think he was just there to baby sit.

It's idiotic if you think coaching the team for 9 games is the same thing as being the new head coach of the program.

You're changing the argument. I literally never said any of this.

You said that Hop taking over for the 9 game stretch was "the exact same circumstances" as it would've been if he was head coach going into the 2019 season. It's not, you know it's not, & are simply trying to save face.

I can't wait for the I hope Washington loses posts by the anti Hop people next winter.

Before you light the torch think about it. Why would Griff or any good assistant take the SU job knowing that in all likelihood JB is done in three years or less. Why wouldn't GMac have followed Hop?
Could we have a new yet silent coach in waiting?

Absolutlely not. No way.

You
Lol thanks for telling me what I am. This is the problem with debate people can't take opinions they disagree with and instead change reality/facts when they disagree.

I am not anti Mike Hopkins. My god go back to your takes that the PAC-12 sucks and ignore Oregon going to the Final Four.
What a joke. Posts like this are why politics today and debate are dead.
No substance and just lack any reason to debate.

Newsflash having a debate on a guy as a HC doesn't make somebody anti. It's called having an opinion.
Just like ignorantly thinking one conference is trash because somebody doesn't take the time to watch it and given evidence to the contrary and Doubling down on ignorant opinions.

hey if that makes you feel better when you finally wake up and try to crawl off the canvas to your corner.
"we're the better team. it was a lucky punch...lucky punch i tell ya... where am i and what day is it again ?"

Saint John's has been generally awful under Mullin. That's the point of this conversation and not that they beat SU. The thread is about "coaches".

Try and keep up.

Not a chance, imo. He said he doesn't like being predictable. 100% zone is the definition of predictable.

How is the zone any more predictable that M2M?

M2M is the defense teams see almost every game and in practice. It's almost certainly the one they play themselves. And it's the one they grew up playing against in the playground and in youth leagues and high school.

You should take the time to listen to what he actually said. Or maybe listen a little harder.

Not sure anybody really is anti-Hop. There were people who didn't want him as the next HC.
Next year Washington is going to struggle so I hope nobody says anything next year.
His team has been gutted.

I wasn't speaking toward you, but some of the people who claim Hop was coaching the way he would coach...

M2M is the defense teams see almost every game and in practice. It's almost certainly the one they play themselves. And it's the one they grew up playing against in the playground and in youth leagues and high school.

You should take the time to listen to what he actually said. Or maybe listen a little harder.

He said he was going to mix defenses. You cherry picked "the zone is a weapon" out of his presser.

Sign me up for Red right now, if GMac is the other option. I love Red, and think he actually could do well. Of course, we should look at all options. Just don't think GMac should be one. His nice spot on the bench is already too much for me, but I'll shut up.

JB is in charge for a few more, or as long as he wants to, which is fine with me. We will put together a solid team next year, and compete. Realistically, we all know that next year probably isn't the year to win another. Time to build for the future. Which we are doing, though not as well as many would like. GMac as HC isn't going to...never mind. I said I'd let it go.

I love our recruits coming in, and hopeful for Tucker, Ayala, and/or Duarte this coming season. We shall see. Always a surprise or two as well.

The guys we have, and the guys coming in are what builds success. I hope I make it two, or three seasons to see it. This upcoming season is just the start of a different chapter. We will be alright. The young guys could even surprise, and give us fans a fun journey. Battle, TT, and PC back. Frank has potential, and the drive to succeed in my eyes. Moyer, Oshae, HW, Sidibe. All is well. Again we have a 1st rounder on the team.

Went on a tangent there. My bad.

You should listen harder. He said he would play multiple defenses. Hence, the "not predictable" descriptor by Hop.

Your opinion is your opinion but Gerry McNamara isn't one of the top 5 most important players of JB's tenure.
Carmelo Anthony
Roosevelt Bouie
Louis Orr
Pearl Washington
Sherman Douglas
Ronny Seikaly
Derrick Coleman
Billy Owens
Laurence Moten
John Wallace

If we are talking the modern era the last 15 years fans nationwide wouldn't put GMac first behind Boeheim.
All have done more for Syracuse and more synonymous with Syracuse basketball than Gerry McNamara. Put him second though and call me a hater because I think we can do better than Gerry McNamara as the next HC.

He was pretty darned important in New Orleans.

The sets on offense and defense are JB's, the plays we run are JB's, the players are the guys JB had final signoff on.

Mike had control of the timeouts and sub patterns to a point.

The shame of this whole thing is we lose a Syracuse guy who spent a decade preparing for the job to a guy, whoever it is, spending 72 hours negotiating a contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom