Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Due to a likely drafting error in his contract, Sean Miller is due $10 million + (85% of the remainder of his contract) even if he is terminated for cause.

I don't think this is the NBA's problem to fix, and even if it is, it would require pretty big adjustments to the CBA. I don't see the owners giving up "leverage" to solve this problem for college hoops since they'd need to give something to the players in exchange.

The NCAA needs to fix this for themselves, and let's not kid ourselves, this isn't exclusively a men's basketball problem.
I'm not sure how the NBA would be giving up leverage by getting dibs on the players out of high school via an amateur draft, a la baseball. If they draft a player and they choose not to sign but to go to college. The team that drafted owns the rights to that player for three years.

Due to a likely drafting error in his contract, Sean Miller is due $10 million + (85% of the remainder of his contract) even if he is terminated for cause.

State school in a state with warm weather and a fiscal surplus. I don’t feel bad for them.

Miller not coaching tonight.

Ayton is playing.

Congrats to Thamel and Forde on breaking this story, but if they think they’re going to get info from college athletic departments going forward I’ve got a bridge to sell them.

Don't get how that works. How can Miller be ineligible but Ayton eligible?
The only thing I can think is they know they are going to get destroyed and might as well make one last run before it’s blown up. They can’t stand by Miller because of the audio but if there is no proof of the money yet they can buy another month and a half

so all the schools letting the guys in question play... again, seems like some behind-the-scenes unified decisions going on

no real down-side, morals aside. they are clearly better with the guys playing, so either lose now, or have the ncaa force their hand and vacate later... ethically the choice is obvious, but if these programs are corrupt already, this isn't a shocker.

The only thing I can think is they know they are going to get destroyed and might as well make one last run before it’s blown up. They can’t stand by Miller because of the audio but if there is no proof of the money yet they can buy another month and a half

Miller has committed a major violation by offering him $100K. (there is proof of that)

There is no proof that Ayton received the $100,000. The FBI isn't going to go look for it unless there was a crime involved, and the NCAA has no jurisdiction to access bank accounts. The FBI files unveiled many things, but not all of it is criminal either.

So I think Arizona is thinking the NCAA can't do anything about Ayton.

no real down-side, morals aside. they are clearly better with the guys playing, so either lose now, or have the ncaa force their hand and vacate later... ethically the choice is obvious, but if these programs are corrupt already, this isn't a shocker.

They have to prove Ayton did something wrong. As far as I know being offered money is not a violation.

They have to prove Ayton did something wrong. As far as I know being offered money is not a violation.
Isn't there a balance sheet floating around in that Thamel report showing payments, etc? That should be proof, no?

Miller has committed a major violation by offering him $100K. (there is proof of that)

There is no proof that Ayton received the $100,000. The FBI isn't going to go look for it unless there was a crime involved, and the NCAA has no jurisdiction to access bank accounts. The FBI files unveiled many things, but not all of it is criminal either.

So I think Arizona is thinking the NCAA can't do anything about Ayton.

If there was no crime involved then why is the FBI involved?

Also , if Arizona self imposes a post season ban within the next week or two , they may not care if this (these) games get vacated.

Isn't there a balance sheet floating around in that Thamel report showing payments, etc? That should be proof, no?

This was a different thing. This comes from Sean Miller being caught on a wiretap in the FBI probe (while they were investigating the wire fraud and other crap) and Miller offered Ayton $100,000.

We all know Ayton probably took it, but how will the NCAA be able to prove it. The NCAA is a joke, but there is a reason the FBI can find stuff that they can't. The NCAA can't snoop around in people's financial records or tap people.

I guess the NCAA is clearing these players.
Where does it say the ncaa cleared them ? I’m not arguing , I’m asking. Earlier they said it was up to the school. Maybe just the school itself conducted the review and didn’t “find anything “. I have no idea.

Where does it say the ncaa cleared them ? I’m not arguing , I’m asking. Earlier they said it was up to the school. Maybe just the school itself conducted the review and didn’t “find anything “. I have no idea.
Maybe the screen grab in the tweet was blocked? I copied it again below. I took it to mean the NCAA cleared him for competition. Maybe they are being literal and just presented the info to the NCAA and walked away without waiting for a response?

upload_2018-2-24_16-53-34.png

Also , if Arizona self imposes a post season ban within the next week or two , they may not care if this (these) games get vacated.

They will probably get dinged, but I would think it's an after season violation.

Typically, you vacate wins IF an ineligible player was in the game. Is there a similar concept for an ineligible coach? They will get punished for Miller later on, but until you prove they had ineligible players I don't know if there is a principle for vacating wins.

Speaking of Shaq I hope Syracuse is among the schools that will reach out to his son Shareef O’Neal who is a Arizona commit and signee for next year.

We could use a big and Shaq likes Syracuse.
Hope we put a feeler at least.

probably didn't get anything cause he doesn't need it, but what if he did?