Is this our actual ceiling for the season? | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Is this our actual ceiling for the season?

I prefer Griffin on the back line for the main reason that he's ours best shot blocker.
He also has a negative Asst/TO ration and I did not realize that until I checked the stats this morning. He’s a really talented player that seems to have some issues with overall awareness on both sides of the ball.

A LOT of our SF's over the years have a minus A/TO ratio.
It's not at all uncommon (for non-Eli SF's)

OSB 61/69
OSB 31/69
Uncle Drew 38/56
Mali 77/79 (a wash - but he was really a 2G)
(Silent G - another exception, like Eli)

CJ 43/85
CJ 29/63
KrisJo 56/55 (a wash)
KrisJo 74/73 (ditto)
Wes 78/81 (ditto)

So, you can see, a positive A/TO ratio for a SF is actually not very common.
Guys like Eli and Silent G, who acted as defacto point-forwards (and G was the actual PG as a Sr.) are the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

Why JG3 sits while Buddy plays, why JG3 and KR don't play more together is pretty simple. JG3 only has an outside game. Yes, he is better shooting off ball,and should be given limited minutes in some games to showcase that, but whenever he tries to drive to the basket it is an automatic turnover.Last couple games, I have noticed he tries to do what Buddy does, try for a short range pull up jumper. Provided he doesn't get to deep in, he can be successful, however he penetrates to far and is swallowed up by defenders. Buddy's height really helps him here. Also defensively, you are pulling a taller guy off of the shooter, giving the shooter a much better look, especially in a zone defense. In "short", he JG3 is a couple inches shy of replacing Buddy with meaningful minutes at the two.

My recollection of the Virginia game is that they were unbothered by Kadary’s D. They still got open looks from 3 and seemed to continue to get the ball to the high post at will. Against other teams, Kadary’s defense has been noticeably better than the white guys, but against UVA I didn’t see the defense improve at all with him out there. Defensive lapses happen, so one play isn’t indicative of much, but I do remember one specific occasion when he was overly aggressive defending a penetrating guard and allowed for an easy kick out to a wide open shooter. Which of course is not to say Joe and Buddy don’t have similar screw ups.
Right - by the time Kadary came in, Virginia was already cooking.

I'm saying - let's make it harder for them to get cooking at the start.

Man, I hear what you are saying and just don't see it. Buddy is by far the most likely player to stop an offensive set with him receiving a pass, then slowly looking around the court for a pass, then maybe taking a dribble or two, then stopping again, and finally giving the ball back to Joe. He'd be so more well served making a good quick decision, moving the ball, or attacking immediately. He allows the defense to reset nearly every time he isn't shooting.

But, after looking at the stats, you're right, AG's TOs per game are much higher.

I share this sentiment as well. As Devo stated in one of his tweets last night, Kadary constantly puts pressure on the D due to his size and ability to penetrate 'effectively.' In that regard, it's really night and day from my perspective when he is on the floor as neither Buddy nor Joe can penetrate effectively, at least not consistently as Kadary. Our O seems to be more fluid, as he runs the O as a true PG should/needs to, especially at this level.

On D, I couldn't disagree more with Brooklyn in regards to where our D breaks down first. In my opinion, it all starts at the top of the zone. And, when Buddy & Joe are there, our opponents PG's/guards continuously beat them off the dribble...and at that precise point something has to give, and more times than not it does. When Kadary's in, it changes completely. Not only is he quicker a foot, his length and athleticism causes considerably more havoc, as opponents have a much more difficult time getting by him, and he disrupts the passing lanes far more.

I also think AG would be fine as a 2, at least at times. And, his D up there (again due to his superior athleticism over Buddy's, etc.) would be much better. It's quite apparent that the only reason AG seldom if ever plays there is because Buddy can't play the 3.

Last edited:
#1.Coach is right about playing the third forward.

People forget Braswell and Eddie were projects. They need to play like they are saving the world instead of under a microscope. The reason is, they have no HS foundation to fall back on. Let them make 3 or 4 mistakes, and yell at them for hustle instead of those mistakes. Teach those mistakes gently.

Woody however does, and Ajax is better than advertised, He's the second/third best ground coverer on this team. Try him in the middle of a fallback 1-3-1 box and one hybrid with Marek behind him.

The other two guards are 15 PER guys. In a minuscule sample size in a fudged up season their PER is lower. Kadary’s is higher in the same minuscule sample size. Is he a 21 PER guy? Maybe, but probably not.

They’re close. He’s a freshman. He’s going to play behind them. If he gets in the game and makes things happen, he plays more. If he doesn’t, he plays less.

Update: a month later. Only 6 games left.

Kadary’s PER holding steady at 20.3.

Girard is at 13.6.

Buddy is at 13.

It’s still not close.

Neat

It is very neat that we finally landed a big time PG, who has been one of the best players on the team all year. Bodes well for us becoming a good program again over the next couple years.

It is very neat that we finally landed a big time PG, who has been one of the best players on the team all year. Bodes well for us becoming a good program again over the next couple years.

Agreed. I’ve liked him from day 1.

Too bad JB refuses to play him appropriate minutes.

Too bad JB refuses to play him appropriate minutes.
It’s sad we have to be grateful that Kadary got 25 minutes yesterday.

When JB supposedly plays the best players the most minutes.

we should have joined the MID ATLANTIC CONFERENCE . since our coach seems happy finishing in the middle of the ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE. you are what your record says. MIDDLE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom