Class of 2014 - Isaiah Whitehead | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Isaiah Whitehead

It's his timetable not anybody elses. Good for the kid. He'll get a free ride to some school, get to play college basketball and if he wants to, get an education

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I don't disagree with this, and if he was my kid, I'd have the same perspective. But as a fan? Haha, it's a lot harder.

It doesn't seem like Joseph and Whitehead are being treated interchangeably...staff wants both. Who are the "fall backs" if these two go elsewhere (worst case scenario)? Seems like a lot of the other targets are moving on (Terrell, Pickens, Booth).

Little annoying he's not narrowing his list down until his senior year is about the start, but its how he wants to do it. I think Joseph is the guy we NEED, Whitehead is the guy we WANT in addition to put us over the top.

Meyer switched his "Crystal Ball" for Whitehead back to Syracuse (from Minnesota). My "Crystal Ball" tells me he will switch it again soon. FLIP-FLOPPER.

Telep on Whitehead's July:

The evolution of Isaiah Whitehead

"Dave, he's on a rampage," an assistant coach told me. "He's changed."
ESPN 100 shooting guard Isaiah Whitehead (Brooklyn, N.Y./Lincoln) of the Juice All-Stars was the player the college coach was referring to. The "change" was a departure from the star player who was prone to emotional outbursts, disinterest on defense and a shot selection defined by the ultimate green light. For a stretch of time until late spring, despite an abundance of talent, Whitehead was a challenging watch.

But having seen him this summer, there's a clear pivot in his approach. It's a major credit to him. He's been more buttoned up and his game seems to be headed in a direction commiserate with his talent.

There might not be five guards in the 2014 class with Whitehead's offensive game. One on one, get out of his way. The assistant coach compared him to Ben Gordon, and that makes sense. Personally, it's neat to watch a young man make these types of strides. The respect level goes way up, and I'm positive it will have long-lasting implications on his career.

UConn's entire staff watched him in Vegas, while Seton Hall's Kevin Willard was also there and Syracuse had a staffer at his final game of the summer.

It doesn't seem like Joseph and Whitehead are being treated interchangeably...staff wants both. Who are the "fall backs" if these two go elsewhere (worst case scenario)? Seems like a lot of the other targets are moving on (Terrell, Pickens, Booth).

Totally agree. And why not? WH is a 2, a volume scorer not a set-up man. KJ is a pass-first PG. KJ can come right in and get minutes backing up the Creator. And WH is a scoring machine ... not sure he'll be worried about anyone on the current roster, unless MG explodes. Even then, I think MG will be a junior next year (transfer), and WH could play bench hero ala our boy Dion.

Totally agree. And why not? WH is a 2, a volume scorer not a set-up man. KJ is a pass-first PG. KJ can come right in and get minutes backing up the Creator. And WH is a scoring machine ... not sure he'll be worried about anyone on the current roster, unless MG explodes. Even then, I think MG will be a junior next year (transfer), and WH could play bench hero ala our boy Dion.

I really don't think KJ is a pure pass first PG at all. I actually think he is a little more scorer right now, but could easily handle pg duties if need be.

All hell is breaking loose over there. Even the gopher insiders are flip flopping lol.

comedy at it's finest. i remember when Meyer sent out the tweet saying he was going with the Gophers after that 1, yes 1 stupid statement he and Newton made. Really Jerry that's what your basing your rep on?

comedy at it's finest. i remember when Meyer sent out the tweet saying he was going with the Gophers after that 1, yes 1 stupid statement he and Newton made. Really Jerry that's what your basing your rep on?
Lol poor Jerry. snoop.png

I really don't think KJ is a pure pass first PG at all. I actually think he is a little more scorer right now, but could easily handle pg duties if need be.

I haven't seen him play personally ... going by the thread's set-up quote from Jake:

Saw on twitter we recently offered. Pass first PG. Really really like what I see. Duke also on him. New Hampshire kid.

A tad flashy, great vision, decent shot for a PG. if you watch him on YouTube, you'll see he has what I call the "Pearl crossover"- its a one handed crossover. Never thought I'd ever see a kid with that move again.

Sure they can both score. But (my understanding) WH is primarily a volume scorer and KJ is primarily a passer/playmaker. Francis and Tee can weigh in here since they've seen both in person, but I don't imagine that their skill-sets are so overlapping that it's 'one or the other'.

I haven't seen him play personally ... going by the thread's set-up quote from Jake:

Saw on twitter we recently offered. Pass first PG. Really really like what I see. Duke also on him. New Hampshire kid.

A tad flashy, great vision, decent shot for a PG. if you watch him on YouTube, you'll see he has what I call the "Pearl crossover"- its a one handed crossover. Never thought I'd ever see a kid with that move again.

Sure they can both score. But (my understanding) WH is primarily a volume scorer and KJ is primarily a passer/playmaker. Francis and Tee can weigh in here since they've seen both in person, but I don't imagine that their skill-sets are so overlapping that it's 'one or the other'.
A one handed crossover? Is that a thing? I'd love an explanation... I wonder if it's an "in and out"

You've got the right way of it. KJ is a distributor, first and foremost. Yes he can score and you have to remember, these clips are always going to show more of scoring, even for point guards. The only time you see a pass first video is if they're specifically trying to concentrate on the player's passing ability by showing no-looks, behind the backs, etc. All for effect.

I watched KJ's HS team twice last season. He plays in a structured system, where ball movement is a must and he did a good job handling PG responsibilities and getting others involved. He also took advantages to score whenever the opportunity came for him to create for himself. On his AAU team this spring/summer, it seems like he has more freedom to do his own thing and looks to score more than usual. From reading various reports on his play this month, the reviews were very mixed. Some liked his aggression and play making abilities on both ends of the floor, while others questioned if he was really a pure PG or more of a 2 playing the 1. Having seen him play in a more structured environment than AAU, I can definitely say that he's a PG and will do a solid job of running the point wherever he ends up at.

A one handed crossover? Is that a thing? I'd love an explanation... I wonder if it's an "in and out"

I haven't seen it. But if Jake says it's the first legit one-handed X-over since Pearl, that's good enough for me. Pearl was the best ball handler 1 on 1 I've ever seen in an Orange uniform.

I watched KJ's HS team twice last season. He plays in a structured system, where ball movement is a must and he did a good job handling PG responsibilities and getting others involved. He also took advantages to score whenever the opportunity came for him to create for himself. On his AAU team this spring/summer, it seems like he has more freedom to do his own thing and looks to score more than usual. From reading various reports on his play this month, the reviews were very mixed. Some liked his aggression and play making abilities on both ends of the floor, while others questioned if he was really a pure PG or more of a 2 playing the 1. Having seen him play in a more structured environment than AAU, I can definitely say that he's a PG and will do a solid job of running the point wherever he ends up at.

sign me up for that. How great is that, your PG is so good some people think he is more of a pure scorer. If we can somehow land both KJ and IW JB may never retire.

Ok... it would require getting Whitehead and Joseph or Newton and no early departures and Grant, DC2, Rak, MikeG, even Ennis COULD all blow up and leave BUT... that's all possible and that would make possibly the deepest team ever in 14. Imagine starters Ennis, MikeG, McCullough, DC2, Grant... 2nd Joseph, Whitehead, BJ, Rak, Roberson, 3rd... friggin THIRD, Cooney, Buss, Obokoh. Holy crap. That 2nd team is a top 15 team. And the 3rd guys could start anywhere.

Ok... it would require getting Whitehead and Joseph or Newton and no early departures and Grant, DC2, Rak, MikeG, even Ennis COULD all blow up and leave BUT... that's all possible and that would make possibly the deepest team ever in 14. Imagine starters Ennis, MikeG, McCullough, DC2, Grant... 2nd Joseph, Whitehead, BJ, Rak, Roberson, 3rd... friggin THIRD, Cooney, Buss, Obokoh. Holy crap. That 2nd team is a top 15 team. And the 3rd guys could start anywhere.

Like you said, so so early... But my god it would be fun to have.

Just for kicks add in a Richardson, Diallo and Bryant in 2015 and subtract Grant, Ennis and MG. still giddy-diculous and yes that's a new word to describe how I would feel about that 2 yearrun

I haven't seen it. But if Jake says it's the first legit one-handed X-over since Pearl, that's good enough for me. Pearl was the best ball handler 1 on 1 I've ever seen in an Orange uniform.
Word!

Has to bring Whitehead back into the mix for the Cardinals.
Not necessarily imo. They're bringing in two highly regarded guards this season and neither projects as an one n done. With Ware making his way back from injury and Lyle already in the fold, minutes look like it'll be tough to get for anymore additions. Snider probably figured that he was better off going elsewhere if he didn't want to warm up the bench next season. I'm sure Whitehead is looking for an easier path as well, which will most likely keep the Cards off his list.

Not necessarily imo. They're bringing in two highly regarded guards this season and neither projects as an one n done. With Ware making his way back from injury and Lyle already in the fold, minutes look like it'll be tough to get for anymore additions. Snider probably figured that he was better off going elsewhere if he didn't want to warm up the bench next season. I'm sure Whitehead is looking for an easier path as well, which will most likely keep the Cards off his list.

Yes and apparently they have their eyes on Australian Dante Exum.
http://www.cardchronicle.com/2013/7/31/4576624/more-reaction-to-quentin-sniders-decommitment

Watch from the 4:30 mark on. He was a once and a lifetime player.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qqt2HEbAGO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And then there is this video about the history and development of the "Crossover" which features Pearl
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ossover-genealogy-of-a-vicious-move.html?_r=0
Oh, boy. How many times did Ewing look for a rebound that never happened in this clip?
Ahahahahaha, just a silly silly handle. Effortless dribbling with either hand, around the back, between the legs, cross-over. Didn't matter. Made the defender look like a yutz once they committed too early, then blew by the guy.

Word!

I remember watching him announce... Al McGuire was interviewing him. He could have gone to just about any school in the country, but it was down to 2 (St Johns was the other, I think). When he said, Syracuse, I almost fell over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom