It’s Portal time! | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Fatts was way better as a complimentary player. He was wildly inefficient last year

With all these kids in the portal and many more to come, some teams with multiple players, I’m betting when SU has a couple, people will act like it’s just a JB thing and the end of the world.
Because its portal time for us every year.

With all these kids in the portal and many more to come, some teams with multiple players, I’m betting when SU has a couple, people will act like it’s just a JB thing and the end of the world.
I think you're right... because that's exactly what happened last year when Brycen, Jalen and HoWash all entered the portal.

Jalen Carey might be featured next year? He should have 2 more years of eligibility.
There would certainly appear to be an opportunity for Jalen to play more next year if Fatts Russell leaves. But the statistics he posted this past season don't really appear to point to a player who is ready to become a 'featured guy'.

This year for Rhode Island, Jalen played 16 mpg in 23 games (3 starts) and averaged 4.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg and 0.6 apg. He did not make a single 3-point basket over the course of the year (he was 0-7 from 3-pt range on the season) and his assist-to-turnover ratio was terrible (13 assists vs 43 turnovers, for a 0.3:1 ratio). Jalen shot 42.7% from the floor on the season, and was 57.1% at the FT line (16-for-28 on the year).

I don't know that there's really much of a future in D-1 for a guard who can't shoot all that well, doesn't get to the FT line with much frequency, and is not a playmaker. I'll continue to root for him, but I think he has a lot of work ahead of him in order to be the player many people thought he could be coming out of high school.

There would certainly appear to be an opportunity for Jalen to play more next year if Fatts Russell leaves. But the statistics he posted this past season don't really appear to point to a player who is ready to become a 'featured guy'.

This year for Rhode Island, Jalen played 16 mpg in 23 games (3 starts) and averaged 4.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg and 0.6 apg. He did not make a single 3-point basket over the course of the year (he was 0-7 from 3-pt range on the season) and his assist-to-turnover ratio was terrible (13 assists vs 43 turnovers, for a 0.3:1 ratio). Jalen shot 42.7% from the floor on the season, and was 57.1% at the FT line (16-for-28 on the year).

I don't know that there's really much of a future in D-1 for a guard who can't shoot all that well, doesn't get to the FT line with much frequency, and is not a playmaker. I'll continue to root for him, but I think he has a lot of work ahead of him in order to be the player many people thought he could be coming out of high school.
But he wasn't given a fair shot here!!!!!

I cant imagine them bringing in a guard other then for depth purposes unless they find some under the radar kid that ends up being out of this world good in practices that they can't keep off the court. (Doubtful) but who knows with the way the transfers are going...could get wild! I think they will ride with what we have and find some depth. I wouldn't mind if they took a look at Kidtrell Blocker originally from Rochester. 6'5 and can score. Wouldnt be as difficult a sell to convince him to come and would be all upside if he plays early while still focusing on the 22 class and not scaring off the likes of JT.
well a 4th gaurd is necessary...

I really think the defense at the top f the is such a big key for this team and aside from kadary it is a weak link...

I figure they wont recruit over who is already there (long as they stay)...but another kadary type defending gaurd (who can also play offense) would be hige for the rotation.

That many? With 300 D1 schools 1500 players can put a starting five on every school.

they said it was 900 last year. One guy estimated 2000 the other 1500.

That many? With 300 D1 schools 1500 players can put a starting five on every school.
There's 13+ roster spots and and a bunch of seniors are getting an extra year of eligibility with a whole bunch of HS seniors coming in as freshmen.

There's going to be a not insignificant number of players without a chair when the music stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom