It’s Portal time! | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Two different things. The loss of Sidibe really hurt us this year. I don't want the loss of Sidibe to hurt us next year as well. We can't have one of our young big's bolt because Sidibe wants to come back (not saying that would happen) and have Sidibe unable to play again next year. if we can do the kid a solid and have him come back and geta grad degree, wonderful. If he can play, great. But we can't have him come back and 1. depend on him and 2 cause one of our young guys leave because of it.
Dont forget Jimmy

If Guerrier and Woody both leave, then I'd be fine having Marek back to play the 4.

But I agree -- I don't want him occupying the 5 for another entire season, because it limits the ceiling defensively.

Yep, my comment was in relation to Marek playing the 5. Issue is, if he is here I fear / am convinced JB would play him at the 5. And that would maybe push Jesse and/or Woody to leave. Both of those guys can help us for seasons to come.

My ideal lineup would have Benny/Q at the forwards backed up by Woody, Kadary/Buddy, backed up by Joe (+ emergency 4th guard), and Jesse/Frank with JBA as the third C. Normal times, that would be very realistic, but who knows now, with easing of transfer rules.

Why would Quincy leave? Just because he's old?

If so, then why do we recruit this many players who are leaving after their sophomore year just to play in the G-League/Overseas?

How is this still a conversation about why kids leave? People realize there's more options then just the NBA and that there's decent money involved. Some kids value education more then others and some want to get a jump start on making some real money for themselves and their familes...it's such a odd discussion thats regurgitated constantly around here. The whole stay in college another year to get "better" is also a bad take...kids work on their basketball skills far more in a pro setting (yes even the G league) then they do while being a college student and limited to the amount of time they get to practice.

With all his knee issues, no one is planning to rely on Bourama next season. Jesse could at least split time w/ him if he’s somehow healthy. And I assume Marek isn’t coming back, but I guess you never know.

No, are YOU kidding? JB and the program has a 40 year track record of developing all American centers—from Rosie Bouie and Rony Seikaly to Conrad McCrae, Otis Hill, Etan Thomas, Arinze Onuaku, Rick Jackson, Feb Melo, Rak Christmas, etc. Who you gonna trust? A 40-year track record of coaching and development (and putting guys in the pros) or some mid-major charlatan who just got a P5 job and is making a lot of empty promises with no track record? Our assistants need to beat back the negative recruiting and go on the offensive. The old ways of running above the fray don’t work anymore, apparently.
Those names... Those guys were excellent players for us. For us. 'Us' is a bubble, in which only we live. Those names don't mean much—if anything—to a recruit. Any other program that can reasonably expect to be able to compete for the services of a talented big man recruit or transfer can list its own similar players—guys who were essential components of college teams. But, who didn't make marks in the NBA. NBA prominence is the key.

Secondly, saying our coach/staff "developed" those guys is not a demonstrable claim. Development, at some pace and level, should always be assumed. Some of those guys came into our program high-regarded, having done things and shown tools before we got them, and then they subsequently took a step back within our program before coming back to re-establish those skills.

"Who you gonna trust?" You can't make that statement as an objective witness without also naming those who 'failed,' those who transferred, those who disappointed in their "development."

And then there's the 'conversion' factor. A guy like Bourama, a guy like JBA, a guy like Marek—this is just in the past few years... They come in as skinny finesse forwards, and then get pressed into duty as centers in the best conference in the country. If you're a center prospect, why would you want to join a program that leapfrogs you with illprepared, unsuitable forwards, while squelching your own development and 'display' time? If you're a 4, why would you join a program that will take the jumper out of your hands and make you bang with 5s, while giving you only an—ostensibly—'in name only' Strength and Conditioning Program, so you get battered and your knees fail you...

And then there's the Zone Blame Game. A defense that doesn't prepare you for the next level (that's like a Computer Science guy going to college to study Fortran... you might become a great coder despite your college experience, but come on), and blames you for the failure of others because... the ball moves faster than the man, and there are pets on the team who don't have the same accountability.

Phew.

So this may be unpopular but I would much rather have Marek move on. In a perfect world Woody would stay and slot the 4 or 3 if Guerrier returns. As four board insiders have indicated they are hearing Woody is not coming back though, I would rather go transfer at that point. While Mareks 10/5/3 line is respectable, I am just ready to see a larger and more physical 4 on this team. The 4 and 5 on our team is anemic on the rebounding and while I get Marek gave us hustle, occasionally some deft passing and charge calls, I am ready for a PF who looks and plays the part of rebounder and banger. Same goes for the 5 spot. I hope Sid retires. Health is way more important than playing a game. Keep Jesse but also ready for a center that weighs more than 210 pounds.

So this may be unpopular but I would much rather have Marek move on. In a perfect world Woody would stay and slot the 4 or 3 if Guerrier returns. As four board insiders have indicated they are hearing Woody is not coming back though, I would rather go transfer at that point. While Mareks 10/5/3 line is respectable, I am just ready to see a larger and more physical 4 on this team. The 4 and 5 on our team is anemic on the rebounding and while I get Marek gave us hustle, occasionally some deft passing and charge calls, I am ready for a PF who looks and plays the part of rebounder and banger. Same goes for the 5 spot. I hope Sid retires. Health is way more important than playing a game. Keep Jesse but also ready for a center that weighs more than 210 pounds.
Nah man, I am with you. I love Marek, but it is time we got someone that can give as much as he takes.

I will say this, everyone wants to add a transfer and they think it will solidify the team. The last player that came to Syracuse via transfer and made an immediate impact was Wes Johnson. Every single other player has taken time to develop, time to learn the zone, time to crack the lineup. It’s no guarantee that the next transfer that comes is what puts us over the top.

I will say this, everyone wants to add a transfer and they think it will solidify the team. The last player that came to Syracuse via transfer and made an immediate impact was Wes Johnson. Every single other player has taken time to develop, time to learn the zone, time to crack the lineup. It’s no guarantee that the next transfer that comes is what puts us over the top.
We've had a ton of transfers play significant minutes.

I think you are overstating the difficult with which transfers have contributed over the last decade. Sure, they can't all be Wes Johnson...but he was a lottery pick.

Plus, Wes had a redshirt year.

Because they play significant minutes does not mean they added to the quality of the team. We have had more transfers the last 7 years then I can remember. I basically remember Blackwell and Wes Johnson prior to the ACC. And these have been Jimmy’s worst 7 consecutive years record wise. Can’t really say the transfers have been getting it done. Yes after 3 years silent G was great. After 3 years hughes was great. But no grad transfers have elevated our team.

Because they play significant minutes does not mean they added to the quality of the team. We have had more transfers the last 7 years then I can remember. I basically remember Blackwell and Wes Johnson prior to the ACC. And these have been Jimmy’s worst 7 consecutive years record wise. Can’t really say the transfers have been getting it done. Yes after 3 years silent G was great. After 3 years hughes was great. But no grad transfers have elevated our team.
What would the 16 team be without white and gillon?

wes sat out a year here. Just like Hughes. And griffin hasn’t done too bad.

everyone is talking about instant impact next year to put us over the top. You are all proving my point. People generally transfer for a reason and there has not been one that made a massive impact year one.

Your bringing up Jim’s worst year coaching ever? The most loses he ever had in one year?
Yes, because think of how bad it would be without those 2 guys. They elevated the team, they took it from bad to average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom