It’s Portal time! | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

its not about me.

I knw I have couched my posts from a personal perspective...but its really not.

Its not about blaming or absolving these players for whatever decisions they make.

there is more nuance...than "player good, blogger bad"

the argument that players have the right to do what they want is irrelevant to what I am trying to get at.

of course they can do what they want . of course.

but just bc it is their decision doesnt mean their decisions cant be analyzed and parsed.

there is indeed a part of me as an NCAABB/Orange fan that wants to see these marginal players stay and help the team. That is true. BUT in my opinion it is also in the bst interest of the player, in most cases.

I was a fan in the 80s and 90s and back then...a player didnt really peak until their senior year most of the time. 80% of players had their best year as a senior. Now all of a sudden in the narcissitic era of social media and me me me...players are all of a sudden ready to leave after averaging 11 pts and 8 rebounds with many holes in their games and 1 year of experience...to ...go washout and play barely at all in the NBA...and basically never really have an "NBA career"

I'm not blaming them. or saying they cannot do what they want. it is indeed their decision.

But observing the situation for what it is...doesnt make me selfish.

the situation is very complex and hard to navigate. I'm not saying it is easy...

I get the feeling from your post and from other posters that it is almost never a good idea to stay in school anymore...

cant we just agree that in some cases it is actually better for players to stay in school ?
Do you realize that a grand total of 0. ZERO! Juniors or Seniors went in the top 20 of the NBA draft this year. Again, that is 0 with a capital Z.

Do you realize that a grand total of 0. ZERO! Juniors or Seniors went in the top 20 of the NBA draft this year. Again, that is 0 with a capital Z.
Yeah but the ones that got drafted after that are much readier to get the real money on that second contract leeettt'sssssss goooooooooooooooooo!!!!!1!!!!

i agree with a lot of what you said. As you, I think he is playing out of position. He has had really good moments and then disappeared. I really do hope he is back next year. Could go without some of his heat checks but he is deffinetly a good thing for us.
That has been stated by several posters during the season. I don't buy it. What position would you have him play? His handle is average (at best) for a SF. For a 2G? Very poor.

Agreed. If BS comes back healthy too he would be great insurance. But if they both (JE/FA) take the next step than I think they both can help solve the issues we’re having at the 5.

At this point, Sidibe is like DuJuan Coleman. His knees are done. He should be considering his post-graduate career outside of baketball.

Yeah but the ones that got drafted after that are much readier to get the real money on that second contract leeettt'sssssss goooooooooooooooooo!!!!!1!!!!
I will say Peyton Pritchard has been solid for the Celtics as a rookie late first round pick and he was a 4 year starter at Oregon.
It’s just the NBA draft has become an upside draft and they just want youth to gamble on.

Well half of the NBA is in perpetual loser status...it doesnt surpirse me.

Half of the front offices in the NBA are run by absoulte morons.

I take it you haven’t watched the NBA in a minimum of 2 decades.
ok fine...a third of the front offices.

perma-losers: Twolves, Bulls, Cavs, Knicks, Hawks, Hornets, Wizards, magic, Grizzlies, Kings,

recently good but poorly managed: 76ers, Nets, Suns,

of course the league intervenes and gets superstars to go to these squads and hype em up for a bit when they can ...but the fornt office moves of most of the above squads are often mind boggling. So...if they only draft freshman and sophomores.....idgaf...they are still morons.

Last edited:
Would hate to see Woody transfer out -- would be a disastrous long-term outcome.

I don't think anyone -- least of all the coaches -- should "count" on Sidibe returning being a contributor. He's been healthy a grand total of 1 out of the 4 years that he's played here.

I'd expect one of Jesse or JBA to consider leaving. I'd expect Braswell to be a strong lean toward leaving, so that he can find somewhere to start his final two years [using this one as a wash]. I also think we have to prepare for one or both of Guerrier / Griffin electing to pursue pro options.

My best guess at a lineup:

C -- Edwards builds upon the late season momentum, and starts. Backed up by Anselem, who still won't be "ready" next year.
PF -- Woody
SF -- Benny
SG -- Buddy
PG -- Kadary

Bench: Joe, Frank, Jimmy Jr.
Ur right. I definitely do not wanna see woody transfer out. He's a true freshman, his time will come to be a contributer.
Let's hope he feels the same way

Ur right. I definitely do not wanna see woody transfer out. He's a true freshman, his time will come to be a contributer.
Let's hope he feels the same way
He doesn't

He doesn't
I hope not! I just had to check syracuse.com because I keep seeing these messages thinking that what he is already made up his mind to transfer . That just seems kinda stupid to me to transfer as a true freshman when he made a commitment just a year ago to syracuse University

I hope not! I just had to check syracuse.com because I keep seeing these messages thinking that what he is already made up his mind to transfer . That just seems kinda stupid to me to transfer as a true freshman when he made a commitment just a year ago to syracuse University
Who knows. Im sure there is a reason. Regardless if he isnt happy its better for all involved for him to move on.

He has been in the NBA. He is getting paid to play basketball. He doesn’t need to entertain you to seek his dream.
Some people don’t want college. Some have realized that college is a waste of time in trying to get where they want to go.
I know a kid from Rochester that left college in his first year and wound up getting hired as a CEO of a start up company in Japan. At 19. He and the company realized he did not need a piece of paper to be successful. (Kid is a block-chain/encryption savant.)
OB is better off.
John Wallace did not really improve his draft stock after his FF run. Fans overrate that stuff for NBA draft stock.
Performance matters, (now he is doing it against pros, not people who will never go past college) but workouts matter as much, and sometimes more. Then there are background checks, interviews, etc.
There are also contract issues that have to be dealt with for roster sizes. He might be better than the 12th and 13th guy, but they have guarantees, and the agent might be friends with the GM or the agent has a guy they want to sign next year. For fringe guys like OB, there are a lot of things, other than talent, that go into making a roster.
Don’t let college get in the way of your education.

Don’t let college get in the way of your education.
Plus if the education portion is your argument for kids staying in school, I'm pretty sure guys like Oshea still have the ability to finish up their courses at SU anytime. Their scholarship is for all the courses they need to graduate. Kids only have a small window of time to reach their dreams... the education portion will always be there.

Injuries have hampered him a bit but if he could stay healthy look out. Give me Tre Mitchell before anyone but there will be so many options in the portal this year. Free agency about to be wild!

Injuries have hampered him a bit but if he could stay healthy look out. Give me Tre Mitchell before anyone but there will be so many options in the portal this year. Free agency about to be wild!

That is a BIG "IF"

Been there, done that.

DC2.0, Chewie, CDB.

We need a healthy, functional big man - not another "what could have been" story at the 5.

That is a BIG "IF"

Been there, done that.

DC2.0, Chewie, CDB.

We need a healthy, functional big man - not another "what could have been" story at the 5.
I hear ya. Tre needs to be all out guns blazing...but there will be so much talent in the portal and we will definitely have openings. I hope we are aggressive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom