It’s Portal time! | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Well - we would LOVE to have Marek back.
But ONLY IF JB lets him play Forward.

And frankly, if I'm Marek, I'm thinking the same thing.
Why sign up for another year of getting abused in the middle of the zone, when he has a multitude of skills that are being underutilized by playing there?

That's not his future - he's a wing in a Euro Pro league.
He should get to spend time playing the position he'll want to play as a Pro, NOT being a square peg being forced into a round hole here in our system.
I hope Marek leaves. I want dunkers and athletes that can shoot the 3 at both forward slots and the thought of Marek playing more center for this team is maddening. Nice guy decent player...but he plays a position where a star is needed not a glue guy. Hed be amazing off the bench but thats not what a 5th year player goes for.

Because there are exponentially more professional options than just the NBA / G-League, and Quincy is an international player.

The goal might be the NBA, but there are lots of alternative ways to earn a paycheck if that goal isn't attained.
The best way BY FAR to get to the NBA is playing well in NCAABB...not in austrailia or russia.

If I was him I would stay and try to improve under the spotlight that is NCAABB. I can understand why it is assumed he would leave - especially since that has been the pattern with other players recently - but I really think he can get better and that he is not ready now.

Im not saying he MUST stay...but I think it is a bit much to put forth the notion that his only option is leaving...that it is somehow a foregone conclusion he is gone... that doesnt add up to me.

Seems like an odd time for Jesse to leave just as the roster is opening up for him. Maybe I missed something, but why is there talk of Quincy leaving and where would he be able to go?
JB has been lobbying through the press for a Jesse return... let's see if it's effective

The best way BY FAR to get to the NBA is playing well in NCAABB...not in austrailia or russia.

If I was him I would stay and try to improve under the spotlight that is NCAABB. I can understand why it is assumed he would leave - especially since that has been the pattern with other players recently - but I really think he can get better and that he is not ready now.

Im not saying he MUST stay...but I think it is a bit much to put forth the notion that his only option is leaving. that doesnt add up to me.

Your first sentence shows that you still aren't connecting with the point.

Not everyone is going to play in the NBA. Him staying in school to chase the NBA might never result in him being an NBA prospect, no matter how long he stays. If he isn't a prospect now, then there probably isn't too much he can do to enhance his profile [sure, he could improve his shooting / versatility, but I think he kind of is what he is -- an undersized four who occasionally can knock down perimeter shots. He's not going to suddenly morph into a 3].

If Guerrier has done enough this year to get drafted, then maybe he takes the shot. But he's also an older player -- might not want to continue to play NCAAB and push earning a paycheck a year down the line.

Who's saying that his "only option" is leaving? Would welcome him back with open arms, but him returning is no guarantee.

Your first sentence shows that you still aren't connecting with the point.

Not everyone is going to play in the NBA. If Guerrier has done enough this year to get drafted, then maybe he takes the shot. But he's also an older player -- might not want to continue to play NCAAB and push earning a paycheck a year down the line.

Who's saying that his "only option" is leaving? Would welcome him back with open arms, but him returning is no guarantee.
i think we are misunderstanding each other.

My take is that from a lot of comments from other posters - most seem to assume he is gone - which surprises me based on his play. I think he has developed a lot year over year and that trend should continue if he stays - which would benefit him bc he is not currently going to get drafted most likely.

I dont think a sophomore is "old"...I think his best years are ahead of him if he stays.

I dont think he is a tyus battle who has peaked and hit his ceiling so might as well leave type of deal.

i think he could really improve his draft stock and be a first rounder next year. which would mean a serious difference in his bank account.

I dont think it is a guarantee he comes back. i think it is just odd that it is assumed he is gone...especially bc I dont think that that would be his best move from a long term career perspective.

I think his goal is NBA. it should be. If it isnt then you are right... it doesnt matter and he shoud leave now. if it is NBA...my personal take is he should stay.

i think we are misunderstanding each other.

My take is that from a lot of comments from other posters - most seem to assume he is gone - which surprises me based on his play. I think he has developed a lot year over year and that trend should continue if he stays - which would benefit him bc he is not currently going to get drafted most likely.

I dont think a sophomore is "old"...I think his best years are ahead of him if he stays.

I dont think he is a tyus battle who has peaked and hit his ceiling so might as well leave type of deal.

i think he could really improve his draft stock and be a first rounder next year. which would mean a serious difference in his bank account.

I dont think it is a guarantee he comes back. i think it is just odd that it is assumed he is gone...especially bc I dont think that that would be his best move from a long term career perspective.

I think his goal is NBA. it should be. If it isnt then you are right... it doesnt matter and he shoud leave now. if it is NBA...my personal take is he should stay.

He's "old" chronologically, not because he's a sophomore.

But all good -- thanks for clarifying. We aren't fundamentally misaligned.

With all his knee issues, no one is planning to rely on Bourama next season. Jesse could at least split time w/ him if he’s somehow healthy. And I assume Marek isn’t coming back, but I guess you never know.

No, are YOU kidding? JB and the program has a 40 year track record of developing all American centers—from Rosie Bouie and Rony Seikaly to Conrad McCrae, Otis Hill, Etan Thomas, Arinze Onuaku, Rick Jackson, Feb Melo, Rak Christmas, etc. Who you gonna trust? A 40-year track record of coaching and development (and putting guys in the pros) or some mid-major charlatan who just got a P5 job and is making a lot of empty promises with no track record? Our assistants need to beat back the negative recruiting and go on the offensive. The old ways of running above the fray don’t work anymore, apparently.
Keep talking about the past and not the present. He’s flopped the center position since Rak and I would even say he flopped Rak cuz he was a 5 star big that finally put it together his senior year.

Present day, he is failing this position. He’s recruiting them, cant coach them up and doesnt put them in position to be successful. You would stay? Gotcha, you’re a JB fanboy through and through

The assistants have to beat back the negative?! LOL. That’s the Head Coach’s job.

Keep talking about the past and not the present. He’s flopped the center position since Rak and I would even say he flopped Rak cuz he was a 5 star big that finally put it together his senior year.

Present day, he is failing this position. He’s recruiting them, cant coach them up and doesnt put them in position to be successful. You would stay? Gotcha, you’re a JB fanboy through and through

The assistants have to beat back the negative?! LOL. That’s the Head Coach’s job.
That’s their job as a group. If negativity creeps into your locker room and on to your team...beat it off.

That’s their job as a group. If negativity creeps into your locker room and on to your team...beat it off.
I think what he's saying is the assistants should not have to be cleaning up or neutralizing JB's mistakes.

I’d take the over

Buddy
Kadary
Joe
Frank

Bourama if he can still hoop
I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Woody/AG/Q/Bras comes back (I also wouldn’t surprised if they all left so I duuunnnoo)

I'll take the over too. I've also heard some disturbing rumors about one of those names as a possible transfer. Ultimatums being thrown down. Hope it's not true.

If I had to guess right now, I would say we grab 2-3 players from the portal.

I think the following players come back/are on the team next year. Not all for certain, just my prediction.

Kadary
Buddy
JG3 (comes off the bench though so we’ll see if he accepts that role)
Benny
Frank
Edwards
Sidibe (if his knees are cleared)
Griffin (I think he declares, goes through the process but ultimately comes back for one more year)
Braswell (a true 50/50 depending on what Quincy and Griffin do)

I think we lose
Quincy (declares)
Woody (transfer)
JBA (transfer) could see JBA staying as I think he knows he’s a career back up and is fine with that role. He’s a great locker room guy from what I understand. Just depends on what the coaches tell him
Marek (graduates)

Last edited:

I think the following players come back/are on the team next year. Not all for certain, just my prediction.

Kadary
Buddy
Benny
Frank
Edwards
Griffin (I think he declares, goes through the process but ultimately comes back for one more year)

I think we lose
Quincy (declares)
Woody (transfer)
JBA (transfer) could see JBA staying as I think he knows he’s a career back up and is fine with that role. He’s a great locker room guy from what I understand. Just depends on what the coaches tell him
Marek (graduates)
Braswell?

I'll take the over too. I've also heard some disturbing rumors about one of those names as a possible transfer. Ultimatums being thrown down. Hope it's not true.
I'm assuming Kooks wants the starting gig, rightfully so...

Kadary
Buddy
Benny
Frank
Edwards

I think we lose
Quincy (declares)
Woody (transfer)
Marek (graduates)
If all that happens then we’re solid. Especially if any of the transfers are good enough to start. We would potentially start: Kadary, Budance, Griff, Benny and Jesse. With a really nice bench. I like it.

Kadary
Buddy
Benny
Frank
Edwards

I think we lose
Quincy (declares)
Woody (transfer)
Marek (graduates)
Throw in tre Mitchell and we’re rolling

How does leaving school early help QG and AG? Both should work hard and have a great offseason. Improve and have better seasons than this year. Why leave for any type of pro basketball when you can get better in college? Even if QG is thinking international, he can get better here. He started the year great. If he kept that up, could have possibly been drafted. AG, I guess has problems with JB? Like why else on earth would you leave? Your family is well off and you are not ready whatsoever for a professional career.

I doubt many impact transfers are coming to SU to be the 7th & 8th & 9th players.

ETA: If you're starting Buddy, Kadary, Griffin, Benny, and then people are hoping that Frank and Jesse can man the 5, with Joe as the first guard off the bench ... that leaves not much for minutes.

If transfers who are immediately eligible to play are coming in, starters from this year's team are leaving and their anticipated replacements from this year's bench are probably leaving too or aren't expected to improve enough.

Why would Bourama come back then?
You don’t bring Bourama back to sit on the bench and we get a bunch of people on here saying his loss is why we are what we are this season.

Jesse/Frank should be the C rotation next year.
I don’t want Marek to come back unless he was promised he wouldn’t play center.

To your second point we whiffed on a lot of centers and its on the HC not the assistants to get centers to want to play here.
Two different things. The loss of Sidibe really hurt us this year. I don't want the loss of Sidibe to hurt us next year as well. We can't have one of our young big's bolt because Sidibe wants to come back (not saying that would happen) and have Sidibe unable to play again next year. if we can do the kid a solid and have him come back and geta grad degree, wonderful. If he can play, great. But we can't have him come back and 1. depend on him and 2 cause one of our young guys leave because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom