It was bound to happen ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It was bound to happen ...

Coaches have been using other schools to leverage their current AD into paying them more money and have been jumping at the first big paycheck they can get forever. Now a handful of kids are doing the same thing and it’s the end of the world. Boo hoo

He played like the 3rd best player on the team during March, if even.

All this also means that "colleges" are now functioning as pro or perhaps semi-pro franchises...at least in dealing with some players.
And it's only going to increase.
Wait until there's a "walk-ons union."

The NCAA has no power to stop it.
They do actually. But they’re too afraid to act to institute guardrails and regulations. They’re hoping Congress intervenes to create uniform rules. Lolz.

Coaches have been using other schools to leverage their current AD into paying them more money and have been jumping at the first big paycheck they can get forever. Now a handful of kids are doing the same thing and it’s the end of the world. Boo hoo

Coaching is a career. End of the day these kids are just replaceable college students passing through.

So now for top hoops and football players we have entered the " I am going to college to make money" phase. It's not to get an education or win a championship or ( insert here). I'm all for not allowing the manipulation of student athletes. That said without proper guard rails and ability to enforce them this turns into a whole different animal.
The NCAA is spineless, is afraid of lawsuits, and is trying to serve hundreds of schools with dramatically different athletic interests.

exactly, the minute the Supreme Court(unanimously) ruled as they did it was over, the NCAA can't regulate any of this now, if they had been proactive(ha ha) a few years ago and had set up some parameters for NIL they very well could have prevented this.
It’s more complicated than that. They can. The Supreme Court never said there couldn’t be guardrails instituted. But the NCAA is afraid to do anything because it could spawn lawsuits and pushback against any regulations and restrictions they put in place. Congress could create the guardrails, but good luck with that. Allowing college players to unionize and negotiating a collective bargaining agreement may be the only way to create a legitimate and legal set of rules.

I’m glad I have the Patriot League and several Div III teams to root for. I’ll watch the Orange and some ND games but that’s about it. Otherwise it is small college ball from now on.
I have a buddy who for years has been going to home games at his D3 alma mater and eschewing SU games for pretty much the reasons stated in this thread. He simply enjoys the game for itself and has for years felt that D1 was already semi-pro and compensated. Now that it's so blatant, I may join him.

Like you, I am torn.
Players have been exploited for decades and the only promises they had were a free ride to a educational degree. And God-forbid someone paid for a meal during a road trip…all NCAA hell would break loose.
But the alternative we’re seeing coming into focus, is one where it’s truly every man for himself. For those of us who love and revere the jersey first, it’s becoming apparent, if it already wasn’t, that that’s no longer the priority. And the sad part is, decisions need to be made, sooner rather than later, if schools are going to be part of the emerging semipro landscape, or continue to maintain ties to their academic side.
Soon enough it seems, the jersey will be the equivalent of any semi-pro team out there. It’s a sad sad reality, but it’s here.

As the 90s saying goes "don't player hate, participate." We keep getting left behind - what is our money man doing other than sit at our home games with celebrities? Break out the money bag and get some 5 star players on the team!

Coaching is a career. End of the day these kids are just replaceable college students passing through.
Then all this doesn't matter. If you're just rooting for the laundry.

All the innnocence and purity went out the door a long long time ago. The NCAA has had no problems cashing big checks and neither did Mark Emmert or legions of coaches and ADs and strength trainers and linemen coaches, and compliance officers. It's been ridiculously obvious for decades that recruits were worth far far far more than a sticker-price "education".

Then all this doesn't matter. If you're just rooting for the laundry.

All the innnocence and purity went out the door a long long time ago. The NCAA has had no problems cashing big checks and neither did Mark Emmert or legions of coaches and ADs and strength trainers and linemen coaches, and compliance officers. It's been ridiculously obvious for decades that recruits were worth far far far more than a sticker-price "education".

Rooting for our school, town, region, whatever. But yeah we've been rooting for laundry for a long time. Unless you're UNC since those kids never leave...

Outside the highest of highest levels sports gave kids a chance for a free or highly discounted education, medical care, some pocket money, and a chance to do something with it.

College pros vs Pros - College will be nuts and largely dysfunctional. There'll be no salary cap and unlike pro leagues where players are under contract for x number of years, the college pros have the portal so everyone is year to year. People will tire of this quickly other than the hardcore fanbase of the teams.

If that's the case what's the big deal about the players leaving. Easily replaced.

College pros vs Pros - College will be nuts and largely dysfunctional. There'll be no salary cap and unlike pro leagues where players are under contract for x number of years, the college pros have the portal so everyone is year to year. People will tire of this quickly other than the hardcore fanbase of the teams.
And let’s get totally crazy here but…

Consider a scenario where a pro player- G-League, semipro, or heck even already in the Association, gets recruited by a program to come BACK to school, and play for pay.

Seems far-fetched, right? But theoretically with no guardrails in place, why couldn’t this happen? :(

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Like you, I am torn.
Players have been exploited for decades and the only promises they had were a free ride to a educational degree. And God-forbid someone paid for a meal during a road trip…all NCAA hell would break loose.
But the alternative we’re seeing coming into focus, is one where it’s truly every man for himself. For those of us who love and revere the jersey first, it’s becoming apparent, if it already wasn’t, that that’s no longer the priority. And the sad part is, decisions need to be made, sooner rather than later, if schools are going to be part of the emerging semipro landscape, or continue to maintain ties to their academic side.
Soon enough it seems, the jersey will be the equivalent of any semi-pro team out there. It’s a sad sad reality, but it’s here.

I feel like we're just in the wild west period. Everything is new and boundaries and limits will be pushed.

It's sad the NCAA fought this tooth and nail and took themselves out of the picture. They created this; but so did the coaches. Most of these kids are at their max levels of celebrity. They should be allowed to maximize their earnings.

I want the colleges that want the semi pro model to break away asap. No laws, let the boosters do whatever they want to get players. Let them play each other, I hope they have a grand old time bidding against each other for players, coaches, building crazy facilities, etc.

Throw the NCAA out. They are worthless and nothing can be saved from that organization.

The schools that want players to go to class need to get together and set up a framework for a new model. One where there are rules. Kind of like we have now but with a regulatory group overseeing things that has well thought out rules that it actually enforces.

Where NIL is okay but only after players are in college. Where there are clear rules designed to limit the impact boosters and agents can have on college sports.

The semi pro franchises will never play the college programs, just like pro teams do not play college teams today.

If the semi pro franchises want to merge with G league type teams, no problem. There really are no rules for them.

We have to separate these groups asap. Let the public and the market place decide who is going to get money and tv contracts.

I think, and perhaps I am completely wrong here, that when push comes to shove, we are looking at maybe 30 schools that are willing to prostitute their names in search of money and athletic glory.

It wound be great to have a football season where we have no idea who is going to make the playoffs, let alone win the NC. Where the playing field is relatively level and hope abounds.
I'm 100% on board with this and it's basically what we have now in college football if we actually want to admit it or not