It was bound to happen ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It was bound to happen ...

For if it settles and calms down by way of the market, what's the issue again?

All I really care about is Syracuse. All this stuff could likely benefit our lax, depends on hoops and likely neutral to bad in football (not on kids we recruit but if someone blows up here can be re-recruited).

Right now handing out lottery winnings to some of these kids will yield the usual unintended bad consequences.

And let’s get totally crazy here but…

Consider a scenario where a pro player- G-League, semipro, or heck even already in the Association, gets recruited by a program to come BACK to school, and play for pay.

Seems far-fetched, right? But theoretically with no guardrails in place, why couldn’t this happen? :(
It's not far-fetched at all. It's funny we were all bitchin about one and done's and now we're mad that players are coming back.

* shrug *

All I really care about is Syracuse. All this stuff could likely benefit our lax, depends on hoops and likely neutral to bad in football (not on kids we recruit but if someone blows up here can be re-recruited).

Right now handing out lottery winnings to some of these kids will yield the usual unintended bad consequences.

That's the thing - will the A&M boosters continue to pay outrageous amounts for recruiting classes if these kids don't pan out or transfer?

That's the thing - will the A&M boosters continue to pay outrageous amounts for recruiting classes if these kids don't pan out or transfer?

Over a half a billion dollars went to coaching buyouts in the last decade, donor funded, so probably...I think it's all insane.

It's not far-fetched at all. It's funny we were all bitchin about one and done's and now we're mad that players are coming back.

* shrug *
That's a point I hadn't considered. Player movement will continue, but this could actually keep them in school longer.

It's just like the job market. When you see someone making more than you but you're at the same level then you obviously want more. You either ask for a raise (use your performance to back it up) or you look elsewhere for somewhere that is willing to pay more. The only issue is which other school is willingly going to pay Isaiah Wong $400k+?

It’s more complicated than that. They can. The Supreme Court never said there couldn’t be guardrails instituted. But the NCAA is afraid to do anything because it could spawn lawsuits and pushback against any regulations and restrictions they put in place. Congress could create the guardrails, but good luck with that. Allowing college players to unionize and negotiating a collective bargaining agreement may be the only way to create a legitimate and legal set of rules.
There’s nothing that prevents the NCAA from reinstating the rule you have to sit for a year after transferring.

So now for top hoops and football players we have entered the " I am going to college to make money" phase. It's not to get an education or win a championship or ( insert here). I'm all for not allowing the manipulation of student athletes. That said without proper guard rails and ability to enforce them this turns into a whole different animal.
now it’s out in the open you mean

There’s nothing that prevents the NCAA from reinstating the rule you have to sit for a year after transferring.
Except all of the players you mean

Over a half a billion dollars went to coaching buyouts in the last decade, donor funded, so probably...I think it's all insane.

They're still not going to sniff a playoff as long as Saban is there.

1978?
Well there were gambling related scandals long before that, e.g. CCNY. Legalized sports betting has changed the game (sic) qualitatively and quantitively.

Well there were gambling related scandals long before that, e.g. CCNY. Legalized sports betting has changed the game (sic) qualitatively and quantitively.
Sports betting has been legal in parts of America all along. The possibility of shaving has always existed. The algorithms to catch possible betting by players (see Calvin Ridley) or any shaving put in by the companies will actually hinder it from happening wide-spread imo.

A college player threatens to become a free agent unless he gets more money at his current school. Suddenly the ACC looks just like MLB or the NBA.

Professional athletes have contracts that bind the parties, including the players to teams, for terms. The "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach seems to be pretty exclusive to college.

This is awful. Such greed. There’s these players shamelessly demanding more money and makes it all but impossible for me to maintain my delusions that college sports are innocent, and that institutions of higher learning good intentioned and only care about making sure the student athlete is front and center.

Some players will become commodities as their family and handlers step further to the forefront of school selection decisions.
Tragic for athletes that grew up with dream schools that may not even come into play

A college player threatens to become a free agent unless he gets more money at his current school. Suddenly the ACC looks just like MLB or the NBA.
We’ve come a LONG way from, “These kids should be able to sign autographs and make some money.”

Return to the day where people went to college to get an education and being good at a particular activity, in this case athletics, could get you a reduced or free education. If you don’t value the education why should you be required to pursue your athletic career at an educational institution. There should be a professional minor league where you can pursue your avocation.

In the end college fans root for the Jersey and if the level of play drops off a little bit because the top prospects have an avenue that allows them to become pros and skip college we’ll get past it, continue to enjoy our teams games and ultimately teams will be on a more equal footing.

Last edited:
Sports betting has been legal in parts of America all along. The possibility of shaving has always existed. The algorithms to catch possible betting by players (see Calvin Ridley) or any shaving put in by the companies will actually hinder it from happening wide-spread imo.
Don’t agree. The money and ubiquity in/of gambling on college sports have increased exponentially. I’d be absolutely amazed if enforcement has kept pace at all, again at the college level. For one thing nobody is seriously incentivized to watch closely.