It will be amusing to see the reaction | Syracusefan.com

It will be amusing to see the reaction

GoSU96

Living Legend
if offers start getting pulled.

One of the biggest reasons for keeping Shafer was the need to keep the class together. Wouldn't be surprised if there is some change to the composition of the class.

Haven't seen any indication that any offers will be pulled. yes, some players haven't been contacted yet, but the staff seems to be focusing on the early enrollees first.

Based on his last tweet, I'm wondering if Sadiq Palmer's may have been pulled.

jekelish said:

I'm going to trust their judgment.

But hard to believe they have better recruits in line.

I think I took his tweet potentially a little different than you. I might have to read it again.

OL and DL have to be the two hardest positions to project from high school to college, because the guys who are true D1 prospects are generally much bigger / stronger than the players they compete against at the high school level.

At Syracuse, we've struggled to recruit linemen -- OL in particular. I'm not criticizing our previous coaches, it just seems to be generally true. I don't have a problem with them taking kids with upside who are good system fits to groom at OL, because what we've done for the past 15+ years generally hasn't resulted in too many years of above average performance up front. It is important to also recognize that we aren't landing elite caliber 4 or 5 star recruits at OL. So I am okay with trusting the coaches in terms of whether the kids they bring in are good system fits until proven otherwise. Our sweet spot seems to be more developing OL talent rather than landing top shelf talent.

I think I took his tweet potentially a little different than you. I might have to read it again.
I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting it. I actually think Sadiq has the potential to be a solid player.

I'm hoping I'm misinterpreting it. I actually think Sadiq has the potential to be a solid player.

It very well might be me misinterpreting it too, tweets aren't always easy to decipher, lol

At WR or S--both key positions of need on this roster.

One of the biggest reasons for keeping Shafer was the need to keep the class together. Wouldn't be surprised if there is some change to the composition of the class.

It would be shortsighted if some weren't. This isn't everyone gets a trophy time. It's time for the new staff to take a critical assessment of the roster and the recruits and make sure that whomever is being kept on board fits what they want to do going forward.

I fully expect that we'll see multiple Redshirt JR's take their degrees and walk, some transfers, and some offers pulled. And I would feel much worse about the staff if we didn't. It's a sucky part of the job but it's still part of the job. As long as the new staff helps the kids that are leaving find suitable other options if they need the help, then I have no problem with it.

That said, Babers runs a different EVERYTHING. A critical player to a Shafer recruiting system might not work whatsoever for a Babers. No biggee.

It will be fun to watch the surge in last-minute commits, as the numbers that will drop out could rise as a result of the change.

tep624 said:
It would be shortsighted if some weren't. This isn't everyone gets a trophy time. It's time for the new staff to take a critical assessment of the roster and the recruits and make sure that whomever is being kept on board fits what they want to do going forward. I fully expect that we'll see multiple Redshirt JR's take their degrees and walk, some transfers, and some offers pulled. And I would feel much worse about the staff if we didn't. It's a sucky part of the job but it's still part of the job. As long as the new staff helps the kids that are leaving find suitable other options if they need the help, then I have no problem with it.

Totally agree. We're going to be running a totally different offense and it sounds like a similar defense, but different style. It's only natural that there are offers pulled, kids asked to graduate, etc. Not everyone will fit into the new system. In fully expect change.

Hard to believe? Why? Because they coached at a MAC school instead of an ACC school?

Guess what - a lot of the kids we have committed had offers from MAC schools, too.

I think based on what Dino Babers said at his press conference, he will make his system fit to the talent around him. He had two years at Eastern Illinois University and Bowling Green University so he had to use the talent available. The bigger question is can he make his system work against ACC talent defenses. We do face Clemson & Florida State every year.

I think based on what Dino Babers said at his press conference, he will make his system fit to the talent around him. He had two years at Eastern Illinois University and Bowling Green University so he had to use the talent available. The bigger question is can he make his system work against ACC talent defenses. We do face Clemson & Florida State every year.
He has shown at both of his HC gigs that he can take the players the previous coaches left, teach them his system, and win games. Now, there will certainly be some who are just a terrible fit, so there might be some attrition. And the list of commits for next year will probably be shaken up some. But I think he will be able to implement what he wants with the players he has. (Of course, some may decide they don't want to play for him.)

Seems that we have 2 higher rated 3* linemen that haven't been contacted yet but we visited and accepted a commit from a lower rated 2* linemen. If this is the shake up in recruiting that people are alluding to, then it does not bode well IMO.

Heads will explode if this is what we can expect in recruiting going forward.

CuseOnly said:
Seems that we have 2 higher rated 3* linemen that haven't been contacted yet but we visited and accepted a commit from a lower rated 2* linemen. If this is the shake up in recruiting that people are alluding to, then it does not bode well IMO. Heads will explode if this is what we can expect in recruiting going forward.

He fits the prototype for DBs offense

He fits the prototype for DBs offense

Problem with that is:

#1 Perception of the fanbase, they don't care who fits what

#2 They are now at a P5 school, go recruit a 3* or 4* kid that fits the system

#3 when the recruiting ranking drops, the fanbase will get restless

We already have a 3* rated LA state player of the year in Lindsey Scott already committed and they are chasing a kid that has already committed to BC. He hasn't given any indication that he will flip and Scott hasn't gotten a phone call yet to my understanding. I think Scott is better.

Just saying that this isn't the UPtick in recruiting that everyone was hoping for.

What if we get lower rated kids that are recruited to his system, we don't get the wins and he bolts for another lower level P5 job for more money than SU can pay.

I am all for drinking the Kool-Aid and buying into "belief without evidence" but this seems to be evidence, at least in recruiting.

Will sit back and see how this progresses.

Seems that we have 2 higher rated 3* linemen that haven't been contacted yet but we visited and accepted a commit from a lower rated 2* linemen. If this is the shake up in recruiting that people are alluding to, then it does not bode well IMO.

Heads will explode if this is what we can expect in recruiting going forward.
uggghh.

uggghh.
Just saying, we shall see. 16 phone calls to commits are not hard to make. Reps where I work are charged with making 40 outbound dials a day, for each rep.

There are now 8 people on staff...why no contact to these kids.?

Just saying, we shall see. 16 phone calls to commits are not hard to make. Reps where I work are charged with making 40 outbound dials a day, for each rep.

There are now 8 people on staff...why no contact to these kids.?
None of us know exactly who and how many players have been contacted. We know of some. Worrying that HCDB is contacting a 2 star before a 3 star seems so petulant. We either trust Babers or we don't. We're either all in with his plan or we aren't. I do, and I am, and if a guy with his pedigree feels a NR offensive lineman from the freeking North Pole will fit his system better than a guy with some arbitrary 3 star ranking, then I'm going to trust that he knows what he's doing.

As HCDB says: Faith. It's belief without evidence. Have faith.

None of us know exactly who and how many players have been contacted. We know of some. Worrying that HCDB is contacting a 2 star before a 3 star seems so petulant. We either trust Babers or we don't. We're either all in with his plan or we aren't. I do, and I am, and if a guy with his pedigree feels a NR offensive lineman from the freeking North Pole will fit his system better than a guy with some arbitrary 3 star ranking, then I'm going to trust that he knows what he's doing.

As HCDB says: Faith. It's belief without evidence. Have faith.

I am not saying that the kid isn't deserving, I watched the tape and my understanding is that he is very raw and coachable. I am all in as well with HCDB.

Perception is reality however among the non Die-Hards, who in the presser HCDB wants to win back into the dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom