It will be tough for the big east to recruit going forward | Syracusefan.com

It will be tough for the big east to recruit going forward

kcsu

Living Legend
If what Doug said during his press conf is true and i believe it is the big east has a major problem going forward from a recruiting standpoint. They are too spread out. Parents and friends will have to rely completely on TV to see most games. It will be almost impossible for parents to travel to most away games. Rutgers to TX or Idaho is a long haul. ACC is as geographically concentrated as any conf in the country which is a huge advantage.

If what Doug said during his press conf is true and i believe it is the big east has a major problem going forward from a recruiting standpoint. They are too spread out. Parents and friends will have to rely completely on TV to see most games. It will be almost impossible for parents to travel to most away games. Rutgers to TX or Idaho is a long haul. ACC is as geographically concentrated as any conf in the country which is a huge advantage.
Didn't see the presser but not sure how different Cuse's situation is...8 of the 11 other schools in the ACC are more than 500 miles away from Syracuse and the other 3 are at least 300 miles away. Yeah...we don't have schools in Idaho but once you get up to 500+ miles you are flying anyway

Maybe perception. Just seems that everything from NC up to Syracuse Boston Pitt is much closer or at a minimum in the same region. Rutgers has Uconn and that is about it.

Didn't see the presser but not sure how different Cuse's situation is...8 of the 11 other schools in the ACC are more than 500 miles away from Syracuse and the other 3 are at least 300 miles away. Yeah...we don't have schools in Idaho but once you get up to 500+ miles you are flying anyway
Agree. BC, Pitt and MD are our shortest trips. We added a ton of miles to the Family Trucksters of our players' families.
Perhaps we should look at adding Stony Brook, Buffalo and Colgate (or Penn State, WVU, Rutgers and Connecticut) to our schedule on some regular rotating basis.

Our longest trip is to Florida which is a pretty short flight in comparison to flying to Texas or Idaho. We will have driving distances for our games against BC, Pitt and Maryland if the recruit is from New York. For our Georgia and Florida recruits they have Ga Tech, Miami, FSU and the rest of the schools are all located in the Carolina area so if a recruit's fam is from there, they would have all those schools in driving distance.

Lots of frequent flyer miles and I can't imagine how expensive it will be for any parent to watch their kids in an away game.

What schools are going to be football/basketball in the big east when we leave? I really wouldn't be surprised to see UConn, Rutgers, Nova and St. Johns get better since they could offer games in nyc and philly plus the big east tournament. Add to this the loss of SU, Pitt, WV and possibly Louisville and they would have less competition and rutgers basketball could have a rutgers football type of schedule.

Lots of frequent flyer miles and I can't imagine how expensive it will be for any parent to watch their kids in an away game.

You have to take into account they aren't paying for college!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Doug has always stressed direct flights in his recruiting which probably corresponds with our schedule. That will help parents. Not sure how many direct flights there are to Boise.

Doug has always stressed direct flights in his recruiting which probably corresponds with our schedule. That will help parents. Not sure how many direct flights their are to Boise.

I'm not sure and the big 12 is going to have the same problem with the hillbillies as well, a bit less but a long bus drive after the flight.

Not quite correct, but close.

Driving distances from Syracuse to ACC schools:

Chestnut Hill (BC) 306.4
Pittsburgh 360.6
College Park (UMd) 362.8
Charlottesville (UVa) 457.0
Blacksburg (VT) 570.4
Durham (Duke) 621.9
Chapel Hill (UNC) 634.7
Raleigh (NC State) 646.6
Winston-Salem (Wake Forest) 646.9
Clemson 849.6
Atlanta (Georgia Tech) 962.2
Tallahassee (FSU) 1183.1
Miami 1452.6

Most of our recruits aren't from the Syracuse area, they're from the I-95 corridor. Quite easy to get to 75% of the ACC schools within 1 day from any place along I-95 in the Middle Atlantic States. I'd rather drive from NYC to Virginia, then from NYC to Ohio.

Have they come out with the divisions for the ACC yet? Regarding football and having just 3 or 4 away games that shouldn't be too bad.

I dont think most of our fans are going to games from the syracuse area anyway. if you are anywhere down by the city you cut 3-4 hrs off any drive trip.

can you paraphrase what you're talking about because with regards to "what Doug said during his press conf is true " ?

Parents whose kids are from Ga area should be fine if their kids play at Syracuse, many away games that are driveable. Ga could be a great territory for us

Parents whose kids are from Ga area should be fine if their kids play at Syracuse, many away games that are driveable. Ga could be a great territory for us
I think we've made solid in-roads there and that should only continue. I like all the players we've pulled from GA so far and it's a hot bed for sure.

I get concerned about thinking we will have it easier - who knows if in the future where RU and UConn eventually end up at. Funny how these things work out.

I think it really all comes down to money. It all depends upon the BE network negotiation and how much each school gets in terms of money as compared to the ACC schools - if its a wide enough difference, then I agree it will be tough moving forward. And it depends if SU invests that extra money into its facilities and even upgrading some of the video/audio in the Dome.

recruiting georgia, florida, md, va - no brainer and easy for family and friends to see games.

Even ohio/michigan with still playing at Pitt.

ACC combines with the Manley locker room, training room, players lounge, and office renovations will help a ton.

But our recruits will come from the I-95 corridor. Nice to get these kids from Michigan but I wonder how much longer that will last? I think they'll still get 1 or 2 out of there due to the Michigan guys on staff but we need to get back heavier into NJ, PA, MD and VA. I like seeing the GA and FL kids...this should continue. The Carolinas are a hard nut to crack...we have never done well there.

Hopefully SU starts scheduling Army, Navy, Temple, UB, etc...so CNYers have some more drivable games. Also, realize we have 10 games at MetLife over the next 20 years...I also expect a few at Yankee Stadium.

Hopefully SU starts scheduling Army, Navy, Temple, UB, etc...so CNYers have some more drivable games. Also, realize we have 10 games at MetLife over the next 20 years...I also expect a few at Yankee Stadium.

If Navy's in the BE, they'll only have 4 OOC games ... Army, AF, Notre Dame, and a team to be named later.

Get in line.

Have they come out with the divisions for the ACC yet? Regarding football and having just 3 or 4 away games that shouldn't be too bad.
No. I believe this is going to be announced in a couple of days. This is really important to the future of the program and deserves more discussion.

Here is how the divisions, which are only used football, are set up:

ATLANTIC

Clemson
Florida State
Wake Forest
NC State
Boston College
Maryland

COASTAL

Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Miami
Duke

I really want to be in the Atlantic, where we are guaranteed to play BC and Maryland each season, and would almost surely get Pitt as our cross over rival, so we would also play them each season. That should ensure we have two relatively easy road trips each season and will help feed rivalries with the ACC schools closest to u.

If we get the Coastal, we only play 1 of these schools each season, and we have to play VT each year. Not good.

Thanks Tom...I hope we're with BC and Maryland at the least and VT will throw a hissyfit if they change the divisions and are with the old big east teams.

I don't want to play UVA honestly they scare me with all the young talent they have. Never thought I would say that about them either.

I have to think they are going to place us with BC and Maryland for too many reasons to list. Cost, natural rivals, recruiting advantages for each school private vs state... Last and most important TV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom