It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

He's not going to win because he's on the Warriors, but Durant should be getting more love for MVP. He's averaging nearly 2 blocks and a career high in rebounds. He's having a better season than Lebron IMO.

Durant is averaging 27-9-5 per 36 (with nearly 2 blocks, like you said) on a 65% true shooting percentage. It's an insane season and it's totally under the radar.

Lebron is averaging 25-7-8 with 2 steals per 36. 62% true shooting. Closer than I would have thought.

Pelicans are getting Cousins from the Kings.

Sources: Kings agree to deal Cousins to Pelicans

Honestly, not sure what this really does for either team.

In other news, Malachi is out for 4-6 weeks with a hamstring injury. If he was still in college, that would likely be a devastating blow to his ability to get drafted, and he'd be enjoying not getting paid while he recovered. As he's an NBA player on a guaranteed contract, he is getting paid to get better.

So for a 26 years old top 15 player all Vlade could get was Buddy Hield, a pupu platter of salaries, a top 3 protected first round pick and second round pick?
Man the Kings are stupid. They couldn't even get an unprotected pick.
Pelicans stole Cousins. They could re-trade him and get more compensation.

Pelicans are getting Cousins from the Kings.

Sources: Kings agree to deal Cousins to Pelicans

Honestly, not sure what this really does for either team.

In other news, Malachi is out for 4-6 weeks with a hamstring injury. If he was still in college, that would likely be a devastating blow to his ability to get drafted, and he'd be enjoying not getting paid while he recovered. As he's an NBA player on a guaranteed contract, he is getting paid to get better.

What this tells me is basically the market for Cousins was terrible and Kings didn't want to commit to him in free agency despite the smoke they were blowing up everyone's colons.

Nola is risking not that much here and hoping that brining cousins close to home will have some positive effect on his attitude, and might make signing him long term a viable option.

However, playing davis and cousins ? this isn't really where the NBA is headed unless

Unreal. The Pelicans have instantly gone from being the least talked about team in the NBA to probably having a Top 10-20 frontcourt in NBA history.

What this tells me is basically the market for Cousins was terrible and Kings didn't want to commit to him in free agency despite the smoke they were blowing up everyone's colons.

Nola is risking not that much here and hoping that brining cousins close to home will have some positive effect on his attitude, and might make signing him long term a viable option.

However, playing davis and cousins ? this isn't really where the NBA is headed unless

Theoretically they should be able to succeed together. They aren't the slow plodding big men the NBA is moving away from. Both are extremely versatile and can kill you inside or outside. I'm guessing it'll be a long transition though.

It's as if people are not taking into account that the dude is a free agent after this year and he's going to require a max contract..and who really wants to give a headcase like this that contract?

Cousins has a year left on his deal after this. He's now not eligible for the super max extension though.

It's amazing the Pellies got the pick protected too. Cousins is such a headcase, it's difficult to tell if the issue is mainly him or a large part because the Kings are a joke. Incredibly talented though.

If the Pelicans can get that 8 seed. That would be an incredibly bad matchup for the Warriors first round.
Draymond could only knee in the groin one of Boogie/Anthony Davis .
Boogie/Anthony are the new twin towers. Both are athletic as well so it won't show down NO.

If the Pelicans can get that 8 seed. That would be an incredibly bad matchup for the Warriors first round.
Draymond could only knee in the groin one of Boogie/Anthony Davis .
Boogie/Anthony are the new twin towers. Both are athletic as well so it won't show down NO.

Yeah, I'd still expect the Warriors to win in 4 or maybe 5, but that's a hell of a first round matchup.

As a Knicks fan, wonder if this makes Holiday more likely to stay

Cue the Calipari to NOLA rumors to coach AD and Demarcus.
He isn't leaving UK but atleast this one would have some intrigue. As Cousins and Davis are both top 15 players. Calipari turned down the Cavs job when they hired Blatt.
Best twin towers since Duncan/Robinson.
Hakeem/Sampson.
McHale/Parrish

So how does this protected pick work?

I understand that in 2017 if the Pelicans are picking in the top-3 they retain the rights. But, in that event, does Sacramento get no future compensation? Or do they get the Pelicans' 2018 pick or something? If not, seems like a strange gamble.

I understand that in 2017 if the Pelicans are picking in the top-3 they retain the rights. But, in that event, does Sacramento get no future compensation? Or do they get the Pelicans' 2018 pick or something? If not, seems like a strange gamble.

It's usually unprotected the year after the protection expires, so if the Pellies end up in the top 3 this year, the Kings would get their first rounder no matter what in 2018.

If New Orleans doesn't make the playoffs and they somehow get lucky with the ping pong balls and finish top 3 they will keep their pick in 2017. The pick compensation would roll over to the 2018. If New Orleans put no protection on the 2018 which I haven't seen then Sacramento would get NO 2018 first round pick no matter where they finished in the lottery.
Teams always put protection on their picks if they are smart. The Clippers gave Cleveland Kyrie Irving because they were one of the few teams who didn't put protection on their pick.
Boston has Brooklyn's pick unprotected last year, can swap this year, and has the Nets unprotected 2018 pick.

By the way if the NBA All-Star game is going to turn into what has become it should be changed to a 3 on 3 tournament or something.
That game wasn't basketball. I am okay with having fun but can the game resemble basketball just a little.
Watch the All-Star games from Jordan's Era in the 90's or post Jordan thru 03. They all resembled basketball.

I also think the NBA should expand by 2 teams.
Put a team in Las Vegas, and Seattle. Move Minnesota to the East.
There is enough talent for 30 more players.
8 four team divisions.

By the way if the NBA All-Star game is going to turn into what has become it should be changed to a 3 on 3 tournament or something.
That game wasn't basketball. I am okay with having fun but can the game resemble basketball just a little.
Watch the All-Star games from Jordan's Era in the 90's or post Jordan thru 03. They all resembled basketball.

I had it on as I was going to bed. Paid little attention. Watched none of the first 3 quarters. It's not even watchable and hasn't been in years.

I agree that they need to do something different. It's gotten flat out boring and that's never good. The whole interest in the game was "will KD and Westbrook pass to each other". That's it. That's all they talked about. Horrible event.

Apparently it was somewhat entertaining listening to Marv try to pronounce Giannis Antetokounmpo

Watch: Marv Albert butchers Giannis' name throughout ASG

I had it on as I was going to bed. Paid little attention. Watched none of the first 3 quarters. It's not even watchable and hasn't been in years.

I agree that they need to do something different. It's gotten flat out boring and that's never good. The whole interest in the game was "will KD and Westbrook pass to each other". That's it. That's all they talked about. Horrible event.
They should just go full rock and jocks. Get a 25 point basket. Put in crazy rules like dunks count for two but also take a point away from the opponent's score. Go gimmicky.

I think now that a generation of guys that really competed in Garnett, Bryant and Duncan have moved on you're just not going to see intensity out of the all-star game.

Isaiah Thomas tweeted out the emoji he did right before the Celtics signed Al Horford.
Rumor is Celtics instragram just followed Melo. Package would revolve around Avery Bradley. Amir Johnson and a Memphis 2018 first round pick.

Isaiah Thomas tweeted out the emoji he did right before the Celtics signed Al Horford.
Rumor is Celtics instragram just followed Melo. Package would revolve around Avery Bradley. Amir Johnson and a Memphis 2018 first round pick.

I've been refreshing twitter for what seems hours.