It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

I agree that if the Celtics can get Butler, that's probably the move to make.

With Melo I think it's more of a mental thing. Melo believes he can compete with Lebron, and has excelled beyond Lebron in a few settings (college and the Olympics). Melo sees himself as a peer.

I guess the point that I've struggled to make is that at this point, I'm not sure that's a good thing. Melo trying to go at Lebron head up is a losing strategy, especially at this stage of the game.

of course, I'm a disgruntled Knicks fan, i could absolutely be too down on Melo.

I know you're not saying Melo is Lebron; no one is going to make that claim anymore. I'm just really not sure about this whole idea that Melo has this mythical ability to go at Lebron or something. They met in the playoffs 5 years ago, when Melo was better than he is now, and the Knicks got housed in 5 and Melo shot 42% from the field. Melo is 4 and 11 against Lebron since (not including that playoff series)

Butler is one of the best 2 way players in the game and is 5 years younger, I just think it's a no brainer.

Melo's never had Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Al Horford etc. etc. alongside him

I guess the point that I've struggled to make is that at this point, I'm not sure that's a good thing. Melo trying to go at Lebron head up is a losing strategy, especially at this stage of the game.

of course, I'm a disgruntled Knicks fan, i could absolutely be too down on Melo.

Let Melo and Lebron battle it out for attention.

The real battle would be Avery Bradley/Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas containing Kyrie.

Let Melo and Lebron battle it out for attention.

The real battle would be Avery Bradley/Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas containing Kyrie.

Ha, I think the Bradley/Crowder combo would do a lot better than Isaiah.

Did the Celtics fans here want the Celtics to go for Cousins? The Pellies basically gave up nothing. Cousins is a gamble, I get that. The upside though...

Ha, I think the Bradley/Crowder combo would do a lot better than Isaiah.

Did the Celtics fans here want the Celtics to go for Cousins? The Pellies basically gave up nothing. Cousins is a gamble, I get that. The upside though...
Stevens didn't want him.

Boston didn't make an offer. Apparently Isaiah and Boogie could have torn apart the locker room.

Celtics could use a big but Boogie wouldn't sign long term there and Stevens didn't like the fit.

Yeah the Thomas thing could have been an issue.

it's easy for me to say cause I'm not a Celtic fan, so if he blows up the team chemistry, whatever. But the dude is so talented.

Reading on B/R that Ainge is too concerned about Butler being paired with Thomas to make a deal. Doesnt think Butler can share the spotlight with the emergence of IT as a super star.

Reading on B/R that Ainge is too concerned about Butler being paired with Thomas to make a deal. Doesnt think Butler can share the spotlight with the emergence of IT as a super star.

Interesting; what star could t hey add under those circumstances? Could just be a leak to bring down the price. Or something. Need to take everything you hear this week with a huge grain of salt

Nets have lowered their asking price on Brook Lopez from 2 firsts to 1 first and 1 second.

I wonder if the Nets will even be much better next year. They won't appeal to any FA when everyone has cap space and they will have a draft pick in the mid 20's.
If the Celtics end up with the 3rd overall pick and two other top 3 picks that trade might go down as the worst trade of alltime since the Hershel Walker trade.

I wonder if the Nets will even be much better next year. They won't appeal to any FA when everyone has cap space and they will have a draft pick in the mid 20's.
If the Celtics end up with the 3rd overall pick and two other top 3 picks that trade might go down as the worst trade of alltime since the Hershel Walker trade.

I think cap space will be a lot less plentiful than last summer, no? I know the cap is going up again, but there was a ton of money spent.

I still think the Nets will suck next year though

Sure they will. They'll have to try and overpay somebody. Last season they handed out crazy offers. The crazier thing was the teams matched.

So Jeanie Buss fires her brother and Mitch Kupchak to hire Magic to run the entire show.

NBA trade rumors: Celtics, Clippers reportedly discussed Blake Griffin deal

Celtics-Clippers talking Blake/Pierce for Crowder/Bradley and first round pick deal.

Blake is exactly what they need a rebounding big to put next to Horford.

1. Multiple 1st round picks
2. As he said in the story, "extremely unlikely"
3. Blake would certainly help with the rebounding issue, but isn't the other issue that Horford doesn't want to be a full-time center? Blake doesn't address that part at all, nor does he improve the defense. I do love me some Blake though.

Even if we monopolize the best young talent in the league, Cleveland will be healthy and probably add another stupid good piece. It's going to be years until we're legit contenders that way.

David Griffin already added a "stupid good piece" -- Kyle Korver. He didn't just wait till the trade deadline to do it.

The Cavs' needs are simple: a backup point guard to play maybe 10 minutes or so a game. Kay Felder may be that guy down the line -- the Cavs supposedly like his potential -- but he's not ready quite yet. He's a rookie, learning on the fly, for now, Calderon may be the guy to come in and fill the bill.

Cavs reportedly have been eyeing Deron Williams, too, although I'd hate to see them give up someone like Shumpert. His stock's gone up. which is understandable: he plays strong D and, per the team's "suggestion," he improved his three-point shooting dramatically. Not wild about his new 'do, though, love his old Kid 'n Play high-rise.

is Iman Shumpert the worst layup shooter in the league? I think he might be

is Iman Shumpert the worst layup shooter in the league? I think he might be

Is he? I'll have to pay closer attention. He misses his share, but never viewed him as the worst. Maybe I've been distracted by his new-found shooting range, new coif and hot wife.

Of course, in contrast to his teammate Kyrie's ridiculous ability to finish, Shumpert's a garden-variety layupper. Kyrie's sick.

Is he? I'll have to pay closer attention. He misses his share, but never viewed him as the worst. Maybe I've been distracted by his new-found shooting range, new coif and hot wife.

Of course, in contrast to his teammate Kyrie's ridiculous ability to finish, Shumpert's a garden-variety layupper. Kyrie's sick.

Maybe it's just a thing with me and a friend, but that's like our lasting memory of him with the Knicks. We then went to a Knicks-Cavs game this year and he blew at least one layup, maybe 2, can't remember.

Obviously Magic Johnson's first move is to deal Brandon Ingram to Chicago for Jimmy Butler because Kupchak wouldn't deal Brandon Ingram for Cousins