It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

Imagine if the Pacers hadn't traded Kawhi for George Hill; even if Kawhi didn't develop as much as he has with the Spurs; imagine that defense with those 2 on the wings and David West and Hibbert inside.

That would be incredible. They would be looking at shutting out teams in quarters.

In my head, the way Bron always talks about Spurs/Pop, I always wondered what would happen if Bron jumped to the Spurs and played PG or the 4 (or whatever he wanted to).

I think he definitely has always had the tools to be elite. Especially on the defensive side. I do think working within a great organization and a shot coach like Chip Engelland is a huge bonus.

To your point, I think people never acknowledge the reality that working within a great organization does for helping players reach their potential. It's like any other business.
the Spurs are amazing at their ability to turn other people's trash into treasure. Danny Green from d-leaguer to one of the best 2 way 2 guards in the association; turning Jonathan Simmons from a semi-pro league star to a rotation player. Now, at 27 Dewayne Dedmon is suddenly one of the best defensive centers in the association and more than serviceable on the offensive end.

the Spurs are amazing at their ability to turn other people's trash into treasure. Danny Green from d-leaguer to one of the best 2 way 2 guards in the association; turning Jonathan Simmons from a semi-pro league star to a rotation player. Now, at 27 Dewayne Dedmon is suddenly one of the best defensive centers in the association and more than serviceable on the offensive end.

Yep. Absolutely. And it keeps going. I really think they are going to make Dejounte Murray into a very good PG and every team is just going to say "well, it's the Spurs". When, in fact, they put him on the right path to success and gave him the proper support.

I think we need to focus more on the fact that the Spurs are on pace for 65 wins. Don't get me wrong, they have good players, but 65 wins good?? #1 defense in the league good? Kawhi is fantastic, no question, and Danny Green is a good defensive player, but their top 7 in minutes played include Patty Mills, Tony Parker, Pau Gasol, LMA, and David Lee. How many of those gys are plus defenders?

In looking at their basketball reference page, I noticed Kawhi is averaging 1.57 fouls per game.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I am a Spurs fan, but I can't help but admire the system they have put in place down there.

I'm a Knicks fan first and foremost, but I'm a HUGE NBA fan.

I love watching Kawhi and the Spurs, as well.

I also enjoy the Jazz, GSW (just because it's ridiculous), Rockets (Morey's dream is coming to fruition with D'Antoni), Bucks (before they went into a tailspin), When Embiid was healthy, I would even watch the Sixers.

I think we need to focus more on the fact that the Spurs are on pace for 65 wins. Don't get me wrong, they have good players, but 65 wins good?? #1 defense in the league good? Kawhi is fantastic, no question, and Danny Green is a good defensive player, but their top 7 in minutes played include Patty Mills, Tony Parker, Pau Gasol, LMA, and David Lee. How many of those gys are plus defenders?

In looking at their basketball reference page, I noticed Kawhi is averaging 1.57 fouls per game.

If they get a few more titles before Kawhi is done, I think you could argue they'd be the best professional team sports franchise in history. People think it started with Duncan, but it was way before that, even before David Robinson. In 40 NBA seasons, they have missed the playoffs *4* times. FOUR TIMES!

You can also argue that each superstar is better than the one before: Gervin, Admiral, Duncan, with Kawhi's ceiling TBD.

If they get a few more titles before Kawhi is done, I think you could argue they'd be the best professional team sports franchise in history. People think it started with Duncan, but it was way before that, even before David Robinson. In 40 NBA seasons, they have missed the playoffs *4* times. FOUR TIMES!

You can also argue that each superstar is better than the one before: Gervin, Admiral, Duncan, with Kawhi's ceiling TBD.

They are an incredible organization, but we do need to mention they caught a break in that the one year they were terrible due to Robinson being hurt, Duncan was in the lottery. The next year and it would have been the Kandi man.

They are an incredible organization, but we do need to mention they caught a break in that the one year they were terrible due to Robinson being hurt, Duncan was in the lottery. The next year and it would have been the Kandi man.

I can't imagine Pop drafting Candi in that draft. I'm not saying he would have Dirk rated high enough to be #1, but I think he would have brought in a better guy from that pool. I mean, the Clippers (the old Clippers) chose Candi. That was a good draft.

I'm a Knicks fan first and foremost, but I'm a HUGE NBA fan.

I love watching Kawhi and the Spurs, as well.

I also enjoy the Jazz, GSW (just because it's ridiculous), Rockets (Morey's dream is coming to fruition with D'Antoni), Bucks (before they went into a tailspin), When Embiid was healthy, I would even watch the Sixers.
I'm the same way. I watch every NBA game I can. It has the downside of making me like the college game less and less. The gap between the skill level at those two levels are immense, and I don't think most college fans realize it. College ball, overall, is closer to junior high than it is to the NBA

I'm the same way. I watch every NBA game I can. It has the downside of making me like the college game less and less. The gap between the skill level at those two levels are immense, and I don't think most college fans realize it. College ball, overall, is closer to junior high than it is to the NBA

I absolutely agree. I get when the Pistons were winning a title how the NBA game was (scores in the 70s, slow, etc), but between in the huge influx of talent and the way the game is played now, I don't understand how people prefer the college game (outside of watching your favorite team).

You just cannot get anything close to what you saw last night with Harden and Kawhi in college.

That is a great one. I think this would be the strongest argument.
I would take Bellamy, a good rebounder and a better offensive player than either Thurmond or Reed, IMO.

Thurmond was a great defender and rebounder though, and gave Wilt some great battles. Reed was a very good offensive player with a nice midrange game, but wasn't as durable as Thurmond or Bellamy.

Last edited:
I can't imagine Pop drafting Candi in that draft. I'm not saying he would have Dirk rated high enough to be #1, but I think he would have brought in a better guy from that pool. I mean, the Clippers (the old Clippers) chose Candi. That was a good draft.

Yeah as soon as I hit send, i realized that exact point. They probably don't take the Kandi man. Still, they aren't getting tim Duncan

On Nate Thurmond, the dude was a 42% shooter for his career. How is that possible?? He's 6-11, he's a center. How are you shooting 42% from the field?

I imagine they would have turned that pick into gold. Don Nelson turned his pick in that draft into Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash!

I also enjoy the Jazz
The Jazz organization has really won me over while I've lived in Utah. It's been cool watching them build a team and get guys to elevate their game. They've had some stuff not work out, but more often than not they're right. They're set to compete for a long time... assuming they keep Hayward.

The Jazz organization has really won me over while I've lived in Utah. It's been cool watching them build a team and get guys to elevate their game. They've had some stuff not work out, but more often than not they're right. They're set to compete for a long time... assuming they keep Hayward.

It sucks for them cause I can't imagine it's easy to get FA to sign there, so they really need to build through the draft and player development. But Heyward and Gobert is a hell of a core.

It sucks for them cause I can't imagine it's easy to get FA to sign there, so they really need to build through the draft and player development. But Heyward and Gobert is a hell of a core.
Yeah, guys have to want to be there. Players that don't know the city knock it, but usually what happens is that once people get here they like it a lot more than they expect. That's been my personal experience too. Growing up in Syracuse the idea of living in Utah was about as reasonable as a moon colony. But the state's been good to me.

I think the Gordon and Gobert show will go on. The one that feels shaky to me is George Hill. He fits so well (when healthy) but rumbles are coming out that he expects a max contract. I don't think he's in that category.

I remember at the time thinking Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, and Antawn Jamison were the obvious top 3 players in that draft and was completely baffled that they weren't the top 3 picks. I had no way of knowing anything about Dirk, but of the college guys...I was pretty much right. You could argue Bibby and Jamison. But Olowakandi? Lafrentz? Over Vince and Jamison? Traylor over Pierce? Hughes over Pierce? Good God, how do you watch basketball and make those calls?

Sometimes these guys overthink things.

Yeah, guys have to want to be there. Players that don't know the city knock it, but usually what happens is that once people get here they like it a lot more than they expect. That's been my personal experience too. Growing up in Syracuse the idea of living in Utah was about as reasonable as a moon colony. But the state's been good to me.

I think the Gordon and Gobert show will go on. The one that feels shaky to me is George Hill. He fits so well (when healthy) but rumbles are coming out that he expects a max contract. I don't think he's in that category.

Yeah, they had a chance to extend Hill up until a few days ago, but they couldn't get it done.

It's also possible he wants to see what Gordon does. If he stays, and the team looks like a winner, probably easier to keep him.

I remember at the time thinking Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, and Antawn Jamison were the obvious top 3 players in that draft and was completely baffled that they weren't the top 3 picks. I had no way of knowing anything about Dirk, but of the college guys...I was pretty much right. You could argue Bibby and Jamison. But Olowakandi? Lafrentz? Over Vince and Jamison? Traylor over Pierce? Hughes over Pierce? Good God, how do you watch basketball and make those calls?

Sometimes these guys overthink things.

Size trumps (or trumped) all. Thats all I can come up with

Jared Dudley might be my least favorite basketball player ever.

Jared Dudley might be my least favorite basketball player ever.

He seems like a cool dude off the court, he comes off well (to me, at least) when he does Lowe's podcast. On the court, I dunno.