It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

I think there was a time when Erving, Bird, King, Gervin and Dantley were all out there close to their peak. I would have to check though, and there are probably others from that era I'm forgetting.

Yeah i was scanning some early 80's all nba teams, Erving and Bird were first team at F like 3 or 4 years running.

Those guys are obviously legends, but A) I think Lebron is better than Bird, and KD is pretty close to Erving, and B) there's no real third guy. I know King was awesome for like a year or so, but Leonard is a dynamite offensive player and and possibly the greatest wing defender in the history of the game.

My friend made a good point, take it back to like 2008 and use Lebron again; Lebron/Duncan/KG. That might be it

With Bogut's one-minute career in Cleveland apparently over, maybe the Cavs will have to go to Plan B -- or Plan THC -- and sign Larry Sanders...or maybe Hank Kingsley.

I give this nickname a thumbs-up.
giphy.gif

Yeah i was scanning some early 80's all nba teams, Erving and Bird were first team at F like 3 or 4 years running.

Those guys are obviously legends, but A) I think Lebron is better than Bird, and KD is pretty close to Erving, and B) there's no real third guy. I know King was awesome for like a year or so, but Leonard is a dynamite offensive player and and possibly the greatest wing defender in the history of the game.
I can't argue with that -- great, great players in both eras.

For guards, how about Robertson, West, Bing and Frazier? Havlicek also played a lot at shooting guard in that era as well.

I can't argue with that -- great, great players in both eras.

For guards, how about Robertson, West, Bing and Frazier? Havlicek also played a lot at shooting guard in that era as well.

West and Oscar were the first team all NBA backcourt for about 4 or 5 years running, with Bing breaking it up.

For guards, my first thought was sometime in the late 80s, because you have Michael and Magic, and how do you really beat that? Michael, Magic, and Zeke? Not bad.

Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Curry, Davis, Paul, Cousins. Then you have a second tier filled with guys like Thompson, Draymond, Lillard, Hayward, Gobert, Griffin. Add in young guys coming on very strong like Jokic and KAT
- the Western Conference is absolutely loaded with first class talent.

and as a 2 way player, Kawhi is arguably the best of the bunch, and he's only 25!

If you consider them all 4's, maybe Dirk/KG/Duncan?

I can't concede that. Bron is better than Duncan, who is the best out of those three (and I love Duncan).

KD is going to be a better player than Dirk and KG before he is done.

Kawhi's peak is off the charts right now. He may end up finishing as the best or second best defender in NBA history and the most prolific two-way player since MJ.

West and Oscar were the first team all NBA backcourt for about 4 or 5 years running, with Bing breaking it up.

For guards, my first thought was sometime in the late 80s, because you have Michael and Magic, and how do you really beat that? Michael, Magic, and Zeke? Not bad.

I think your Magic and Michael and Zeke would be closest, but I would still give it to Bron, KD and Kawhi. The West/Oscar/Bing is a solid argument as well.

Kind of a random thing, but have there ever been 3 better forwards active in their prime like Lebron/KD/Kawhi?
maybe the mid 90s trio of Karl Malone/Charles Barkley/Scottie Pippen

maybe the mid 90s trio of Karl Malone/Charles Barkley/Scottie Pippen

I don't think so, but I also think Scottie Pippen is wildly underrated as a player. I defend him every time there is an argument about his standing in NBA history.

I don't think so, but I also think Scottie Pippen is wildly underrated as a player. I defend him every time there is an argument about his standing in NBA history.

Yeah i was thinking the Malone/Barkley/Pippen trio, but I really don't think they can get there. Lebron and Durant are probably better than anyone in that group. I love Pippen as a player and I think he's the best of that trio.

Here's one I threw at a friend; peak Kawhi or peak Scottie? Scottie is a better playmaker, Kawhi a better scorer. Defensively?

those three have more rings among them than LeBron/KD/Kawhi . . . of course, they all belong to Scottie ;)

for C, you have Shaq/Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing.

i dont think you ever had Wilt/Russell/Kareem.

Yeah i was thinking the Malone/Barkley/Pippen trio, but I really don't think they can get there. Lebron and Durant are probably better than anyone in that group. I love Pippen as a player and I think he's the best of that trio.

Here's one I threw at a friend; peak Kawhi or peak Scottie? Scottie is a better playmaker, Kawhi a better scorer. Defensively?

I would take Kawhi because I think, already, his offensive toolkit, to me, is better than Scottie's. But, like you said, Scottie can basically be PG if you need him to (like Bron, light).

I also think if Scottie were playing now, he would have focused on a three point game more.

But I have to take Kawhi. I've seen him slow down peak LeBron. So I guess I would give him the slight, slight edge.

I think Kawhi is actually closer to MJ than to Scottie at this point (in terms of likeness).

Again, I say this all as a HUGE fan of Scottie Pippen.

I would take Kawhi because I think, already, his offensive toolkit, to me, is better than Scottie's. But, like you said, Scottie can basically be PG if you need him to (like Bron, light).

I also think if Scottie were playing now, he would have focused on a three point game more.

But I have to take Kawhi. I've seen him slow down peak LeBron. So I guess I would give him the slight, slight edge.

I think Kawhi is actually closer to MJ than to Scottie at this point (in terms of likeness).

Again, I say this all as a HUGE fan of Scottie Pippen.

Yeah, on some level, it's tough to compare a guy from now to a guy in the mid 90's. The three years they moved the line in, Scottie made nearly 2 per game and shot around 36%, so I think in this current era, if nothing else, he'd be some kind of a threat form there.

Leonard is just amazing. Random stat about him; he's shooting nearly 90% from the foul line! That's bonkers. Also, the Spurs are good, but should the really be a game or two behind the Warriors? They have a good roster, but it isn't that good. That has to say something about Leonard.

for C, you have Shaq/Hakeem/Robinson/Ewing.

i dont think you ever had Wilt/Russell/Kareem.
Chamberlain/Russell and choose one of Thurmond, Bellamy or Reed.

Yeah, on some level, it's tough to compare a guy from now to a guy in the mid 90's. The three years they moved the line in, Scottie made nearly 2 per game and shot around 36%, so I think in this current era, if nothing else, he'd be some kind of a threat form there.

Leonard is just amazing. Random stat about him; he's shooting nearly 90% from the foul line! That's bonkers. Also, the Spurs are good, but should the really be a game or two behind the Warriors? They have a good roster, but it isn't that good. That has to say something about Leonard.

I can't find it now, but I think that Kawhi's usage% has gone up each year he's been in the league, his scoring has gone up each year and his TS% has gone up every year, but this year, which is just off of last year's mark.

Did you know Russell made first team all league "only" 3 times? he won the mvp 5 times!

I can't find it now, but I think that Kawhi's usage% has gone up each year he's been in the league, his scoring has gone up each year and his TS% has gone up every year, but this year, which is just off of last year's mark.

His TSP is now at a career high, 61.7% vs 61.6%!

2015 was down though, career worst of 56.7%

I have to wonder, though, if he would be quite as good if not on the Spurs. He is so reserved and San Antonio is the kind of city and organization built for quiet guys like him & Duncan to thrive without the pressure to be out front marketing the franchise. Leonard and the Spurs seems like a marriage made in heaven.

I have to wonder, though, if he would be quite as good if not on the Spurs. He is so reserved and San Antonio is the kind of city and organization built for quiet guys like him & Duncan to thrive without the pressure to be out front marketing the franchise. Leonard and the Spurs seems like a marriage made in heaven.

I think it's totally fair to say that he may not have developed quite as well if he was in a different organization. There's a reason the Spurs are awesome every year.

I think he definitely has always had the tools to be elite. Especially on the defensive side. I do think working within a great organization and a shot coach like Chip Engelland is a huge bonus.

To your point, I think people never acknowledge the reality that working within a great organization does for helping players reach their potential. It's like any other business.

That is a great one. I think this would be the strongest argument.

I think it's totally fair to say that he may not have developed quite as well if he was in a different organization. There's a reason the Spurs are awesome every year.

Where do you think Paul George (no leg injury) would be versus Kawhi if the two of them had switched organizations?

Where do you think Paul George (no leg injury) would be versus Kawhi if the two of them had switched organizations?

Imagine if the Pacers hadn't traded Kawhi for George Hill; even if Kawhi didn't develop as much as he has with the Spurs; imagine that defense with those 2 on the wings and David West and Hibbert inside.