It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin! | Page 123 | Syracusefan.com

It's showtime -- let the (NBA) games begin!

The Cavs had four possessions (three in a row, I believe) in like the lats two minutes where they got zero points. They lost that game by 9. While I don't think they would have won, if they had Pop, I'm guessing that is a one possession game at the end.

Lebron is great, but I have always wondered how he would respond to a coach who has/wants more control. Nothing against Spoelstra or Lue, but they are/were young coaches by NBA standards who in most instances let him do his thing.

Lebron is great, but I have always wondered how he would respond to a coach who has/wants more control. Nothing against Spoelstra or Lue, but they are/were young coaches by NBA standards who in most instances let him do his thing.

I think it depends on the coach. A guy like Pop? I really don't think there'd be any issues. Pop has a ton of respect around the league.

I also think when Lebron first went to Miami, although Spo was the coach, Riley was there also.

Therein lies the problem [or TWO problems].

One, NBA officiating is not just inconsistent, but it has always been preferential to the home team in the playoffs. Sometimes egregiously so.

Two, if the refs hadn't gotten so whistle happy in the first half, saddling a number of the key players with numerous fouls, then maybe the second half could have been called more evenly and a non-call here and there wouldn't have such a potentially enormous impact. Nobody wants to see what happened during the college final game happen in an elimination game, with the season hanging on the line. And yet...

I honestly think the game speed and the athleticism has surpassed the current refereeing staffing. I think they need one more ref on the court.

The other thing, they have to fix the long-distance fouls that are now occurring. The pump fake threes and the shooter jumping into the defender. The moving screens that lead to the defender fighting through them and then running into the shooter (The Harden as I like to call it).

I think it depends on the coach. A guy like Pop? I really don't think there'd be any issues. Pop has a ton of respect around the league.

I also think when Lebron first went to Miami, although Spo was the coach, Riley was there also.

I think it may *only* be Pop. Maybe Kerr or Stevens. But the list wouldn't be long.

I always have thought if there was a team out of left field Bron may go to late in his career, if they don't get the banana boat team together, it would the Spurs.

I honestly think the game speed and the athleticism has surpassed the current refereeing staffing. I think they need one more ref on the court.

The other thing, they have to fix the long-distance fouls that are now occurring. The pump fake threes and the shooter jumping into the defender. The moving screens that lead to the defender fighting through them and then running into the shooter (The Harden as I like to call it).

The speed / athleticism of the game has CLEARLY become an issue for officials. That's why there are so many anticipatory-type whistles, IMO.

I think it may *only* be Pop. Maybe Kerr or Stevens. But the list wouldn't be long.

I always have thought if there was a team out of left field Bron may go to late in his career, if they don't get the banana boat team together, it would the Spurs.

It is impossible to envision, because LeBron wants to get paid at the max level. But could you imagine him running the point, replacing Parker?

Jesus--they'd be unstoppable. They might break GS's 73 win mark.

The Spurs are a unique situation in the NBA, in terms of the players sublimating their ego to Pop, for the greater good of the team. I view them [and Pop] as much the same as the Patriots in the NFL [and Belichick]. Players check their egos at the door. There aren't too many players who are willing to play defense at the level that Pop demands, or that are willing to take a coach riding them the way that Pop does to get the max out of them. Players tend to tune that out after awhile.

But not in San Antonio. I think it stems back to David Robinson--the team's star but one of the most low key guys in the NBA--buying in to what Pop was selling, which set the tone for the rest of the team. Duncan was the same way, and now so is Leonard. If the star buys in, how can you not buy in as someone on the roster in a lesser role?

When Pop is gone, I'm not sure that we'll ever see another team like that ever again. Great coaches? Sure. Great front offices? No doubt, there will be plenty of both. But that organization really has a unique recipe for success in the modern NBA.

LeBron is going to retire in LA.

He can make a boatload in endorsements and entertainment while finishing his career.

Lakers should be trying to trade Mozgov/Deng and tie them to young players in trades.

Find a team way under the cap like Philly or Sacramento give them Randle or Russell if they take Deng/Mozgov.

Lakers could sign Paul George/LeBron next offseason and if Lonzo Ball or DeAndre Fox are good boom.

Last offseasons stupid Deng/Mozgov signings could cost them LeBron.

19030726_10154551256456367_1278271652851822598_n.jpg

Rick Carlisle maybe? The list is definitely short.

The speed / athleticism of the game has CLEARLY become an issue for officials. That's why there are so many anticipatory-type whistles, IMO.

What bothers me also is the late whistles; the plays where the offensive guy misses the shot, so they decide to call a foul, where they clearly would have let the contact go if the shot was made.

He's like 1/10th as whiny as your hero LeBron.

Ehhhh I don't know. Curry for whatever reason gets a gigantic free pass from people when he does just as much whining and front running as anyone. Dances after every shot he makes or how often he'll shoot a 3 and turn to pose toward the crowd but miss. Then when things aren't going his way he'll sulk or throw a temper tantrum like in G6 last year.

I guess people are ok with it because he's relatively thin and went to a mid major so he's gotten this image as an underdog who beat the odds? He grew up a millionaire, son of a great NBA 3 point shooter, hanging out with NBA players and coaches all day growing up, is 6'3 and is insanely quick. Nothing underdog about him.

Ehhhh I don't know. Curry for whatever reason gets a gigantic free pass from people when he does just as much whining and front running as anyone. Dances after every shot he makes or how often he'll shoot a 3 and turn to pose toward the crowd but miss. Then when things aren't going his way he'll sulk or throw a temper tantrum like in G6 last year.

I guess people are ok with it because he's relatively thin and went to a mid major so he's gotten this image as an underdog who beat the odds? He grew up a millionaire, son of a great NBA 3 point shooter, hanging out with NBA players and coaches all day growing up, is 6'3 and is insanely quick. Nothing underdog about him.

Yeah, no. I'm not a fan of either team, but I'm a LeBron disliker, so I guess that should be stated. But LeBron complains about every call. And every dunk he turns and mean mugs someone.

I will agree with you that the shoot and turn before the ball goes in is annoying as hell only because my dumb ass 13-year old son has taken to doing that occasionally during his AAU games. I want to pull him off the floor by his ear...

But, in the spirit of full disclosure, his chucker of a dad has possibly done that once or twice during a pickup game. Sometimes, you just know the second it comes out of your hand. No need to watch really.

That OSU game was so blatant. From the game long Aaron Craft love-fest narrative to the way it was reffed, it was clear that something was up.

I remember a very bad second call against Sullinger but after that no one was allowed to touch him. Craft was clutching, slapping and bumping all game with no whistle. The thing that really bothered me though was that the refs purposeless took Dion out of that game.

Last edited: