Class of 2022 - Jai Smith (Ludden / NC) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 Jai Smith (Ludden / NC)

Sure you can!

Won’t anybody think about the #narrative? :rolleyes:
Girard would probably have crawled over broken glass to get to SU, that's why I don't
count him.

And I don't think it's a narrative when it's true that none of those guys ended up at SU
for a variety of reasons. Some sure, they want out. I get that; I left Syracuse too. But
all of them? It's the ones who'd fit a desperate need that they don't put much effort
into recruiting that are puzzling. Wouldn't a 7', 240 lb kid like Ballard PLAY right now?
And the chase of him was ... "well, Billy Edelin trains with him, we'll offer two weeks
before he makes his decision his senior year", by which time he's pretty set on FSU.
Smith a listed at 6'10", 240. Size SU desperately needs. Seemingly liked the SU
program. And 40 offers in, and not a sniff from SU? Add Aiden Igiehon to the list
too from two years ago.

Kev

Girard would probably have crawled over broken glass to get to SU, that's why I don't
count him.

And I don't think it's a narrative when it's true that none of those guys ended up at SU
for a variety of reasons. Some sure, they want out. I get that; I left Syracuse too. But
all of them? It's the ones who'd fit a desperate need that they don't put much effort
into recruiting that are puzzling. Wouldn't a 7', 240 lb kid like Ballard PLAY right now?
And the chase of him was ... "well, Billy Edelin trains with him, we'll offer two weeks
before he makes his decision his senior year", by which time he's pretty set on FSU.
Smith a listed at 6'10", 240. Size SU desperately needs. Seemingly liked the SU
program. And 40 offers in, and not a sniff from SU? Add Aiden Igiehon to the list
too from two years ago.

Kev
JB and his staff also have more knowledge about local kids than outside coaches. Not to imply anything about this kid, but I do know other local kids over time have not been offered for reasons other than basketball.

Jai is gonna be good. He’s 6’10” and up to 240! Staff dropped the ball on him.

Last edited:
Maybe the staff just isn't that high on the skillet of Jai? I can't think of any other reason why we wouldnt offer except for that. By all accounts hes a well respected kid/good student/hard worker and has the size. We lightly recruited him for a few years now and kept him on the back burner too long...once all the big fish started swarming him he probably lost some excitement on the hometown cuse. We had every opportunity to be a major player in this kids recruitment. At one point he said cuse would be highly considered but that we were playing games fwiw. Sometimes these things just don't work out and there could be many reasons why no offer but the whole spin of the kid not being interested in cuse is false. At least at one point in time...

Maybe the staff just isn't that high on the skillet of Jai? I can't think of any other reason why we wouldnt offer except for that. By all accounts hes a well respected kid/good student/hard worker and has the size. We lightly recruited him for a few years now and kept him on the back burner too long...once all the big fish started swarming him he probably lost some excitement on the hometown cuse. We had every opportunity to be a major player in this kids recruitment. At one point he said cuse would be highly considered but that we were playing games fwiw. Sometimes these things just don't work out and there could be many reasons why no offer but the whole spin of the kid not being interested in cuse is false. At least at one point in time...
Maybe Jai told SU early on he had no interest? It wouldn't be the first time a recruit used their ability to control the narrative (schools can't comment on recruits) to spin the story. Maybe he had local family that wanted him to go to SU and "SU was playing games" was easier to say to them instead of "I want to go away for school".

Maybe Jai told SU early on he had no interest? It wouldn't be the first time a recruit used their ability to control the narrative (schools can't comment on recruits) to spin the story. Maybe he had local family that wanted him to go to SU and "SU was playing games" was easier to say to them instead of "I want to go away for school".
This was fairly recent and not early on. Early on he was going to our elite camps. Who knows what happened here but at one point in time this kid was very much interested in getting a Syracuse offer. I do think that's probably changed now. It could be as simple as our staff has other guys they like better? Maybe they dont like that he's a non shooter? Who knows, but its a interesting recruitment.

This was fairly recent and not early on. Early on he was going to our elite camps. Who knows what happened here but at one point in time this kid was very much interested in getting a Syracuse offer. I do think that's probably changed now. It could be as simple as our staff has other guys they like better? Maybe they dont like that he's a non shooter? Who knows, but its a interesting recruitment.

Given we have not offered, it’s not a “recruitment” (by Syracuse) at all.
Interesting or otherwise.

Also - you don’t actually know if he was “very much interested in getting a Syracuse offer”, at all. That’s speculation.

And why would he NOT go to our Elite camps?
They’re in his backyard. Zero travel, just show up.

Given we have not offered, it’s not a “recruitment” (by Syracuse) at all.
Interesting or otherwise.

Also - you don’t actually know if he was “very much interested in getting a Syracuse offer”, at all. That’s speculation.

And why would he NOT go to our Elite camps?
They’re in his backyard. Zero travel, just show up.
Wrong. He was being recruited by Syracuse at different times... Just because there was no offer doesnt mean there was no "recruitment" Strange take. Not speculation that he had interest in getting a cuse offer when it came directly from the kid. The only thing correct here was him going to our elite camps was easy because of it being in his backyard.

Wrong. He was being recruited by Syracuse at different times... Just because there was no offer doesnt mean there was no "recruitment" Strange take. Not speculation that he had interest in getting a cuse offer when it came directly from the kid. The only thing correct here was him going to our elite camps was easy because of it being in his backyard.

I get that we (and all schools) recruit kids long before the offering stage.

And OF COURSE you “show interest” then, since you’re casting a wide net, at first.

But - given that we still haven’t offered, and there’s zero indication we suddenly will now, I don’t know how you or anybody could still call this a “recruitment” as it relates to Syracuse.

Clearly it’s not.
Or we would have offered by now.

I get that we (and all schools) recruit kids long before the offering stage.

And OF COURSE you “show interest” then, since you’re casting a wide net, at first.

But - given that we still haven’t offered, and there’s zero indication we suddenly will now, I don’t know how you or anybody could still call this a “recruitment” as it relates to Syracuse.

Clearly it’s not.
Or we would have offered by now.
It "was" a recruitment...but as you said, its clearly not a recruitment now. For whatever reason (and there could be many) we decided to go in a different direction. The offer isn't coming his way from us. But the narrative of him not being interested in us or the staff knowing he wasn't interested in cusr is false. He was...but probably doesn't care now that he has interest from just about everyone else.

1. Kid wants to go away
2. We have a secret commit that takes his spot.
(Could be him)
3. We want him at the 5, he wants to play the 3.
4. Kid doesn’t like the coaches/school
5. Staff doesn’t want the kid for non-bball reasons

1. Kid wants to go away
2. We have a secret commit that takes his spot.
(Could be him)
3. We want him at the 5, he wants to play the 3.
4. Kid doesn’t like the coaches/school
5. Staff doesn’t want the kid for non-bball reasons
We have a 7’5 center that JB says is the second coming. He’s on the JB diet since he weighs 137 lbs.

It seems as though there are reasons why the staff is choosing not to recruit this local product, that aren't deterring anybody else from doing so.

Which is too bad -- because this guy would singlehandedly solve the biggest issue we have as a team right now. Frustrating.

It seems as though there are reasons why the staff is choosing not to recruit this local product, that aren't deterring anybody else from doing so.

Which is too bad -- because this guy would singlehandedly solve the biggest issue we have as a team right now. Frustrating.

Offering Jai will make JB not play Buddy as many minutes? ;)

FER CHRISSAKES JIM!!!!! OFFER THIS KID ALREADY!!! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom