jalen | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

jalen

The kid is a bad teammate. Selfish me first. Before he committed he was talking about being a 1 or 2 and done. Now his plans are derailed and the first thing he does is delete all his Syracuse related stuff from Instagram. Says everything to me. Doesn’t care about Syracuse. He cares about himself. He pouted the entire game. Could care less if he stays or goes at this point.

The kid is a bad teammate. Selfish me first. Before he committed he was talking about being a 1 or 2 and done. Now his plans are derailed and the first thing he does is delete all his Syracuse related stuff from Instagram. Says everything to me. Doesn’t care about Syracuse. He cares about himself. He pouted the entire game. Could care less if he stays or goes at this point.
Yeah, nothing says bad teammate like unpinning pics from your Insta. :rolleyes:

If Jalen was still starting and Girard was seeing limited minutes off the bench, some of these same people whining about “short leash” would be whining about “anointed starters” and wanting more Girard.

Some sports fans don’t have anything in their repertoire beyond complaining about everything they can complain about.
It is interesting that on the football board people are wondering what took Dino so long to make personnel changes, and on this board, as you noted, the theme seems to be it was too early to make the switch. Tough job this coaching business.

Yes.

It obviously tells you "everything". It doesn't, for me. Because I'm not there in the locker room, JB's office, at practice, etc.

That’s fine and understandable. I just feel like if you’re going to take down everything related to the team you play for then you aren’t about that team. Which to me makes you a bad teammate.

If Jalen was still starting and Girard was seeing limited minutes off the bench, some of these same people whining about “short leash” would be whining about “anointed starters” and wanting more Girard.

Some sports fans don’t have anything in their repertoire beyond complaining about everything they can complain about.

im fine w the decision to start girard and sit carey. I just don't see the value add of being such a dick at the pc. Why couldnt jb just say that carey had a shot, he didn't play to expectation, so the next guy gets a shot to do better. Saying “because i wanted to win” infers that we certainly wouldve lost w carey, which may be true, but maybe not, and how does that benefit anyone. It certainly doesnt build up jalen, who is already struggling with confidence. What we all know this is really about, is jb not liking anyone questioning his authority, which means its all about his ego. Ill take the good with the bad, but he could chill out on being such an ass.

That’s fine and understandable. I just feel like if you’re going to take down everything related to the team you play for then you aren’t about that team. Which to me makes you a bad teammate.
it might mean everything as u say, on the other hand it might just be a teenagers reaction to a change in his status.

it will be interesting to see if Jalen leaves the program or if he re-groups himself, works hard, and emerges to seize the role jimmy says could be available for him.

Yeah, nothing says bad teammate like unpinning pics from your Insta. :rolleyes:

Of course not. However, it's interesting that while many of Girard's teammates were giving him kudos, etc. during some of Seattle's timeouts/stoppages of play, I did not recall once seeing where Carey slapped Joe's hands, high five, smile, etc. But rather having a generally stoic look, while standing there seemingly non-engaged...just an observation.

Last edited:
He took everything Syracuse related down. Cmon. Have you played team sports? If someone from my hoop team did that back in the day it would tell me everything.
he's still there, on the bench with his teammates. geno thorpe, at roughly the same stage of the season, had bailed on his. that has to tell you something.

one of the great things about jb is that he understands the passions of young men. even if words were exchanged in the locker room, he'll give the kid every chance to come back. we've seen it time and time again over the years. look at dion waiters, who famously told the coach to "elf off" live on tv during a game. now, in a dark period of his career, who does he turn to because he "knows he has my back?"

jalen will get his shot again . . . if he wants it

Just another reason that I love Howard Washington, pays attention during timeouts and is involved, walks out to players during timeouts and is encouraging them, he almost acts like another assistant coach, plus he may get a little time if Jalen books.

im fine w the decision to start girard and sit carey. I just don't see the value add of being such a dick at the pc. Why couldnt jb just say that carey had a shot, he didn't play to expectation, so the next guy gets a shot to do better. Saying “because i wanted to win” infers that we certainly wouldve lost w carey, which may be true, but maybe not, and how does that benefit anyone. It certainly doesnt build up jalen, who is already struggling with confidence. What we all know this is really about, is jb not liking anyone questioning his authority, which means its all about his ego. Ill take the good with the bad, but he could chill out on being such an ass.

CPR is not like it is in the movies. It's very violent and invasive. That's what it takes to bring someone back to life.

Carey is not progressing like anyone would hope. And is, apparently, not practicing as the coaches would hope. He didn't just arrive on campus, this has been going on for a while. I think JB sees a kid who is not doing the things that are asked of him in practice and in play and feels like he's running out of ways to get him to respond. Benching him and publicly saying he doesn't feel Carey gives us the best chance to win may make him "such a dick" or "such an ass" to you, but I see it as a last-ditch effort to try and get him to respond. Lighting a fire of "I'll prove you wrong," works with some kids. It may or may not work with Carey, but I think it's fair to say that what they tried the last year+ wasn't working either.

The idea that this is just about JB's ego is such a corny, short-sighted take.

Jalen still here whereas Gino Thorpe had bailed by now has to tell you something. Yeah, the analogy tells me that Gino (a late summer arrival as a 5th year grad transfer) wasn't here long enough to even unpack his belongings, and was never truly invested in JB or his program, etc. And, said screw this, I'm outta here ASAP! Jalen on the otherhand was recruited hard for an extended period of time by SU as a prep, then committed (when he became Orange at heart) well before arriving on campus. Not to mention, he has invested an additional 1 and 1/2 years or so of his blood, sweat & tears, so, quite a different scenario for sure. Hurrah though, he's still on the bench.

Last edited:
CPR is not like it is in the movies. It's very violent and invasive. That's what it takes to bring someone back to life.

Carey is not progressing like anyone would hope. And is, apparently, not practicing as the coaches would hope. He didn't just arrive on campus, this has been going on for a while. I think JB sees a kid who is not doing the things that are asked of him in practice and in play and feels like he's running out of ways to get him to respond. Benching him and publicly saying he doesn't feel Carey gives us the best chance to win may make him "such a dick" or "such an ass" to you, but I see it as a last-ditch effort to try and get him to respond. Lighting a fire of "I'll prove you wrong," works with some kids. It may or may not work with Carey, but I think it's fair to say that what they tried the last year+ wasn't working either.

The idea that this is just about JB's ego is such a corny, short-sighted take.

I offer that you can get the same results without the press conference stuff.

A lot of kids rated 75 or higher make it to the NBA - a lot kids highly rated don't make it in college - after a year a full year and this years practices it's pretty obvious he ain't gonna make a living playing basketball - transferring ain't gonna change that - at the same time I don't see how he can help us at all going forward

I don't buy the lack of confidence narrative being projected as Carey's issue. I see a player not following the game plan and deciding on his own to go one on one with no success. So comments regarding winning is more about playing winning basketball not winning one game. If you don't play the way "I" want you to play you won't play. That is what I see here plain and simple.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Jalen played 4 games in Italy with the starters, in practice, the exhibitions, and UVA. He's seen the court plenty. JB probably wants to give Girard some time to play with the main guys to get some continuity with the starters so we are ready down the line.

It's interesting people are worried about Carey, but did not feel the same way when something similar happened with Frank in 2016. In all reality JB probably should have made the move to Gillon sooner. This is why I think you're seeing Girard play as much as he is even when the game is already decided.
I didn’t like JB’s initially defensive and cranky comments about Carey at the beginning of the press conference either. It’s reporters’ jobs to ask the questions readers and fans want to know answers to. But that’s no surprise since JB has always been a bit thin skinned. However, if you watch the whole press conference, JB lightened up and pulled back and actually had some thoughtful and insightful things to say about Carey and Girard that fans should know and consider in terms of his thinking on anointing Girard the starter:

On Jalen: “It starts in practice. He has to play well in practice. Then he has to get an opportunity in games, which he will. And he has to play well. He hasn’t played well with the time he’s had. The best players are gonna play...The guys that are playing are the guys we feel can help us win.”

On Brycen: “It goes by what we see everyday in practice. He’s a very good shooter. He’s very athletic. He gets to the rim good. He’s learning how to play in college basketball, which is not unusual for freshman.”

“Joe’s not going to play like that every night... I mean, maybe he will. But we’ll see. We need Brycen to get better. I think he’s got a chance to really help us. He needs to.”

This was very telling about Girard:
“I think one reason Joe has had an easier adjustment is that he had to do everything in every game for four years. So he’s used to having the whole world on his shoulders every game for his last four years. Probably five. But he doesn’t have the whole world on his shoulders now. He’s got a lot of other guys out there that are good.”

I don't buy the lack of confidence narrative being projected as Carey's issue. I see a player not following the game plan and deciding on his own to go one on one with no success. So comments regarding winning is more about playing winning basketball not winning one game. If you don't play the way "I" want you to play you won't play. That is what I see here plain and simple.

Well, he's the head coach, so I've no problem there. I mean, JB has to know what his players particular strengths are, and as long as he allows them to play in accordance to same, all should be well. However, if Carey or any player for that matter isn't running the show as instructed/the way JB wants them to, but is somehow still producing and putting the team in position to win, well now, that certainly would be a horse of a different color...and quite interesting to see how JB handled that particular situation. :)

Well, he's the head coach, so I've no problem there. I mean, JB has to know what his players particular strengths are, and as long as he allows them to play in accordance to same, all should be well. However, if Carey or any player for that matter isn't running the show as instructed/the way JB wants them to, but is somehow still producing and putting the team in position to win, well now, that certainly would be interesting to see how JB handled that particular situation. :)
Sports is a result driven business, so if a player see an opportunity to make a play of course that is a good thing "IF" the player is right. I.E. a quarterback changing a play at the line if it works great, if it is a pick 6...well maybe it's time for the back up. So if Carey goes 3-3 and draws to 2 fouls on the opposing team center he is still starting. Decisions are judged by the results

Why are you bad mouthing the Kid. JB publicly shamed him.

I offer that you can get the same results without the press conference stuff.

We have no idea what the results will be yet. So that's a meaningless statement. Unless you're suggesting there are NO people who benefit from being pushed/challenged/held accountable publicly. In which case, you're just mistaken.

I, personally, don't expect Jalen to respond well to this. If he had changed his twitter bio to "Future starting guard at Syracuse University," then maybe I'd think he was someone who relished a challenge. I'm not sure that's his personality. But I also understand JB might be in a position where other approaches haven't worked so he's trying to shake the box and hopefully get something else out of him.

Finally got to watch the Colgate game today. Very unfair that this was the one that led to Carey's move to the pine. He hits Eli with a beautiful pass to start the game, and Eli missed the 14 footer. He makes that shot, and I guarantee much of this conversation goes differently. He hits Buddy for a three and Buddy missed. Probably shouldn't have taken the shot in the first place, but that's what Buddy is on the floor for.

Carey got blocked from behind on a fast break. Guess who else got blocked just a few moments later. Buddy. Carey got stripped. So did either Guerrier or Eli. Happens.

Half the team was sleep walking to start that game. I don't put all the onus on Carey for that. Especially Buddy. He did NOTHING until 8 minutes had passed in that game. Missed a three and watched two shot over him. I like Buddy and know he is a solid player who will be a contributor on both ends, but he got tired in that first half. He scored 17 that game (maybe a couple more, too lazy to look it up), but it sure felt like he gave up nearly that many, which is odd because he's a solid defender in the zone. I think the guards all need rotation to get them going.

Finally got to watch the Colgate game today. Very unfair that this was the one that led to Carey's move to the pine. He hits Eli with a beautiful pass to start the game, and Eli missed the 14 footer. He makes that shot, and I guarantee much of this conversation goes differently. He hits Buddy for a three and Buddy missed. Probably shouldn't have taken the shot in the first place, but that's what Buddy is on the floor for.

Carey got blocked from behind on a fast break. Guess who else got blocked just a few moments later. Buddy. Carey got stripped. So did either Guerrier or Eli. Happens.

Half the team was sleep walking to start that game. I don't put all the onus on Carey for that. Especially Buddy. He did NOTHING until 8 minutes had passed in that game. Missed a three and watched two shot over him. I like Buddy and know he is a solid player who will be a contributor on both ends, but he got tired in that first half. He scored 17 that game (maybe a couple more, too lazy to look it up), but it sure felt like he gave up nearly that many, which is odd because he's a solid defender in the zone. I think the guards all need rotation to get them going.

I doubt it was based on one game.

We got off to horrible starts against Carleton, Virginia, and Colgate. Horrible as in “scoring 1 point in 5+ minutes”. 3 straight games. Something had to change as far as starting lineups go. Carey was the obvious change IMO as Hughes, Buddy, and Marek have proven to at least be decent players at this level and we have no centers to overtake Sidibe.

I doubt it was based on one game.

We got off to horrible starts against Carleton, Virginia, and Colgate. Horrible as in “scoring 1 point in 5+ minutes”. 3 straight games. Something had to change as far as starting lineups go. Carey was the obvious change IMO as Hughes, Buddy, and Marek have proven to at least be decent players at this level and we have no centers to overtake Sidibe.

Yeah, horrible starts are kind of Syracuse's 'jam' to steal from the kids these days. Been doing it for awhile. All kidding aside, I was watching the game and wondering if the stupid clap and stand tradition actually contributes to that. I can't imagine any player wants to hear that go on for 5 minutes.

I'd like to see Girard and Carey get some minutes together. Our reliance on Buddy for big minutes is going to hurt defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom