jalen | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

jalen

Finally got to watch the Colgate game today. Very unfair that this was the one that led to Carey's move to the pine. He hits Eli with a beautiful pass to start the game, and Eli missed the 14 footer. He makes that shot, and I guarantee much of this conversation goes differently. He hits Buddy for a three and Buddy missed. Probably shouldn't have taken the shot in the first place, but that's what Buddy is on the floor for.

Carey got blocked from behind on a fast break. Guess who else got blocked just a few moments later. Buddy. Carey got stripped. So did either Guerrier or Eli. Happens.

Half the team was sleep walking to start that game. I don't put all the onus on Carey for that. Especially Buddy. He did NOTHING until 8 minutes had passed in that game. Missed a three and watched two shot over him. I like Buddy and know he is a solid player who will be a contributor on both ends, but he got tired in that first half. He scored 17 that game (maybe a couple more, too lazy to look it up), but it sure felt like he gave up nearly that many, which is odd because he's a solid defender in the zone. I think the guards all need rotation to get them going.

It's kind of a PG's job to make other players better and for whatever reason Girard appears to do that and Carey can't. Is it a coincidence all those guys started playing better once Girard came in the game? Highly unlikely IMO.

Getting his shot blocked at the rim is a problem though, as getting to the rim should be his main offensive weapon because he is not a good shooter. I do think we need another guard to play 20 mpg though. Looks like Goodine is going to get that shot instead of Carey though and I'm not sure if you saw any of the Italy trip, but Carey's performance there didn't leave me with much confidence coming into the season where as Girard and Goodine both played well there.

Yeah, horrible starts are kind of Syracuse's 'jam' to steal from the kids these days. Been doing it for awhile. All kidding aside, I was watching the game and wondering if the stupid clap and stand tradition actually contributes to that. I can't imagine any player wants to hear that go on for 5 minutes.

I'd like to see Girard and Carey get some minutes together. Our reliance on Buddy for big minutes is going to hurt defensively.

Agreed that I’d like to see how Girard/Carey looks.

Though I think with Carey you’ve gotta make sure you have shooters/scorers on the court with him. Something like Girard/Carey/Buddy/Hughes together might be the only combo with enough shooting to compensate for his lack of shooting, and it doesn’t seem that Buddy playing the 3 will be a thing this year.

It's kind of a PG's job to make other players better and for whatever reason Girard appears to do that and Carey can't. Is it a coincidence all those guys started playing better once Girard came in the game? Highly unlikely IMO. Getting his shot blocked at the rim is a problem though as getting to the rim should be his main offensive weapon as he is not a good shooter. I do think we need another guard to play 20 mpg though. Looks like Goodine is going to get that shot instead of Carey though and I'm not sure if you saw any of the Italy trip, but Carey's performance there didn't leave me with much confidence coming into the season whereas Girard and Goodine both played well there.

I watched a bit of the UVA game and the whole Colgate game, and that's the sum total of my exposure to SU hoops this year.

As for your question about all those guys starting to play better when Girard came in, it could actually be a coincidence. You've played before and you know how these things get rolling. Girard didn't all of sudden make Sid not throw a moving block/pick, or get Dolemite to hit that little jumper in the lane he shorted while Carey was in. Sid got the first basket after Girard came in off of an assist from Dolemite. SU really didn't do anything for the first 3 minutes Girard was in, so all I'm saying is the turn wasn't immediate, so it really could have been the bunch of them settling the heck down just by playing.

I like what I'm seeing from Goodine, but he's handsy, and will pick up a lot of unnecessary reaches which will result in him seeing the bench a bit quickly.

Finally got to watch the Colgate game today. Very unfair that this was the one that led to Carey's move to the pine. He hits Eli with a beautiful pass to start the game, and Eli missed the 14 footer. He makes that shot, and I guarantee much of this conversation goes differently. He hits Buddy for a three and Buddy missed. Probably shouldn't have taken the shot in the first place, but that's what Buddy is on the floor for.

Carey got blocked from behind on a fast break. Guess who else got blocked just a few moments later. Buddy. Carey got stripped. So did either Guerrier or Eli. Happens.

Half the team was sleep walking to start that game. I don't put all the onus on Carey for that. Especially Buddy. He did NOTHING until 8 minutes had passed in that game. Missed a three and watched two shot over him. I like Buddy and know he is a solid player who will be a contributor on both ends, but he got tired in that first half. He scored 17 that game (maybe a couple more, too lazy to look it up), but it sure felt like he gave up nearly that many, which is odd because he's a solid defender in the zone. I think the guards all need rotation to get them going.
Some truth in there.
My point during the game threads was: if he had been designated 'starter,' it kinda means you thought he had earned that role. Unless you're just fulfilling a recruiting pledge... Whatever. It makes little sense to go from Starter to Zero unless it's partially a punitive measure, and on that matter, we will prolly never be privy to the justification. It only bothers me that the former starter isn't given an opportunity to redeem himself at any point in a game against a pretty awful team. Even if it's for five minutes—to see how he responds—in the middle of a game, not at the opening tap. And maybe not at the Point. Find out something. Not playing him shows us nothing, and leaves even JB speculating and guessing about what is needed to get JC back into an effective role.

Just because Joji III provided a spark doesn't necessarily mean that Jaycee was the 'anti-spark.' Maybe he was. But, find out.

But, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Some truth in there.
My point during the game threads was: if he had been designated 'starter,' it kinda means you thought he had earned that role. Unless you're just fulfilling a recruiting pledge... Whatever. It makes little sense to go from Starter to Zero unless it's partially a punitive measure, and on that matter, we will prolly never be privy to the justification. It only bothers me that the former starter isn't given an opportunity to redeem himself at any point in a game against a pretty awful team. Even if it's for five minutes—to see how he responds—in the middle of a game, not at the opening tap. And maybe not at the Point. Find out something. Not playing him shows us nothing, and leaves even JB speculating and guessing about what is needed to get JC back into an effective role.

Just because Joji III provided a spark doesn't necessarily mean that Jaycee was the 'anti-spark.' Maybe he was. But, find out.

But, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

We don't know what happened at halftime the prior game, and Jalen got "Boeheimed" ever since.
We also don't know what he has, or has not - been doing in practice.

We DO know that JB says Jalen can earn PT, he stated that in a presser.
What he needs to do to earn that, probably happens in practice - which we wouldn't know about.

Jalen (and Howard Washington, and Braswell, and Jesse, and... ) all get a LOT more time playing hoops in practice, then they'll see in games -
so THAT is where they need to show out, to earn some PT when it counts.

JB isn't guessing or speculating at all.
He sees what the kid can, and can't, do in practice, every day.

I watched a bit of the UVA game and the whole Colgate game, and that's the sum total of my exposure to SU hoops this year.

As for your question about all those guys starting to play better when Girard came in, it could actually be a coincidence. You've played before and you know how these things get rolling. Girard didn't all of sudden make Sid not throw a moving block/pick, or get Dolemite to hit that little jumper in the lane he shorted while Carey was in. Sid got the first basket after Girard came in off of an assist from Dolemite. SU really didn't do anything for the first 3 minutes Girard was in, so all I'm saying is the turn wasn't immediate, so it really could have been the bunch of them settling the heck down just by playing.

I like what I'm seeing from Goodine, but he's handsy, and will pick up a lot of unnecessary reaches which will result in him seeing the bench a bit quickly.
It isn't a coincidence. It might not be to Girard's credit. The team might just play better when Carey isn't out there. Although I think Girard creates both a outside threat and a energy that is positive for the team.

Just another reason that I love Howard Washington, pays attention during timeouts and is involved, walks out to players during timeouts and is encouraging them, he almost acts like another assistant coach, plus he may get a little time if Jalen books.

That there is the natural mindset of a real point guard. Just wish he had some more athleticism to go along with it.

It isn't a coincidence. It might not be to Girard's credit. The team might just play better when Carey isn't out there. Although I think Girard creates both a outside threat and a energy that is positive for the team.

Well, that settles it.

"the team might just play better when Carey isn't out there" - I don't know what leads you to this. He dropped a literally perfect dime to Eli, right in the shooting pocket, and Eli just missed.

Listen, I'm excited for Girard. I want to see him start against a real team again to see how he handles it from the jump, and really do hope that we see him grow into what many here hope.

I'm just tired of the annual drama from our squad. Either develop the players you recruit to the point where you get what you want out of them, or figure out there's somewhat of an issue, or stop recruiting drama queens.

Well, that settles it.

"the team might just play better when Carey isn't out there" - I don't know what leads you to this. He dropped a literally perfect dime to Eli, right in the shooting pocket, and Eli just missed.

Listen, I'm excited for Girard. I want to see him start against a real team again to see how he handles it from the jump, and really do hope that we see him grow into what many here hope.

I'm just tired of the annual drama from our squad. Either develop the players you recruit to the point where you get what you want out of them, or figure out there's somewhat of an issue, or stop recruiting drama queens.

Point Guards are supposed to be the leaders of the team and should be the hardest workers. Our last 2 seem to be the ones that makes things worse. Enough of the combo guards, give me a real floor general. I don't care if they are 5'11 or whatever.

Point Guards are supposed to be the leaders of the team and should be the hardest workers. Our last 2 seem to be the ones that makes things worse. Enough of the combo guards, give me a real floor general. I don't care if they are 5'11 or whatever.

I'm on board that one for sure. Recruit basketball players, not tall long guys!

Well, that settles it.

I'm not at practice every day and I have no idea who is or isn't a drama queen. Carey started the first two games. After 9 minutes in both games, I think we had scored one hoop. call me crazy, but I don't think that is good. Couple that with the team starting to score when he is out of the game leads me to think the team plays better when he is out of the game. You think otherwise. You are entitled to your point of view.

I'm not at practice every day and I have no idea who is or isn't a drama queen. Carey started the first two games. After 9 minutes in both games, I think we had scored one hoop. call me crazy, but I don't think that is good. Couple with the team starting scoring when he is out of the game leads me to think the team plays better when he is out of the game. You think otherwise. You are entitled to your point of view.

Causation and correlation. Not the same thing. He got the ball to his teammates in positions they could convert. They didn't. Are you saying they don't like him so they intentionally missed?

Causation and correlation. Not the same thing. He got the ball to his teammates in positions they could convert. They didn't. Are you saying they don't like him so they intentionally missed?
I disagree completely with your premise. We must have watched different games. He most certainly did not get the ball to his teammates where they could score the ball. The coach agrees with me. I have no idea whether they like him or don't like him. As for causation and correlation, I think the results do speak for themselves. You want to live and die on the Jalen Carey mountain, God, I admire that.

I disagree completely with your premise. We must have watched different games. He most certainly did not get the ball to his teammates where they could score the ball. The coach agrees with me. I have no idea whether they like him or don't like him. As for causation and correlation, I think the results do speak for themselves. You want to live and die on the Jalen Carey mountain, God, I admire that.

Why can't they play together?

Then you missed the very first offensive play of the game, that I have described in detail 5 times already.

Why can't they play together?
Who? Carey and Girard? What position do you want carey to play? The 2? He can't shoot. If he isn't a pt guard, he isn't a player. He does play excellent defense but that is lost a bit when we don't press of play man. I would rather have the shooters out there. Plus, jalen just doesn't handle the ball well enough.

We have no idea what the results will be yet. So that's a meaningless statement. Unless you're suggesting there are NO people who benefit from being pushed/challenged/held accountable publicly. In which case, you're just mistaken.

I, personally, don't expect Jalen to respond well to this. If he had changed his twitter bio to "Future starting guard at Syracuse University," then maybe I'd think he was someone who relished a challenge. I'm not sure that's his personality. But I also understand JB might be in a position where other approaches haven't worked so he's trying to shake the box and hopefully get something else out of him.

i could use the exact same response to your meaningless post that anything could happen.

Last edited:
Who? Carey and Girard? What position do you want carey to play? The 2? He can't shoot. If he isn't a pt guard, he isn't a player. He does play excellent defense but that is lost a bit when we don't press of play man. I would rather have the shooters out there. Plus, jalen just doesn't handle the ball well enough.

What an excellent idea to bring in this guy to be our future PG. Can't shoot, has a weak handle and has minimal to no leadership skills. PGs are generally born not made.

What an excellent idea to bring in this guy to be our future PG. Can't shoot, has a weak handle and has minimal to no leadership skills. PGs are generally born not made.
Well, I can't disagree with that. He does have excellent defense skills. On a program that doesn't value them as much as other programs do. I think Carey's problem is that there have been times when the program could have worked with Carey to "fix" his short comings. With a bench full of guards, none of them really pt guards, there doesn't appear to be room for him to work out his problems.

We don't know what happened at halftime the prior game, and Jalen got "Boeheimed" ever since.
We also don't know what he has, or has not - been doing in practice.

We DO know that JB says Jalen can earn PT, he stated that in a presser.
What he needs to do to earn that, probably happens in practice - which we wouldn't know about.

Jalen (and Howard Washington, and Braswell, and Jesse, and... ) all get a LOT more time playing hoops in practice, then they'll see in games -
so THAT is where they need to show out, to earn some PT when it counts.

JB isn't guessing or speculating at all.
He sees what the kid can, and can't, do in practice, every day.
There’s more speculation involved than you want to recognize. If there weren’t, JB might have known JC would have these problems now and that JG would have been a better option from jump. He’d know when great practice will translate to good games. He doesn’t know, because none of our players are so consistent that it’s a ‘guarantee.’

If jalen hadn’t been doing well in practices since July, why was he still starting vs Virginia? Speculation that he’d still represent a better option over JG? It can’t be that JB didn’t know that JG would outperform jalen, right? This was all according to plan.

Well, I can't disagree with that. He does have excellent defense skills. On a program that doesn't value them as much as other programs do. I think Carey's problem is that there have been times when the program could have worked with Carey to "fix" his short comings. With a bench full of guards, none of them really pt guards, there doesn't appear to be room for him to work out his problems.
He is the best defensive guard on the team, that you can't teach.. now he no spot on the squad?

I remember years ago when PGs weren't expected to be one of the best shooters on the team. But when we don't have other options, offensive skills outweigh the defensive ones.

Then you missed the very first offensive play of the game, that I have described in detail 5 times already.
you have described the one point guard play he made adequately, but the point is he does not do enough not that he can not occasionally make a play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom