Jay Bilas Top 10 coaches | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Bilas Top 10 coaches

I went back and looked at the brackets during Wooden's run and there were plenty of good midwest teams. Some times he had tougher games in the semis than the finals. But it really doesn't matter- whoever came out of the east/mideast he beat them too.

It's interesting that you mention Bobby Knight. Knight has often said that his 1975 team was the best team he ever coached. They lost to UK in the regional final. Guess who beat Kentucky in the national final for his 10th title? With a starting lineup of Dave Meyers, Richard Washington, Marques Johnson, Pete Trgovich and Andre McCarter. Good players but not superstars.

Wooden won ten titles in 12 years and in one of those years lost in OT in the national semifinal to NC State and David Thompson. They blew that game, he should have had 11 out of 12. That's damn near perfection - do u really believe these other coaches could have improved upon that?
i doubt you would remember this, but the Ville had UCLA beat. UCLA was forced to foul a guy at the end of the game. He was 100% on the season. He missed. UCLA went on to win.

Making the ncaas 23 out of 25 is the most impressive stat there. Jb falls well short there, mostly because of the last 15 years or so when NIT and bubbles became a semi regular question. Perhaps if izzo coached another 20 years his numbers would also fade.
Agreed, but MSU has had just as many years that they got in that they probably shouldn't have as we do.

i doubt you would remember this, but the Ville had UCLA beat. UCLA was forced to foul a guy at the end of the game. He was 100% on the season. He missed. UCLA went on to win.
I do remember it cuz that was the year SU went to the F4 as well. I went back to get the exact details.

Louisville was up 74-73 with 20 seconds to go in OT when Terry Howard of Louisville went to the line to shoot a one and one. He was a reserve that averaged 1.7 points a game but had hit all 28 FTs he attempted that year. Of course he missed. UCLA called a TO and Wooden drew up a play for the game winner. The added element for L'Ville (28-2 coming into the game with UCLA) was they would have played Kentucky in the final.

I don’t think other coaches do better but I do think they may have done just as well. Goodrich, Alcindor, Walton, Marques Johnson makes coaching a lot easier. 8 of Wooden’s titles had one of those players on it. The weakest teams talent wise were likely the 2 champions between Alcindor and Walton. Even those teams had Sidney Wicks.

1975 had three NBA top 3 draft picks on the team. Yes, only one panned out but they were drafted based on the talent they showed in college. The next season Gene Bartow took 2 of those guys and lost in the Final Four vs Indiana.

Wooden made 3 NCAATs in his 1st 13 seasons. He didn’t make a Final Four until year 14. You need talent to win titles and that talent did come without the money.
Goodrich, Wicks and Marques Johnson were big difference makers? Every national championship team has good players on it. Btw how did Gene Bartow fare as a replacement for Wooden?

I agree with you that Wooden could never do now what he did then. But I disagree with you in that no other coach could have done back then what Wooden did. And that's why he's the best of all time.

Believe me I don’t like speaking positively of Knight, but I guess the primary reason is the 3 titles vs 1 (which I know was based on a difference of one single jump shot).
He also had an undefeated season.

jay seems triggered. And saying the 30 wins streak is AT A MID MAJOR, weakens his argument.
Last year, Bilas had jb in his top 5 active coaches. It would seem to be tough to be out of the top 10 in his lifetime in just one year. And Jay, in your lifetime only one coach has more wins. And at the end of the day, isn't that what we are talking about?

It's a talking head's top ten list of all time coaches.

Who tf cares?

And, I love how people here just *know* why Bilas *really* kept him off his list.

Good lord.

JB is wealthy, a HoFer, has a title, has a court named after him, has a few gold medals, and I'm sure will get a statue after he's done. I think he'll survive this.

Maybe he has him in the top 15 instead of top 10. No biggie. It's a guy's opinion. But what you did do is give him every reason to run this stupid thing back so he can make sure y'all catch the vapors again to get clicks.

It's a talking head's top ten list of all time coaches.

Who tf cares?

And, I love how people here just *know* why Bilas *really* kept him off his list.

Good lord.

JB is wealthy, a HoFer, has a title, has a court named after him, has a few gold medals, and I'm sure will get a statue after he's done. I think he'll survive this.

Maybe he has him in the top 15 instead of top 10. No biggie. It's a guy's opinion. But what you did do is give him every reason to run this stupid thing back so he can make sure y'all catch the vapors again to get clicks.
Some of us care. The better question is, why do you care what we care about? No one made you read it. And for sure, no one made you comment on it. Taking it a step more, just who do you think you are to tell us what we should care about?

Some of us care. The better question is, why do you care what we care about? No one made you read it. And for sure, no one made you comment on it. Taking it a step more, just who do you think you are to tell us what we should care about?

Its my opinion. It’s an internet sports message board.

And please go on about the people on this board telling others what to care about. if I can quote a famous 1980s anti-drug PSA, “I learned it by watching you!”

Just put me on ignore and keep shouting at the clouds, man. Life goes on.

Its my opinion. It’s an internet sports message board.

And please go on about the people on this board telling others what to care about. if I can quote a famous 1980s anti-drug PSA, “I learned it by watching you!”

Just put me on ignore and keep shouting at the clouds, man. Life goes on.
Just the type of remark I would expect from you. Give us all a lecture on what we should care about and then blame us for not liking it. Worthless. The correct answer from you to me would have been something like you know, you are right. But I just think who cares what Bilas thinks. That is what an adult would say. Keep being you. And since your posts are generally worthless, I will put you on ignore.

Just the type of remark I would expect from you. Give us all a lecture on what we should care about and then blame us for not liking it. Worthless. The correct answer from you to me would have been something like you know, you are right. But I just think who cares what Bilas thinks. That is what an adult would say. Keep being you. And since your posts are generally worthless, I will put you on ignore.

Listen, you are making it personal. I don’t care, man.

Honestly, put me on ignore like you said. Legit, hope nothing but the best for you, dude.

I usually like hearing and reading Bilas, but he didn't really seem the same this year (who was?). Also, I think JB really pissed in Bilas's cheerios with his commentary this year and that has had a big effect.

I usually like hearing and reading Bilas, but he didn't really seem the same this year (who was?). Also, I think JB really pissed in Bilas's cheerios with his commentary this year and that has had a big effect.
He was mostly silent about our run to the sweet 16 and buddy's tournament. And that is all about Jb saying that he knew more about basketball than Jay.

He was an all-time great coach, but he went off the rails later in his career.
Sure. But 3 NC's and an undefeated season earn you a place on these lists. Going off the rails later on doesn't negate those. How many others have both? I didn't like the guy but think he should be judged on his accomplishments for something like this.

Sure. But 3 NC's and an undefeated season earn you a place on these lists. Going off the rails later on doesn't negate those. How many others have both? I didn't like the guy but think he should be judged on his accomplishments for something like this.

I agree with this sentiment, as I have no problem compartmentalizing the pertinent matter at hand, but that's me. Same deal relative to Pete Rose, and, based upon his on field accomplishments, how he should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. One of the best, grittiest ballplayers of all time in my opinion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom