Jay Williams: "Who wants that final #1 seed?" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Williams: "Who wants that final #1 seed?"

I think that if we beat Duke and Wisconsin loses in the BIG10 semis, we will get the nod for the last #1, even if we lose to NC/Virgina in the final.

The rest of our resume is just too good.

I suggest Villanova "backdoors themselves" regardless of outcomes...;)
I think Villanova did, in fact, just backdoor themselves this afternoon

Duke is 4-5 on the road and 3-2 on neutral courts and some talking heads think they could be a 1 seed???? Talk about a team living on reputation!

...by definition you cannot control your own destiny. Your destiny is already set in stone and is going to happen whether you like it or not. You cannot control it.
Can I use this? LOL

We are closer to a #1 by winning the ACC, than Duke or Virginia would be if they won the ACC.

I guess there are still 7 players here, ranked by "control"

1. Wisconsin - I think they control the destiny right now

2. Syracuse - Steps into the #1, if win ACC and Wisky loses

3. Kansas - I hate to put them here with 8 losses, but they have been annointed if they win the B12

4 / 5/ 6 Duke / Virginia / Michigan - All could be in the discussion if the above 3 do not win their tourney's

7 Villanova - If everybody else poops the bed this weekend (and early), they can backdoor themselves back into discussion.

i tee'd this up because you used poop and backdoor in the same post.

seriously though if we win the acc tourney we will have likely beaten Dook and Virginia/UNC, i think that makes us a sure fire 1 in the east

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 18m
Kansas still has a shot at No. 1 seed, if win Big 12 tourney; so do Michigan and Wisconsin.

It's insanity.

Has anyone taken even a second to look how crappy they did out-of-conference......who cares they only lost 4 games in conference. Lots of teams manage that amazing feat each year.

I'm gonna rip my hair out if one more person says that. They shouldn't even be on the two line.

The only team in the nation less impressive out-of-conference is Michigan.

Kansas:
Duke - Won
Villanova - Lost
Colorado - Lost
Florida - Lost

New Mexico - Won
San Diego State - Lost

Seriously, that's not even outstanding for a mid-major.

Michigan:
Iowa State - Lost

Florida State - Won (Overtime)
Charlotte - Lost
Duke - Lost
Arizona - Lost

Stanford - Won

So they both proved what, that they're insanely mediocre out-of-conference? Definitely one-seed material.

What else is new, talking heads that actually talk out of their rears. I dont even believe a 1 seed is that important anyway. I hope the FSU game was a sign that this team is back on track but for now I have cautious optimism. Any protected seed is fine by me, just win. So really, who gives a rats arse.

calm-your-tits.jpg

jekelish said:
That SU hater Seth Davis is at it again: @SethDavisHoops: Syracuse's only loss at full strength this season was at Duke. Only 4 losses in all. ACC tourney should seal it. KU next in line. ...wait, he's saying SU should be next in line for a 1 seed? Oh. Um, damn you Seth anyway!

Well it's hard to say much else if they have a brain. Nova lost today and if we win ACCT it means Duke and UVA loss. That knocks out 3 teams. That only leaves a couple other possibilities like the B10 winner.

Ha, I would've retired after '05 or '10 if I were you.

Maybe an argument could be made for our 2010 situation (Arinze's questionable status dropped us to the fourth #1 and earned us the tough draw), but I've still not gotten over 2005.

A refresher:

One team went 25-5 (with losses to #2, #7, and three unranked teams) and won its conference tournament.
Another team went 27-6 (with losses to #5, #20, #23, #18, #6, and #15; no bad losses) and won its conference tournament.

Which resume deserved the #1 seed? Which resume deserved #4?

Ugh.

I feel like a lot of the analysts are just assuming that we'll flame out in the ACC tournament based on how we've looked over the last 10 or so games, so therefore, we won't get a 1 seed. They aren't saying that, but I feel like that's a big reason we aren't being mentioned. We've played well in like one of our last 10 games, so they assume we won't play well again, and therefore, we'll take ourselves out of the picture.

It's insanity.

Has anyone taken even a second to look how crappy they did out-of-conference...who cares they only lost 4 games in conference. Lots of teams manage that amazing feat each year.

I'm gonna rip my hair out if one more person says that. They shouldn't even be on the two line.

The only team in the nation less impressive out-of-conference is Michigan.

Kansas:
Duke - Won
Villanova - Lost
Colorado - Lost
Florida - Lost

New Mexico - Won
San Diego State - Lost

Seriously, that's not even outstanding for a mid-major.

Michigan:
Iowa State - Lost

Florida State - Won (Overtime)
Charlotte - Lost
Duke - Lost
Arizona - Lost

Stanford - Won

So they both proved what, that they're insanely mediocre out-of-conference? Definitely one-seed material.

At the end of the day, Kansas had 3 top 50 wins out of conference. So did we. And I think they've looked like a better team than us in conference play. It also helps their case that of all the games they lost, only one came against a team outside the top 50, whereas we had two losses outside the top 150.

At the end of the day, Kansas had 3 top 50 wins out of conference. So did we. And I think they've looked like a better team than us in conference play. It also helps their case that of all the games they lost, only one came against a team outside the top 50, whereas we had two losses outside the top 150.

Who is the third top 50? UTEP?

Who is the third top 50? UTEP?

I believe Toledo, but I'm not looking at it right now. I think I remember Toledo being #38 though.

Edit: Yeah, Toledo is #38. UTEP #95.

I believe Toledo, but I'm not looking at it right now. I think I remember Toledo being #38 though.

Edit: Yeah, Toledo is #38. UTEP #95.

With that schedule how do they make #38. Impressive.

What else is new, talking heads that actually talk out of their rears. I dont even believe a 1 seed is that important anyway. I hope the FSU game was a sign that this team is back on track but for now I have cautious optimism. Any protected seed is fine by me, just win. So really, who gives a rats arse.

calm-your-tits.jpg

I liked the post, because it is a good attitude to hove.

I would like to be like that as well, but I obviously I am not. I will argue seeds until Sunday night (and after)

I tend to agree with him - Wisconsin with the slight edge. But Syracuse is not far behind (if at all), so I can see the comittee making that decision.

So either

MSG
1. Wisconsin
2. Syracuse

OR

MSG
1. Syracuse
2. Villanova

Would the Committee realistically put 'Cuse in MSG to Wisco's 1 seed? In '03, they made #1 seeded Okla play us in Albany, but I don't think they'll let that go down again. I suspect that the Orange might get the 2 seed to Wichita State in the Midwest to prevent a pure road game for the #1 seed.

I was thinking the same thing lol. No idea. They have 4 "quality" wins (meaning top 100).

Huh, outside of their own conference can't figure out who on that schedule would be Top 100.

Good for the Rockets I guess. That conference should get 3 bids then I guess.

I feel like a lot of the analysts are just assuming that we'll flame out in the ACC tournament based on how we've looked over the last 10 or so games, so therefore, we won't get a 1 seed. They aren't saying that, but I feel like that's a big reason we aren't being mentioned. We've played well in like one of our last 10 games, so they assume we won't play well again, and therefore, we'll take ourselves out of the picture.

I also believe this to be part of the case. If we beat NC St and Duke, you will certainly see the tide change in our favour.

I don't get ESPN in Ottawa (although I am able to get the games through a cable package). But CBS Sports comes in one of the basic extra packages, so I tend to watch much of my college basketball highlights on that each night.

Jay Williams may be bad... but Mateen Cleaves puts everybody to shame.

Yes. Yes he is.

I'm just amazed at how often he doesn't seem to understand the question and answers what he wants the question to be.

Q: Can Doug McDermott carry Creighton the way Kemba Walker?
Greenberg: No. He doesn't start with the ball in his hands. He has to have people get him the ball - are they going to be capable of that? (i.e. Kemba dominated the ball on his own as the PG)
Jay: If they get a few favorable match-ups in the tourney, and their other star players are hitting threes, they can do it.

(Something like that)

Ummmm, not the question Jay. Yeah, in a dream scenario where everyone else is playing out of their minds of course they can do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom