Jay Wright should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright should do the right thing and step down now.

How was is it a huge choke job? Wisc led the game most of the way, Nova's largest lead was like 6, far from a choke job.

The entire original post is sarcasm, pointing out how ridiculous it is to think Boeheim should step aside immediately, we're mediocre, and we're in a horrible, rapid, downward spiral.

What do the sanctions have to do with JB not wanting Jalen Brunson who wanted to come to Syracuse?

What do the sanctions have to do with JB not going after Ja'Quan Newton who wanted to come to Syracuse?

What do the sanctions have to do with the fact we had no backup after Quade Green turned us down?

What do the sanctions have to do with the fact JB won't recruit outside of the I-95 corridor and Canada?

The sanctions hurt but they aren't the problem with recruiting. It's JB not giving all the energy needed to go and see these kids and give them attention.

The board recruiting guru expert is saying he is hearing we aren't even going to make Hopkins the lead on the recruit who decommitted from Georgetown and in his opinion believes GMac will be given the lead unless Hopkins himself pushes the envelope.
JB isn't giving it his all on recruiting and its hurting.

Also, Mike Hopkins hasn't even been down to NJ to see our top 2018 PG target. We are sending Red Autry to do what our best recruiter should be doing.
Got something against Coach Autry?

It's amazing to me how fans want to keep burying their head in the sand, put their hands over their ears and keep repeating to themselves that everything is going great. We WERE a mediocre team LAST year that most would say didn't even belong in the tourney. We got hot and made a run which is great. But some of you love excusing everything going on based on that improbable run (still no 'ship) and even bringing up the 2013 team that last I checked was still in the Big East. 42 losses in 3 years (and a complete meltdown at the end of 2014) under the ACC umbrella. One NCAA appearance in the last 3, no ACC tourney wins, disturbing recruiting, JB's imminent departure, key players not developing etc. But carry on, we made the FF last year so better not complain I guess.

Got something against Coach Autry?
He is not Coach Hopkins. You use your best. Recruits like their ego stroked. If Calipari is watching, Sean Miller is watching, Jay Wright is watching, and Red Autry is watching. We aren't stroking the kids egos like they want. You send your big dogs.

Autry has done fine with other recruits but when you want elite guys you need your HC or HCIW to be lead.

What do the sanctions have to do with JB not wanting Jalen Brunson who wanted to come to Syracuse?

What do the sanctions have to do with JB not going after Ja'Quan Newton who wanted to come to Syracuse?

What do the sanctions have to do with the fact we had no backup after Quade Green turned us down?

What do the sanctions have to do with the fact JB won't recruit outside of the I-95 corridor and Canada?

The sanctions hurt but they aren't the problem with recruiting. It's JB not giving all the energy needed to go and see these kids and give them attention.

The board recruiting guru expert is saying he is hearing we aren't even going to make Hopkins the lead on the recruit who decommitted from Georgetown and in his opinion believes GMac will be given the lead unless Hopkins himself pushes the envelope.
JB isn't giving it his all on recruiting and its hurting.

Also, Mike Hopkins hasn't even been down to NJ to see our top 2018 PG target. We are sending Red Autry to do what our best recruiter should be doing.

You can't go after as many people when you don't have as many scholarships, so it impacts the overall recruiting strategy. You can say they have not handled the sanctions well, and have a poor game plan for it, and I wouldn't argue... But either way, they're impacting recruiting.

It's amazing to me how fans want to keep burying their head in the sand, put their hands over their ears and keep repeating to themselves that everything is going great. We WERE a mediocre team LAST year that most would say didn't even belong in the tourney. We got hot and made a run which is great. But some of you love excusing everything going on based on that improbable run (still no 'ship) and even bringing up the 2013 team that last I checked was still in the Big East. 42 losses in 3 years (and a complete meltdown at the end of 2014) under the ACC umbrella. One NCAA appearance in the last 3, no ACC tourney wins, disturbing recruiting, JB's imminent departure, key players not developing etc. But carry on, we made the FF last year so better not complain I guess.
I presume from your name that you graduated in 2005. Which means you were a sophomore aAnd around 19 when we won our championship in 2003.

Unfortunately a lot of kids, or relative kids like you, as opposed to myself who started at SU in the fall of 1977, or JBs third year as HC, think every year we should at least be contending for the championship.

That's just not realistic.

Furthermore we missed one in 1987 by a miraculous shot from the quite new 3 point line.

Etc.

He is not Coach Hopkins. You use your best. Recruits like their ego stroked. If Calipari is watching, Sean Miller is watching, Jay Wright is watching, and Red Autry is watching. We aren't stroking the kids egos like they want. You send your big dogs.

Autry has done fine with other recruits but when you want elite guys you need your HC or HCIW to be lead.
Hopkins is primarily a west coast recruiter. I'm not sure where Autry is from without looking it up but he should be considered number two assistant coach now in terms of longevity.

If Autry likes the kid then Hop can look at him then coach B.

always get your get your "guy fieri" fans .think of all the diners, dives and drive-ins this dude has visited. have you ever once heard him complain about the food ? the service? the prices ? no. it's always delish !

EAT_ENW_035_GuyFieri_THUMB2_RAW.0.0.png

for once just look into the camera and say "that really sucked ! "

You can't go after as many people when you don't have as many scholarships, so it impacts the overall recruiting strategy. You can say they have not handled the sanctions well, and have a poor game plan for it, and I wouldn't argue... But either way, they're impacting recruiting.
These guys are Sophomores. They weren't impacted by sanctions at all. I mean seriously.
Recruiting has been impacted by sanctions but it hasn't killed us at all.
JB dropped the ball this cycle with the guards. Sanctions HAD NOTHING to do with the fact we went all-in for Quade Green and had no backups. We lost to UK because Calipari is a snake oil salesman and we were using GMac. GMac vs. Calipari is a 1 seed vs. 16 seed and that wasn't fair to GMac.
We had no backup. We needs guards and the fact we where we are is on the staff.
2018 isn't going to get better unless Hopkins gets more active.

Sanctions aren't killing us as much as we are being outworked and making strategic mistakes. If sanctions were a problem we wouldn't have flipped Battle from Michigan.

Hopkins is primarily a west coast recruiter. I'm not sure where Autry is from without looking it up but he should be considered number two assistant coach now in terms of longevity.

If Autry likes the kid then Hop can look at him then coach B.
Hopkins is our prime recruiter. If he is a west coast recruiter than he is useless for us. We don't recruit the West Coast right now its all I-95 corridor and Canada.

Hopkins is a better recruiter than Autry. Plus he is the HCIW. If we want to tell a kid we are serious it should with Hopkins leading the recruitment not Autry.

So if my initial post in the other thread was reactionary in nature, which it certainly was, there's enough of a grain of truth in what I initially said there for it to span over six pages.

Wow, six whole pages. Congratulations, good for you

I presume from your name that you graduated in 2005. Which means you were a sophomore aAnd around 19 when we won our championship in 2003.

Unfortunately a lot of kids, or relative kids like you, as opposed to myself who started at SU in the fall of 1977, or JBs third year as HC, think every year we should at least be contending for the championship.

That's just not realistic.

Furthermore we missed one in 1987 by a miraculous shot from the quite new 3 point line.

Etc.

Well, you presumed wrong (and have no idea what the 05 is for) since I have been watching Syracuse BBall for 30 years (yes, I watched the Keith Smart jumper live and cried afterwards) -- so I know exactly what I am talking about and what I am seeing clear as day with the program. But that fact you just had to presume I didn't have the knowledge base you do tells me all I need to know. So carry on.

Last edited:
Hopkins is our prime recruiter. If he is a west coast recruiter than he is useless for us. We don't recruit the West Coast right now its all I-95 corridor and Canada.

Hopkins is a better recruiter than Autry. Plus he is the HCIW. If we want to tell a kid we are serious it should with Hopkins leading the recruitment not Autry.
Then why have assistant coaches scouting kids? Let's just buy a clone machine for JB. And a wayback machine too to make him 50 again.

/S

Well, you presumed wrong (and have no idea what the 05 is for) since I have been watching Syracuse BBall for 30 years (yes, I watched the Keith Smart jumper live and cried afterwards) -- so I know exactly what I am talking about and what I am seeing clear as day with the program. But that fact you just had to presume I didn't have the knowledge base you do tells me all I need to know. So carry on.
Well it was a LOGICAL guess. The fact that you are NOT a relative newbie to the SU program is even a sadder situation.

BTW Coach Hop grew up in Southern California. That's why he is primarily a west coast recruiter, or was. Also why USC was wooing him for a HC job, but realized he would return to SU.

What made our tournament run a miracle?
We were very good that year, and we peaked at the right time. Duke could be that team this year.

The entire original post is sarcasm, pointing out how ridiculous it is to think Boeheim should step aside immediately, we're mediocre, and we're in a horrible, rapid, downward spiral.

O I know, but Wisc pretty much outplayed Nova.

I love this thread. All I heard from all the trolls and JB bashers was " why can't we be like Nova." "I want Jay wright as my coach". Get out of town people. Nova is over hyped and so is Jay Wright. Badgers close game on 15-5 run

BTW Coach Hop grew up in Southern California. That's why he is primarily a west coast recruiter, or was. Also why USC was wooing him for a HC job, but realized he would return to SU.

Can you name the west coast kids that Hop brought in? Trying to learn off of your large tree of knowledge.

Obviously Jay Wright isn't the answer for Villanova. Huge choke job as a favorite. They've only made it to one Sweet Sixteen in the last seven years. They're in a downward spiral, winning a full FIVE fewer tournament games this year as opposed to last year. Villanova should push him out so they can expedite the transition to the future of Wildcats basketball.

Last year's championship was just a mirage that masks the downward trend of their program since making the Sweet Sixteen four out of five years from 04-05 through 07-08.

Their recruiting is in a dangerous spot, too. They only have three commits for next year, and one of them is a TWO-star.

Sorry, Jay, but you need to leave right now before things get any worse and it's tough for Villanova to rebuild to the glory of yesteryear.

Dumb post. Jay wright COACHED his team over 4 months to a #1 seed. Got beat by a wisky team that no way should have been given and 8 or 9 seed.

Obviously Jay Wright isn't the answer for Villanova. Huge choke job as a favorite. They've only made it to one Sweet Sixteen in the last seven years. They're in a downward spiral, winning a full FIVE fewer tournament games this year as opposed to last year. Villanova should push him out so they can expedite the transition to the future of Wildcats basketball.

Last year's championship was just a mirage that masks the downward trend of their program since making the Sweet Sixteen four out of five years from 04-05 through 07-08.

Their recruiting is in a dangerous spot, too. They only have three commits for next year, and one of them is a TWO-star.

Sorry, Jay, but you need to leave right now before things get any worse and it's tough for Villanova to rebuild to the glory of yesteryear.
Beat me to it. How can I give it a LOVE it instead of a like?

Nova loses a lot. It'll be interesting to see how good of a coach people think he is when he has a lot less talent and a lot less wins.
So much for the 4 year guys theory

Can you name the west coast kids that Hop brought in? Trying to learn off of your large tree of knowledge.
We don't recruit the West Coast as a priority now.
Hop's big wins recently were Donte Greene in Baltimore, Scoop and Rick in Philly, and MCW in Boston.

Hopkins is our best recruiter and isn't being deployed which doesn't make sense. Reading Francis last post about Huggy Bear really points out the problem.

I have concerns, namely:

1. Surviving the penalties against the program and the coaching transition to resume being as successful as ever.

2. Adjusting to the ACC and recruiting in our new conference long-term.

3. Whether or not Hopkins will be successful.

I'm not a huge lover of JB, I hate playing 100% zone and it drives me nuts when he doesn't come out of it when someone is lighting us up from three. I don't like his personality, and I'm not a huge fan of what I've seen from his character behind the scenes first and second hand over the years. (Mostly just being a jerk.)

That said, the best chance at accomplishing our goals as a program come from JB going out on his terms while still successful.

The purpose of this thread was not trolling, it was to make the point that people are being crazy because they're upset by a "bad," season. Bad by our standards, of course, was to miss the tournament by ONE spot, be the #1 overall seed in the NIT, and win 19 games. Disappointing, for sure, but not exactly a "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!" situation.

I think he's very good, but I think people just put way too much weight in one year. They gave him too little credit before last year, too much credit after last year, and now he'll get criticism for an early exit which is fair but will be overstated.

I think you express the feeling of many SU fans. Not thrilled with a lot about JB but thrilled with what he has accomplished. Haters see the sky as falling. What is JB leaving 1 year early really going to accomplish? Is Hopkins going to be able to take the returning roster and incoming players and turn the team around to a top 10 team? Top 25? On this date, mid March, recruiting is slim pickings. Is there anybody left that can "save" the program?

I see the point of the OP was that a lot of what Wright has accomplished are the same thing haters use to point out how bad JB is. I think I heard commentators say that Villanova has been bounded by the 2nd round numerous times and 3 of them has been as a #1 seed. Haters would say that it shows JB's system doesn't work. He is a horrible coach, blah, blah blah. And with all the statistics the haters post, I haven't seen anyone of them say that the sanctions didn't hurt. That most any other coach would have done better. Yeah, the FF run was miraculous but again how many other coaches with that roster could have done. it