Jay Wright should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright should do the right thing and step down now.

Nonsense. 11 seeds have made the final four. We would have beat MSU. I have been around the block with this program. We have been here before. The sky is falling. And every time, we have come back strong. Now, there is a difference this time. I will grant you that. JB won't be here to fix it. but a long look at us, the last 7 years has been as good as it gets for this program. The sky isn't falling. Ebbs and flows.

Geez, I paid you a compliment too. Wow. "We would have beat MSU." I mean we will never know but that's about as bad a matchup as it gets. Izzo's best 3 point shooting team maybe ever and their good rebounding. OK, so we want to be a George Mason or VCU and shock the world? Come on, man. I'm not stupid. Gotta do better than that.

Is it a miracle when we lose in the first round as a 2-4 seed? I sure hope so!

Geez, I paid you a compliment too. Wow. "We would have beat MSU." I mean we will never know but that's about as bad a matchup as it gets. Izzo's best 3 point shooting team maybe ever and their good rebounding. OK, so we want to be a George Mason or VCU and shock the world? Come on, man. I'm not stupid. Gotta do better than that.
Actually I don't. they were such a good team they couldn't beat the piece of crap that we put 90 on and beat by 25. Jb is 4-1 against Izzo. i wouldn't be surprised if Izzo took a dive to avoid more shame. We will never know who would have won that game. So I'm sick of hearing people say that we got a break with them losing. We showed up for the game. They weren't there.

But to answer the question. We were a 10 seed. It WAS a miracle. It had never happened before and probably never will again. Not to mention MSU going down opened things up big time, obviously. Virginia then forgot how to play basketball during the comeback and Malachi went nuts.

We still beat a 1-seed to get to the Final Four. Who was guarding them when they "forgot how to play basketball?" Who was putting a run on them to turn up the heat? Who was in the press that gave them fits? Who recruited Malachi Richardson? Who coached him all year? If he didn't go nuts, would he still be here? If he was still here this year, think we would have won a few more games and made the tournament?

But, nah, a 1-seed that went undefeated at home and 6-1 on neutral floors prior to that game just forgot how to play basketball and damn if we weren't just the luckiest team ever to happen to be in position to pick up that win.

Sure, it was lucky that Michigan State lost... But we've had our share of bad luck the last several years, too, with the obvious cases being Arinze and Fab. People are so quick to forget about that in evaluating the state of the program, but so quick to remember the good luck to discount SU's accomplishments.

SoBeCuse, as a Syracuse fan, why is it such an agenda for you to discredit the Final Four run last year? You are pushing the narrative you want to push... instead of recognizing Syracuse playing well you discuss it as a "miracle run," "lucky that we didn't play MSU," "Virginia forgot how to play," etc. You know you can still be frustrated with the current state of the program over the past few years while still appreciating we had a fun/great tourney run last year, right?

That's such a joke. The same thread title? Come on. Now your stupid thread is going to get mine locked, and there's a ton of intelligent insight on both sides in there.

Instead of choosing to insert yourself into that conversation, you choose to pull a "look at me, look at how much of a jerk the other guy is" which accomplishes nothing.
My goodness. I may be wrong in my PM assertion that few people under the chronological age of 18 post here.

So what do you propose we do?

Allow Boeheim free reign? No timetable?

So far he's done nothing to give us any reason to believe his system works in the ACC. We've been a middle of the pack squad since joining which is beyond unacceptable.

So far he's given us no reason to believe recruiting will uptick. It's been steadily declining under his leadership (or lack thereof) aside from 1 or 2 potential NBA talents brought in per year, which should be the baseline for a program like ours.

If anything, comments from top recruits about JB and his style would lead anyone to believe we may not have hit rock bottom on the recruiting trail under him just yet.

Are we ever going to be ranked in the foreseeable future again? How is Syracuse rarely being in the Top 25 in basketball acceptable?

It's been 3 years of mediocrity with a noticeable decline in recruiting.

The Final Four was a band-aid on a hemhorraging program. We desperately need a new doctor.
I was under the impression that JBs last season is NEXT season. Perhaps I missed posts where that was changed. I WAS HOSPITALIZED AGAIN for 10 or 11 days and missed the board's posts in their entirety during that period.

So we have 3 mediocre years in a row with losses in the teens each season, no ACC tourney wins, and a recruiting class that would be middle of the pack in a mid major conference -- but since we had an improbable cinderella run in the tourney last year (still falling short of course of the ultimate goal), we are supposed to forget we have been a very mediocre ACC team and say that all is well :/ SMH.

So what do you propose we do?

Allow Boeheim free reign? No timetable?

So far he's done nothing to give us any reason to believe his system works in the ACC. We've been a middle of the pack squad since joining which is beyond unacceptable.

So far he's given us no reason to believe recruiting will uptick. It's been steadily declining under his leadership (or lack thereof) aside from 1 or 2 potential NBA talents brought in per year, which should be the baseline for a program like ours.

If anything, comments from top recruits about JB and his style would lead anyone to believe we may not have hit rock bottom on the recruiting trail under him just yet.

Are we ever going to be ranked in the foreseeable future again? How is Syracuse rarely being in the Top 25 in basketball acceptable?

It's been 3 years of mediocrity with a noticeable decline in recruiting.

The Final Four was a band-aid on a hemhorraging program. We desperately need a new doctor.
Two Final Fours in three seasons.

So we have 3 mediocre years in a row with losses in the teens each season, no ACC tourney wins, and a recruiting class that would be middle of the pack in a mid major conference -- but since we had an improbable cinderella run in the tourney last year (still falling short of course of the ultimate goal), we are supposed to forget we have been a very mediocre ACC team and say that all is well :/ SMH.
Yep spot on post. The narrative that many here can't come to grip with. 42 losses in three years.

No. Only thing I admit to is that I want Syracuse to actually be good at basketball again. ...and this ain't it - hasn't been for a few years. Doesn't look to be next year.
Yeesh. Two Final Fours, 2013 and 2016, the latter TOTALLY UNEXPECTED, and less than 24 hours after our last game of the 2016-17 season you are predicting that the 2017-18 season, the last one of the second all time winning Men's D-1 Basketball coach's career will be a bomb.

Unreal.

Where is our top rated recruited class like we had in 2008?
Flynn/Scoop/Greene/Jackson were all freshman we all knew it wouldn't be easy that year. They had all the hype and were young. We lost Devo in nonconference play.

2007-2008 we all saw potential with young guards and bigs.
We have no guards outside of Battle now like then.

To equate these situations similarly is to bury your head in sand. Our recruiting has stagnated. Go listen to Francis or RF.

We are for a tough road because JB doesn't recruit like he once did and we are in a transition.
Gee, ya think that the largely bogus NCAA sanctions and re-sanctions had something to do with this?

While Ped State in FB, Louisville with the hooker scandal and most importantly North Carolina's decades of academic infractions seem to be going by the wayside as per NCAA punishment.

Not to mention all the s e x ual scandals other schools have, sometimes involving female athletes being abused by both players AND their administration.

SoBeCuse, as a Syracuse fan, why is it such an agenda for you to discredit the Final Four run last year? You are pushing the narrative you want to push... instead of recognizing Syracuse playing well you discuss it as a "miracle run," "lucky that we didn't play MSU," "Virginia forgot how to play," etc. You know you can still be frustrated with the current state of the program over the past few years while still appreciating we had a fun/great tourney run last year, right?

Oh I appreciate it for sure. They earned it and it was a special run! However, I'm not naive enough not to realize we got a break and that Virginia/Gonzaga melted down. You sometimes need those breaks.

OK, a Final Four is not a mediocre year. I'm sick of this talk. If we won 28 games and lost in the first round, people would be up in arms and saying tournament performance is what counts. You can't have it both ways, and we're not going to win 30 games and go deep every single year. Let's not forget that last year's team was 23-14 with a Final Four, and got into the tournament despite going 4-5 without Boeheim during his suspension. That team was 19-9 with Boeheim at the helm.

Secondly, Malachi would still be here if not for our run. So to discount the Final Four AND rip their recruiting approach/results is utterly unfair.

A very mediocre ACC team? 5th in the conference in wins in that span, in by far the toughest conference ever assembled. You can't expect to be a perennial top-2 team in a conference that has UNC, Duke, Louisville and UVA. You can say Virginia doesn't fit in that group historically, but they were a 1 or 2 seed each of the last three seasons and a 5 this year.

That's fifth while dealing with NCAA penalties, too. We are not mediocre, we have not had a mediocre last five years, and the sky is not falling. It's raining and there's some thunder in the distance, but we don't need to panic.

Of course they will think that. They have had an amazing nucleus the past few years and probably will make the Final 4 again. Maybe even the title game again.
And having NO NCAA sanctions yet despite DECADES of academic machinations which were essentially fraud has nothing to do with that, eh?

And having NO NCAA sanctions yet despite DECADES of academic machinations which were essentially fraud has nothing to do with that, eh?

I sure hope they get punished hard but I don't think these players had anything to do with that stuff.

Gee, ya think that the largely bogus NCAA sanctions and re-sanctions had something to do with this?

While Ped State in FB, Louisville with the hooker scandal and most importantly North Carolina's decades of academic infractions seem to be going by the wayside as per NCAA punishment.

Not to mention all the s e x ual scandals other schools have, sometimes involving female athletes being abused by both players AND their administration.
What do the sanctions have to do with JB not wanting Jalen Brunson who wanted to come to Syracuse?

What do the sanctions have to do with JB not going after Ja'Quan Newton who wanted to come to Syracuse?

What do the sanctions have to do with the fact we had no backup after Quade Green turned us down?

What do the sanctions have to do with the fact JB won't recruit outside of the I-95 corridor and Canada?

The sanctions hurt but they aren't the problem with recruiting. It's JB not giving all the energy needed to go and see these kids and give them attention.

The board recruiting guru expert is saying he is hearing we aren't even going to make Hopkins the lead on the recruit who decommitted from Georgetown and in his opinion believes GMac will be given the lead unless Hopkins himself pushes the envelope.
JB isn't giving it his all on recruiting and its hurting.

Also, Mike Hopkins hasn't even been down to NJ to see our top 2018 PG target. We are sending Red Autry to do what our best recruiter should be doing.

Last edited:
Obviously Jay Wright isn't the answer for Villanova. Huge choke job as a favorite. They've only made it to one Sweet Sixteen in the last seven years. They're in a downward spiral, winning a full FIVE fewer tournament games this year as opposed to last year. Villanova should push him out so they can expedite the transition to the future of Wildcats basketball.

Last year's championship was just a mirage that masks the downward trend of their program since making the Sweet Sixteen four out of five years from 04-05 through 07-08.

Their recruiting is in a dangerous spot, too. They only have three commits for next year, and one of them is a TWO-star.

Sorry, Jay, but you need to leave right now before things get any worse and it's tough for Villanova to rebuild to the glory of yesteryear.

How was is it a huge choke job? Wisc led the game most of the way, Nova's largest lead was like 6, far from a choke job.

Millennials.

Can't stand how they post.

Hate to hire them.

Can't shoot them.

We..Are...DOOMED!!!
Some are very cool of course.

Others are spoiled brats who are amazingly anti-female. Witness the rise of the men's rights movement; often going to the point of not just harassing women but committing felonies both online and in person. (Can you say date rape drugs?)

Why do i miss all the good threads.

I sure hope they get punished hard but I don't think these players had anything to do with that stuff.
And our players had nothing to do with Fab Melo, may he RIP, and certainly not with Bernie Fine.