JB and a Plan ??? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go. I'll add that he was busted by his daughter.
Busted for what? The article only talks about how strange the abrupt ending to his tenure was.

LOL JB did not know we would struggle this year. They talked up the team in the offseason.

Buddy was quoted as saying their goal was to finish in the top three of the conference.

Sick of the political like spin.
Axe didn’t even challenge the comment.
I get why but he should have laughed at the comments atleast.

JB knew we would struggle this year. Just say we didn’t have the season we expected but the kids are good kids and have stayed out of trouble and played their guts out.

I would sympathize if the guy was humble nobody wants the team to struggle but when you spin everything it just causes the comments to be actually be analyzed.

Follow me on this ride...Tin foil hat and all...

After the 21-22 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins will be fired from the University of Washington.
Before the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins returns to Syracuse as its lead assistant.
After the 22-23 NCAA Basketball season JB retires as Syracuse's head coach
Before the 23-24 NCAA Basketball season Mike Hopkins is promoted to Syracuse Head Coach.
Hop is a slap in the face to Red, GMAC and Griff. If he comes back one of them gets dumped. IF the ironclad means a current staffer it should be Red. IF it isn't optics on many levels don't look good.

Hop is a slap in the face to Red, GMAC and Griff. If he comes back one of them gets dumped. IF the ironclad means a current staffer it should be Red. IF it isn't optics on many levels don't look good.
Hop reeks to me like USC hiring Lane Kiffin or Steve Sarkisan as Football coach just because they were around when Pete Carroll was the HC.

They wanted Carroll results and didn’t realize Pete Carroll was the guy not the assistants.

Hopkins has shown he is okay as a HC but him or the current assistants aren’t JB.
Get the best HC we can get.

Hop reeks to me like USC hiring Lane Kiffin or Steve Sarkisan as Football coach just because they were around when Pete Carroll was the HC.

They wanted Carroll results and didn’t realize Pete Carroll was the guy not the assistants.

Hopkins has shown he is okay as a HC but him or the current assistants aren’t JB.
I too want the best guy but I think the rumored agreement will include giving a current assistant a shot in the big chair.

I have a question - for those who don’t want Red. What is your reasoning as to why you think he wouldn’t be a good coach ? (I have no favorite to be the next coach)
Red is my choice - especially if the next man up has to have a JB tie. Red has been a loyal soldier for a long time and cut his teeth outside of the JB umbrella, at least a little bit. I also hope he retains Griff.

Hop at least has head coaching experience and crushed it in recruiting. None of the assistants impress me much as a potential head coach. Picking one of them would be a huge mistake, IMO.

You know both of these coaches have high major D1 jobs currently and are viewed among the brightest minds in the game?

You know both of these coaches have high major D1 jobs currently and are viewed among the brightest minds in the game?
Both failed to recreate Camelot at USC.

I want the best HC candidate we can get. Not keep in house.
RF can explain why.

Both of those coaches rehabed this careers after getting away from USC and worked under the best coach in CFB.

Maybe he was just trying to get his wife off of the news cycle for a traumatic event.
This is a legit excuse i hadn’t thought of.

I think we're reading into this too much. The only thing I took from this was the fact that JB has a timeline in his head, and he's discussed it with JW. That's the ironclad part. My guess is after next year. It's probably the reason why JB has spoken so highly of this recruiting class - he feels it's part of him setting up the next coach, whoever that might be.

Just a gut feeling, knowing JW (I know him a little bit), he's going to take a long hard look outside the program. I do think Red will be considered. I actually think Red would be successful here. But JW will do his due diligence.

I hope that JB taking it upon himself to go on the show was with the blessing of JW and not some passive aggressive Machiavellian move we don't yet fathom. I mean I doubt it but pretty much doing a 180 over two days seems weird to me. Maybe he wanted to be seen as being enthusiastic rather than it looking like he got pushed out. Who the hell knows.

My two cents, based on nothing except the interview, comments from knowledgeable posters, and common sense:

JB will retire after next year. JW has promised him that the current assistants will be given serious consideration to replace him. That's the plan. Picking Boeheim's successor is a career-defining hire for an AD, so I doubt JW would be willing to just say "we're giving it to Autry" over a year in advance. And if that was the plan, why not make him HCIW to reduce uncertainty and maintain continuity?

The Hop scenario isn't that far-fetched, but only if he's already been told he's being fired after the season. In which case, we'll know within the month.

I have a question - for those who don’t want Red. What is your reasoning as to why you think he wouldn’t be a good coach ? (I have no favorite to be the next coach)
With the current state of the program, we need someone who is at least somewhat proven. If we are staying in house, has to be Hop.

Red is my choice - especially if the next man up has to have a JB tie. Red has been a loyal soldier for a long time and cut his teeth outside of the JB umbrella, at least a little bit. I also hope he retains Griff.
Our recruiting has stunk since the 2016 class. Red has been a part of that. Why would things get better?

I'm going to tread lightly, because I know you have a personal relationship here.

But the answer is simple -- mediocre recruiter, no experience as a head coach, no proven track record, poor teacher of the game.

The only [and literally, I mean the ONLY] thing weighing in his favor vs. external candidates who are more qualified is that he's got ties to the program. And as far as evaluative criteria go, that should be pretty far down the list in terms of prioritization.

And it will be, when JW evaluates candidates. Do I think Red will make a short list of 4-5 candidates? Absolutely. Will he stack up against external candidates with head coaching success? Not even close.

I’d guess next year is his last. But wouldn’t he want to go out with both of his boys on the roster? I really hope not…

I'm going to tread lightly, because I know you have a personal relationship here.

But the answer is simple -- mediocre recruiter, no experience as a head coach, no proven track record, poor teacher of the game.

The only [and literally, I mean the ONLY] thing weighing in his favor vs. external candidates who are more qualified is that he's got ties to the program. And as far as evaluative criteria go, that should be pretty far down the list in terms of prioritization.

And it will be, when JW evaluates candidates. Do I think Red will make a short list of 4-5 candidates? Absolutely. Will he stack up against external candidates with head coaching success? Not even close.
It sounds like there is no list. The successor has been chosen. In their minds.

Last edited:
I can’t keep it a secret any longer. I will take the job. I’m a Syracuse graduate and I attended almost all of JB’s practices his first three years at Manley Field House when I was a student at SU. Coach used to close practice to fans, but he let me stay. I would sit under the basket. Occasionally, I would go one on one with Rosie. He couldn’t guard me on the perimeter even though I was (am) only 5’6”. The fans will like my style. I love to pressure 95 feet the entire game. Although, some games I only used five players and pressed the entire game (true). I played both man and zone. I have to admit, I watched nearly every Rick Pitino training video. Every practice is one hour of individual fundamentals and one hour of team work. I won several games with last second out of bounds plays. There wasn’t a defense that a team could play that I didn’t have an offense or set plays to run against it. I played man, zone (2-3, 1-3-1, matchup, box and 1, triangle and 2, three man and 2 zone). I just turned 65 last month and now eligible for Medicare so I could save the University health care costs. I’m already receiving a pension so I will take a little less. My two stepsons are out of college eligibility so I won’t be coaching my kids. I do have a seven year old grandson who would be eligible when I’m 76. That’s still younger than JB is now. My left knee is a little cranky, but otherwise I’m still in excellent health. My staff will only be individuals who are active members in Syracusefan. PM me if you’re interested. I’m anxious to get started. I’m hoping JW will announce the change after the season is over. FYI, I promise not to badmouth my centers at post game press conferences and they will not have to cover the corners. Go Orange!

One things for sure.

Whoever JB's replacement turns out to be, most of the fanbase will be unhappy because it won't be "their" guy.

Some of you want Hop. Some want Red. Some want GMac. Some want new blood.

Can't please everyone.

It sounds like there is no list. The successor has been chosen. In their minds.

No, it doesn't sound like that at all from the content.

But I agree that your interpretation can be inferred from the misleading headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom