JB and a Plan ??? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't you [or weren't you] a season ticket holder at UW?

I seem to recall you being a Hop enthusiast when he first got there, and going to a lot of games.

To be clear, I'm not accusing you, and not even directing this at you specifically [fan of your posts] -- I'm just saying that I take Hop enthusiasts believing that he's going to be gift wrapped the job here after flopping at UW with a grain of salt.
I took no offense to what you were saying. I was just clarifying that I have no love for UW. I would call myself a Hopkins enthusiast. I think he is a good coach and I think he could recruit well for us and has struggled to build the same relationships on the west coast in a shorter period of time and did not hire the right assistants. Having said that I think he is our best option. It comes down to him or Red IMO. I don't think the AD wants to do a national search and hire someone outside with all of our assistants going away and distancing ourselves from Boeheim and his career. That could imply Boeheim's was not a success and we are not proud of our past. If he hires Hopkins it is continuing our great tradition and success etc. That is the direction I think they will go. Then if we struggle for a few years they can hire someone from the outside.

I took no offense to what you were saying. I was just clarifying that I have no love for UW. I would call myself a Hopkins enthusiast. I think he is a good coach and I think he could recruit well for us and has struggled to build the same relationships on the west coast in a shorter period of time and did not hire the right assistants. Having said that I think he is our best option. It comes down to him or Red IMO. I don't think the AD wants to do a national search and hire someone outside with all of our assistants going away and distancing ourselves from Boeheim and his career. That could imply Boeheim's was not a success and we are not proud of our past. If he hires Hopkins it is continuing our great tradition and success etc. That is the direction I think they will go. Then if we struggle for a few years they can hire someone from the outside.

Understood.

Disagree with your prediction for how things unfold, as Wildhack has ZERO incentive to not do a national search, but all good.

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning to a retirement announcement by JAB by the end of March. I was more 20/80, but I'm moving to about 40/60 right now.

A national search will be done, it would be stupid not to do it. My guess is we will get a coach who currently is not on the bench. Whether it’s Hop or someone else remains to be seen.

How is Autrys son doing this year? I don’t remember where he is going to school.

Our recruiting has stunk since the 2016 class. Red has been a part of that. Why would things get better?
I hear you and I'm not sure they will (though I think recruiting has been hampered by style and the family reunion more than people want to recognize). My belief is we will do lip service to a national search but like pretty much every program where a legend has stepped down - our first replacement will be an insider and if that is the case I want Red over Hop or Gmac.

We are a top 10 job, imo (or close to it).

You should have an impeccable resume with proof that you can run a program and can recruit and be a driver of fundraising and you have a healthy ego so that you WANT this crown.

What are we doing here? We are a storied program with six final fours and a title. We haven't had a losing season since people were at Woodstock (the first one!).

That's EXACTLY why Wildhack won't settle for an in-house candidate.

SUTomcat has a great post about this the other day. He expects JW to aim high and swing for the fences. So do I.

It would make no sense for him to artificially delimit the talent pool to a group of lesser quality candidates.

If we are going out of house, who are the main targets? Oats? Wes Miller? Cooley? Maybe musselman?

I share in your line of thinking. It isn't what I prefer, as I think hiring outside is clearly the way to go for reasons mentioned here repeatedly. However, IMO, I believe JW will look at what UNC chose to do, as well as Duke and simply believe; if they did it, certainly SU can. And, as JB spewed again in his unsolicited interview with Axe and his it's only "one bad year" mantra, unfortunately, similarly share in that sentiment.

Moreover, I lean towards the belief that JW operates along the path of least resistance. I, in part, base this on football and the choice to retain Dino, even with 5 out of 6 losing seasons. I realize there are many folks, perhaps, even the majority, that feel that the off season assistant coaching moves, etc. were out of the park type. However, I'll await to see the actual results to determine if indeed that was the case, translating to more W's than L's on the field. Or, as I apprehend, JW simply & inevitably throwing good money after bad.

I hear you and I'm not sure they will (though I think recruiting has been hampered by style and the family reunion more than people want to recognize). My belief is we will do lip service to a national search but like pretty much every program where a legend has stepped down - our first replacement will be an insider and if that is the case I want Red over Hop or Gmac.
IMO talent is so much more important than X & Os over the course of 30 games. Red should get an interview but if he doesn't have an outsider top notch recruiting assistant in his pocket, then Hop IMO is the better choice. Maybe get Bama's lead recruiter since he is from NY. Or the next Rob Murphy, or Rob Murphy himself.

Honestly if you told me that for the next 5 years that we would have JB as HC plus Hop and Murph as assistants, I would be happier than having Red or GMac as HC.

Red is my choice - especially if the next man up has to have a JB tie. Red has been a loyal soldier for a long time and cut his teeth outside of the JB umbrella, at least a little bit. I also hope he retains Griff.
Red, Gmac as top assistant, Griff, and Devo

Folks, this is no longer about JB or what you think of JB. It’s now about Wildhack. If you trust him, stop worrying. If you don’t, you’re free to your opinion and I’m sure everyone would like to know your reasoning.

Moreover, I lean towards the belief that JW operates along the path of least resistance. I, in part, base this on football and the choice to retain Dino, even with 5 out of 6 losing seasons.
I've had those thoughts as well based on retaining Dino, going interim with Women's B-Ball after he had no choice but to let Hillsman go, and then moving Gait over for Men's Lacrosse. I'm not saying it's been all bad, but minimizing change as much as possible.

HC hiring Priority 1 should be inject a LOT of excitement back into the program for fans/recruits.
Get some top HS players and fill the seats.
Hiring from within won't do that IMO.
Therefore I agree with those believing JW needs to/will "swing for the fences".
Maybe the Big Splash hire can't be had, but regardless that should be the goal.

I am now thinking the "plan" JB spoke of has nothing to do with selecting or predetermining his successor. It is only about the timing of his departure. That there is an understanding between him and JW on when he will retire. As for hiring a successor, that is another plan altogether, at least I hope so.

I've had those thoughts as well based on retaining Dino, going interim with Women's B-Ball after he had no choice but to let Hillsman go, and then moving Gait over for Men's Lacrosse. I'm not saying it's been all bad, but minimizing change as much as possible.
Football- Dino was never getting fired, buyout was two high and it was never JW’s decision alone. What he did do was say Dino we are going to put you in the best position to succeed and increased the salary pool for assistants. He brought in two slam dunk hires.

Womens b-ball was toxic, pool of candidates was not good based on the timing. Smart decision to wait a year. How all of they was handled is a different story but I truly believe JW learned something that day. You won’t see that type of mess again.

Lacrosse- I think Gait was one of the best candidate available for lax. Im
Not sure who the other candidates were.

All being said I think JW will swing for the fences and not settle. It’s his butt on the line Here. Taking an internal candidate is the risky choice.

I am now thinking the "plan" JB spoke of has nothing to do with selecting or predetermining his successor. It is only about the timing of his departure. That there is an understanding between him and JW on when he will retire. As for hiring a successor, that is another plan altogether, at least I hope so.
Yeah, everything just lines up for after this season, except for the large class coming in (which could be just stocking the pantry for the next coach with options - maybe half the recruits stick if there is a coaching change), but his kids leaving, his contract allegedly up, his buddies retiring, him saying he doesn't want a farewell tour, etc.

Who honestly thinks we are still a “Top 10” program?
Either you have totally Orange colored glasses or you are still living in the early 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom