JB called out Moyer in the PC | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

JB called out Moyer in the PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well so is our coach ...sometimes.

You can't tell your coach that mommy and daddy told you not to play. You just can't. If medically or pain-management wise, he couldn't go, fine but you can't have parents telling kids to sit.
100% correct

First off, the Moyer's are great people. Those in this thread who are saying for them/ Matt to hit the bricks are making me sick. Matt and his family were very loyal to SU after the sanctions came down but you know, what have you done for me lately?

I'm not sure how anyone can watch the presser and not say JB's questioning Matt's heart. JB said (I'm paraphrasing obviously) that he (JB) had a sprained ankle as a player and jumped off both ankles. That's more than strongly implying that Matt could do the same. Also, saying 60% of Matt would help the team is implying that Matt has that much in the tank but doesn't want to use it.

I think what probably happened here is Matt has been playing at much less than 100% (you know, because he has such little heart:rolleyes:). JB indicated that Matt looked fine in a couple practices but we don't know how he's feeling. What that also tells me is JB was blindsided by Matt's inavailability and that clearly bothered JB.

Matt's mom said that Matt was having problems pushing off on the bad ankle. In her Facebook post, she basically said that Matt playing at less than 100% isn't helping the team. I don't think it's a pain management thing; it sounds like Matt couldn't push off the ankle and felt like he couldn't play effectively. Obviously, JB is the person who needs to decide of Matt needs to shut it down after talking to the medical staff. I agree with that. But why are they trusting Bourama to say he doesn't think he can go and not Matt?

I clearly think JB was pissed off about the timing of all this and what he felt was Matt's father undermining JB's authority. Maybe there could've been better communication along the way.

My issue with it is: what does the presser accomplish, other than JB stroking his own ego and asserting his authority? As others have said, couldn't JB have simply said Matt wasn't available today after practicing twice this week? Just leave it at that. The rest of it hurts the relationship with the parents and probably with Matt too.

I don't think we are trying to show Matt the door to free up a slot for next year but this kind of crap by JB is a big reason why players have been finding the exit. And without Hop as a buffer to soothe things, this sort of thing could crop up more often.
Just because the Moyers were loyal to the program doesn’t mean they now have a license to interfere with said program.

I wouldn't waste my time with him. The funny thing is, just the other day, someone here connected the two of us because I defend JB's coaching.

Could have been me but probably not because similarities end there.

I watched the PC prior to seeing this thread and didn't think what JB said was a big deal. I thought it was an honest answer to a question and if I was a member of the Moyer family I wouldn't be offended.

I also didn't read through all of the conversation but I gotta say I was impressed it got to 15 pages

Do I think we have a title run/final 4 in us...no. However, looking back on this team we will probably be saying the same thing, in that there's 2 NBA draft picks on it and a Frank Howard who has the potential to be G-like.

The staff should absolutely go balls out to make the tourney. Get in and anything can happen with our defense and a backcourt that has the potential to carry the team in a guard driven tournament.

Our lack of depth doesn't matter as much given timeouts and extended halftime. Plus, we really, really need a boost of relevance after missing it last year.
Alsacs has declared the season over. Let's all move on to spring sports.

Just because the Moyers were loyal to the program doesn’t mean they now have a license to interfere with said program.
Their son is hurt.
They aren’t bitching about PT or micromanaging his career.
They are advising their kid not to play when isn’t feeling good enough to play.
JB can be pissed about this privately but saying anything publicly does nobody any good.
Moyer’s parents aren’t wrong to advise their son if he is hurt.

I watched the PC prior to seeing this thread and didn't think what JB said was a big deal. I thought it was an honest answer to a question and if I was a member of the Moyer family I wouldn't be offended.

I also didn't read through all of the conversation but I gotta say I was impressed it got to 15 pages
Its a doozy, go ahead, treat yo-self.

We can't even enjoy a win. Could something like this divide the team? Didn't Moyer help recruit Bazley, both of them from Ohio?

Yeah...and that's ashame that JB didn't hang it up last year. I'm looking forward to that day.

Three or four more years and you’ll get your wish.

Then the University can set about on the high-risk attempt of trying to find a successor by picking the hottest of the currently available mid major crop.

SU basketball was built on three legs; the emergence of The Big East, ESPN and JBs coaching genius. The Big East is no longer anything close to what it was. There are now 40 or 50 games on TV on a weekend. and we are in a much stronger conference dominated by schools not named “Syracuse”.

The odds are long that the future will be as good as the past and that’s the day you think you are looking forward to?

He's gotta think the NBA season is over after today's result.
All I said and it was poorly worded was this season had no expectations.
We have exceeded those expectations I used the wrong word to make that point but my the gist of my point was this season had no expectations.

At this point this isn't even about whatever JB said to me.

I crack up over the chest thumping around "WELCOME TO D1 SPORTZ BRAH."

For some D1 athletes, getting the scholarship and competing at that level is the goal in itself.

I recall Moyer being the kid that wanted to be a heart surgeon or something, and playing basketball was a way to achieve that.

Career as a heart surgeon > 4 years of hoop

If it was my kid, go right ahead and thump your chest. Someday when you thump your chest because you're going into cardiac arrest he'll be the doctor on call to save you.

That's what D3 sports are for, brah.

No its called welcome to the world of a HOFC who is going to ruin the progran he has spent 42 years building. JB has become his father. I hope for his sake he reverses this trend because it wont end well for him. If you know him he is a good person who does so much for our community and his players. I dont want to see him ruin what should be a great legacy.

So after 42 years he’s decided to ruin the program when his own son is coming in next year? I don’t see that.

First off, the Moyer's are great people. Those in this thread who are saying for them/ Matt to hit the bricks are making me sick. Matt and his family were very loyal to SU after the sanctions came down but you know, what have you done for me lately?

I'm not sure how anyone can watch the presser and not say JB's questioning Matt's heart. JB said (I'm paraphrasing obviously) that he (JB) had a sprained ankle as a player and jumped off both ankles. That's more than strongly implying that Matt could do the same. Also, saying 60% of Matt would help the team is implying that Matt has that much in the tank but doesn't want to use it.

I think what probably happened here is Matt has been playing at much less than 100% (you know, because he has such little heart:rolleyes:). JB indicated that Matt looked fine in a couple practices but we don't know how he's feeling. What that also tells me is JB was blindsided by Matt's inavailability and that clearly bothered JB.

Matt's mom said that Matt was having problems pushing off on the bad ankle. In her Facebook post, she basically said that Matt playing at less than 100% isn't helping the team. I don't think it's a pain management thing; it sounds like Matt couldn't push off the ankle and felt like he couldn't play effectively. Obviously, JB is the person who needs to decide if Matt needs to shut it down after talking to the medical staff. I agree with that. But why are they trusting Bourama to say he doesn't think he can go and not Matt?

I clearly think JB was pissed off about the timing of all this and what he felt was Matt's father undermining JB's authority. Maybe there could've been better communication along the way.

My issue with it is: what does the presser accomplish, other than JB stroking his own ego and asserting his authority? As others have said, couldn't JB have simply said Matt wasn't available today after practicing twice this week? Just leave it at that. The rest of it hurts the relationship with the parents and probably with Matt too.

I don't think we are trying to show Matt the door to free up a slot for next year but this kind of crap by JB is a big reason why players have been finding the exit. And without Hop as a buffer to soothe things, this sort of thing could crop up more often.
Agree with just about everything here...but I think JBs comments about being able to push off with both feet and Matt being 60% was directly aimed at the parents...not Matt. Essentially saying, I'll tell you if he can help the team and I know that he can in fact.

The facebook bit about "Matt coming to his senses" reeks of mom and dad telling the kid what he should do.

Their son is hurt.
They aren’t bitching about PT or micromanaging his career.
They are advising their kid not to play when isn’t feeling good enough to play.
JB can be pissed about this privately but saying anything publicly does nobody any good.
Moyer’s parents aren’t wrong to advise their son if he is hurt.
Moyer was cleared by the medical staff.
Parents tend to err on the side of caution (myself included).
That doesn’t mean they’re right (myself included).
For all we know, Moyer wanted to play and his parents pressured him to sit.
And did they advise him to sit because he’s hurt or because he’s hurt and we were playing Wake?

that's a valid opinion . . . i am on the record that jb should have been fired because the program culture under him has gone bad.

but what he actually said today was so minor. he threw no one "under the bus," he didn't pick a fight with the family. the response on this thread is wildly disproportionate to what actually occurred
That is our thing here

For some reason I envision Jimmy Hart as Townie's manager.

I have absolutely no idea who Jimmy Hart is or what Wrestlemania entails. But that you two do gives me a picture of your other sports interests.

Matt's mom said that Matt was having problems pushing off on the bad ankle. In her Facebook post, she basically said that Matt playing at less than 100% isn't helping the team. I don't think it's a pain management thing; it sounds like Matt couldn't push off the ankle and felt like he couldn't play effectively. Obviously, JB is the person who needs to decide if Matt needs to shut it down after talking to the medical staff. I agree with that. But why are they trusting Bourama to say he doesn't think he can go and not Matt?

Who are all these players exiting the doors because of this crap? You can say Thompson but his mother never wanted him here in the first place. The 6 straight guys getting drafted in the first round left because of $$$$, right, wrong or indifferent. Kaleb left because he wasn’t playing. I’m struggling thinking of who else left and am too lazy to research it.

Last edited:
The odds are long that the future will be as good as the past and that’s the day you think you are looking forward to?

You’re right about this.

But that doesn’t mean that boeheim is without flaws or that these self-inflicted wounds aren’t worthy of criticism (maybe not 15 pages worth of criticism). It is possible for someone to hold these two ideas simultaneously - boeheim is a great coach that Syracuse will struggle to replace, and sometimes he does or says stupid things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom